Amsoil helped the slap

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mike,
Good info Thanks. The heavier oil took up some of the clearance which is probally why it is quieter.

I read on PUTC about a member's 01 6.0 chevy slapardo.He too was told that the noise was normal and harmless.He had someone scope the cylinder and significant scoring of the cylinder wall was occuring in all 8,with 2 in particular being excessive. With this documentation he was able to lemon law his truck,GM bought it back from him and lost a long time customer.

I too see the inability of any oil to stop the "rocking" of the piston causing the skirt to hit the wall.It may deaden the sound,but to fill the gap between ring and wall,it does not compute.

quote:

Originally posted by tirefryer:
OK Tuong I just wanted to make sure in was not an LS1. The LS1 requires a heavier oil than 0W30.

Very wrong friend...actually the GC 0-30 and/or the Amsoil 0-30 is thicker than what GM calls for in its owners manual...which is a 5-30...

offtopic.gif

Pablo, I tried clicking on the Amsoil link below your name and it's not working for me? AR

quote:

I read on PUTC about a member's 01 6.0 chevy slapardo.He too was told that the noise was normal and harmless.He had someone scope the cylinder and significant scoring of the cylinder wall was occuring in all 8,with 2 in particular being excessive. With this documentation he was able to lemon law his truck,GM bought it back from him and lost a long time customer.

But that is not failure. I have a relative who works (service Tech) in a Buick-Olds-GMC dealer, Since the 5.3L engine design came out they have not had one engine failure over this issue. Not one in over 1000 truck sold. He said at one training session they were told that Chevy was getting engines back that when torn down had absolutely nothing wrong with them. Dealer replaced engine to make customer happy. They have 1999 commerical trucks out there who make noise and are over 200,000 miles. Still running, so just because scoring is found does not indicate something is terminal. That scoring was more likely due to the owners negligence in maintanence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back