Gates water pump quality?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well the underside of the Jeeps water pump is wet and it is coolant so it's time to replace it. I am moving in a month and I don't have $131 for a factory pump. Is Gates a quality brand or should I look somewhere else?? Thanks guys!

Gates pumps from what I've seen are buyouts from other mfgr's.
you are getting a new pump but it could be made by GMB, aisin, Cardone, etc.. the gates pumps I've seen in the timing belt kits
have the casting #'s grinded off, and sometimes you can tell who made it.
I'd have no fear using a Gates w/p

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 229
My Gates belt tensioner was the same as factory. Factory belts and hoses are made by Gates.

You're mostly right.

The tensioner body is cast by the same foundry (usually Littens), but the bearing in the wheel is never of O.E. quality.

Same as with belts and hoses. Sure, Gates made them for the O.E.M., but their aftermarket stuff isn't the same.

As for their water pumps, The ones I've seen have been Chinese re-boxes, and I can guaranty you that the bearings and seal parts are not of O.E. quality.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
Originally Posted By: 229
My Gates belt tensioner was the same as factory. Factory belts and hoses are made by Gates.

You're mostly right.

The tensioner body is cast by the same foundry (usually Littens), but the bearing in the wheel is never of O.E. quality.

Same as with belts and hoses. Sure, Gates made them for the O.E.M., but their aftermarket stuff isn't the same.

As for their water pumps, The ones I've seen have been Chinese re-boxes, and I can guaranty you that the bearings and seal parts are not of O.E. quality.

Why would gates make and put an inferior belt/hoses in the stores vs. OE? Considering their name is all over it, thus putting their reputation on the line and out there more so then the factory non labeled part.

MarkM66 Why would gates make and put an inferior belt/hoses in the stores vs. OE? Considering their name is all over it said:
They make aftermarket cheaper so they can stay in business. Just because aftermarket is made to a lesser spec than OE doesn't mean it is inferior to the extent Gates (or any other parts manufacturer)is risking their reputation. OE parts have to withstand new car warranties which are getting ridiculously good, eg 10 years/100k miles. Most aftermarket parts have to last a year or so.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: artbuc
Originally Posted By: MarkM66

Why would gates make and put an inferior belt/hoses in the stores vs. OE? Considering their name is all over it, thus putting their reputation on the line and out there more so then the factory non labeled part.

They make aftermarket cheaper so they can stay in business. Just because aftermarket is made to a lesser spec than OE doesn't mean it is inferior to the extent Gates (or any other parts manufacturer)is risking their reputation. OE parts have to withstand new car warranties which are getting ridiculously good, eg 10 years/100k miles. Most aftermarket parts have to last a year or so.

Well said.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back