GC and piston slap

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think two things effect piston slap relating to the oil specifically and that is viscosity and the amount of additives it has. Redline is loaded with Moly and ZDP, makes engines quieter in more cases then not. M1 is thin and API, and has a tendency not to supress piston slap. Piston Slap is not harmful btw so don't worry about it.

You might try a different brand of oil filter. I have had brand F filters many years ago make all kinds of noise on cold starts.

quote:

Originally posted by GB:
Dumb question for a newbe, but what is GC?

GC stands for German Castrol, it's the 0w30 Syntec that is sold at Autozone which says made in Germany on the label. In Canada it's at Walmart, Canadian Tire and Parts Source

quote:

Originally posted by GB:

GB

Search on "German Castrol". Is is Castrol's Syntec synthetic oil, made in Germany, only in 0w-30 @ Autozone. A PAO based synthetic oil, not a Group III based oil like the other Syntec oil weights.

quote:

Originally posted by GB:

GB

You can do a search and find out more than you will ever need to know about this oil, about elves, the Black Forest, and the Elixer of Life, Love, Lubricity and Longevity (if this sounds crazy {I imagine it does} do the search). But to give you a quick answer: GC stands for German Castrol. It is a particular grade of Castrol Syntec (0W-30) sold only at Autozone in the US and sold at Wal-mart and Canadian Tire in Canada) that is made in Germany and which we STRONGLY believe is the formula sold in Europe under the name SLX. We believe it is PAO with a strong ester component and it has been giving some really nice UOAs...some as in REALLY NICE. Patman recently turned in a sterling report from his Vette, which had seen some drag strip time. This oil, because it is from Europe and is green and some think smells like Gummy Bears has developed a mystique all its own to which I have contributed unashamedly...hence the elves and the Black Forest and the Elixer of....Please make no mistake, despite all the fun, it is a Hall of Fame oil in my opinion and I think some others would echo that.

Hope this helps.

I like brautwurst and beer, maybe I'll give this GC a try!!
cheers.gif

GB

quote:

Originally posted by GB:
I like brautwurst and beer, maybe I'll give this GC a try!!
cheers.gif

GB

Just remember not to put too much SLX (GC, nein) on your wurst the first time...it is pretty...powerful...stuff.
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:

quote:

Originally posted by GB:

GB

You can do a search and find out more than you will ever need to know about this oil, about elves, the Black Forest, and the Elixer of Life, Love, Lubricity and Longevity (if this sounds crazy {I imagine it does} do the search). But to give you a quick answer: GC stands for German Castrol. It is a particular grade of Castrol Syntec (0W-30) sold only at Autozone in the US and sold at Wal-mart and Canadian Tire in Canada) that is made in Germany and which we STRONGLY believe is the formula sold in Europe under the name SLX. We believe it is PAO with a strong ester component and it has been giving some really nice UOAs...some as in REALLY NICE. Patman recently turned in a sterling report from his Vette, which had seen some drag strip time. This oil, because it is from Europe and is green and some think smells like Gummy Bears has developed a mystique all its own to which I have contributed unashamedly...hence the elves and the Black Forest and the Elixer of....Please make no mistake, despite all the fun, it is a Hall of Fame oil in my opinion and I think some others would echo that.

Hope this helps.

But what to do now? I have scoured the local AZ, and hit 3 of the 5 in Saint Louis (Go Cards!) and captured the last 26 quarts from those places. All the rest in stock has a different label, with the more common statement "Made in USA from Foreign and Domestic components". With as much interest as there is in this oil, someone needs to make arrangements to have the real deal, SLX shipped in from UK. It should be possible. I found a source for Shell Advance Racing X for my MX bike in Australia, and even with shipping it was less than some domestic "Racing" oils available here. Any thoughts?

I give you ESTERS lots of em Castrol Startup. No little man with 7Lb hammer in your motor knocking away,no Rattles or Rock & Roll. Just a nice smooth oil.Buy it,TRY IT, your engine will thank you......
cheers.gif

I really wouldn't lose much sleep over a slight tick at start-up. I thought my 99 Grand Am had bad piston slap; you all should hear my 94 Corolla!!!! Between the piston slap and the valvetrain, it sounds like it'll explode everytime I start it!
crushedcar.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back