Amsoil S2K 0W-30 in my LS1 issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just put some Amsoil s2k 0W-30 and larger NAPA 1522 oil filter in my 02 Camaro with the LS1. My motor sounds like crap now.

I bought the car used with 35K miles and the previous owner used 5W-30 dino oil on 3K-5K OCI's. Before the change to Amsoil the car sounded really good, now I have a lots of valvetrain noise at operating temp and warm start-up piston slap is really loud, but only lasts for about 15 seconds. The motor sounds really good for about 20-30 seconds on a cold startup before the clak of piston slap sets in. At temp the piston slap goes away.

I've read a ton of threads on here about the LS1 and the Amsoil 0W-30 seemed like a good choice especially now that winter is approaching(car will be stored for winter though) I'm second guessing myself now because of the racket the motor makes, probably should've got Amsoil 5W-40. I'm actually replacing my pushrods and valve springs next week, so maybe there is an issue that I might identify when I tear the valvetrain apart. Also I'm kicking myself for not doing a UOA on the oil that came out of it
frown.gif

Reading your scenario make me say
pat.gif
to myself. I would have NEVER recommended this oil in this situation -especially since you are working on the motor next week. When you get the work done, yes the 5W-40 would be a good choice or ASL or ATM or HDD or ACD.

offtopic.gif
Funny though, just the other day a guy got attacked here for saying how nice his Toyota sounded after putting 0W-30 in. Let's see how those folks sound off here!

I was going to wait until spring to do the rods and valve springs(LS6 springs and hardened chrome moly rods) because I was going to to a small cam at the same time, but now I'm going to do the valvetrain right now to see if there is actually something wrong like a bent rod or something. The car is all stock right now.

I would run AutoRx first, then try it again. I don't think it's the oil. If it's the new stuff, you might have the more thin Amsoil 0w-30 which is now about as thin as M1. That could be it also. Amsoil 0w-30 doesn't usually have this effect.

I'll start with filter and report back, Ill just pick up the correct size Amsoil SDF32 and see what happens. If worse comes to worse I can drain it because I have another car that is due for a change that I can just put the 0W-30 in.

I was under the impression that NAPA's were WIX? Should I go with the smaller correct size NAPA filter? I have access to Baldwin as well.

Many a LS1 FBody and GTO run Amsoil 0-30...
I run it in my 04 GTO and have no noise/problems at all...zero/none/nada.....
I'd be curious of what the seller had in it....If I read your post correctly you just bought the car and this is your first oil change.....used car salesman used to put 50 weight motor oil and slick 50 or STP to quieten things down to sell them...I wounder if this is what is happening.....

Could be bc the new reformulated Amsoil 0w-30 is no longer a thicker 30wt oil. It's only 10.4 cSt and has a HT/HS of 3.3.

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
Could be bc the new reformulated Amsoil 0w-30 is no longer a thicker 30wt oil. It's only 10.4 cSt and has a HT/HS of 3.3.

But he mentioned the previous owner used 5w30 dino oil, so certainly that oil he previously had in there was around the same viscosity (10.4) or perhaps even less. I think it could be the oil filter, probably a bad ADBV on it.

Thats true Patman. I think what you said about the oil filter could be the problem.

I just changed to Amsoil 0w30 in my Max. Have some left and will get a VOA since I am not sure if I have the old or the new. If it is the new, I might have well stayed with M1 10W30 EP.

The product data sheets have been updated for the ASL/ATM. Not the TSO. Should be soon. Amsoil 30wts are now identical to Mobil's.

Hey man, get a quart of 10w30 (ATM or Mobil 1)and add to that 0w30. Should quiet it right down without having to change out the oil.

You can't won't even know the difference.

I'm voting for the filter as well. Bigger does not always equal better. In this case, the anti-drainback valve is probably the culprit. Worse than that is you don't know what the bypass valve is set for. It might bypass at a much lower pressure and leave your LS1 pumping unfiltered blood during critical moments. Stick with the filter size that the manufacturer recommends and use a known good quality filter such as an AC Delco, PureONE, Mobil1, etc. If there is any damage to the valve train, and I doubt there will be, the filter could definitely do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back