Gates timing belt kit, opinions?

It will soon be time to do the timing belt/tensioner/pulley/water pump on my wife's 2016 Acura RDX. The shop I like uses a Gates kit. I have read that the Gates kit uses Chinese components. Does anyone have any long term experience with the Gates kit? I don't know if I can persuade them to use an Aisin or Honda OEM kit.

Persuade?? You’re the customer, with the cash.

Tell them you’re willing to pay the premium for dealer sourced parts because you want OE only. If that’s a problem, go elsewhere. This isn’t rocket science.

While the Gates kit may be ok, I’d be concerned with Chinese bearings and seals in a low cost kit for such a critical application. Gates, or Dayco or anyone else isn’t the issue. It’s when they don’t source OE quality stuff and source third world parts in the kit. If you knew everything was high quality I’d be less concerned, but if you know already that it’s Chinese stuff… and have to ask… I’d much rather have peace of mind.

Last edited:
Hard pass on the Gates, I don't even like using the Continental kits. Aisin only on Honda's. You'll see when you open the package: the water pump has a pad ground down where the original Honda logo was located. The literally just pull OEM pumps off the line, grind off the "H", and package them in their own kits.

You'll see when you open the package: the water pump has a pad ground down where the original Honda logo was located. The literally just pull OEM pumps off the line, grind off the "H", and package them in their own kits.
You’re thinking of Aisin timing belt kits for Toyotas.

Aisin has not made water pumps for the J-series V6 in over 10 years. Yamada is the OE supplier for the Honda V6 pumps.

The only thing OE about these kits are the idlers. Everything else is aftermarket. It is a decent kit, but not quite OE quality. The belt is more cheaply made than the real Honda timing belt. The pump is fine but they do sometimes cause the “warbling” sound.

Aisin has not made water pumps for the J-series V6 in over 10 years. Yamada is the OE supplier for the Honda V6 pumps.

The only thing OE about these kits are the idlers. Everything else is aftermarket. It is a decent kit, but not quite OE quality. The belt is more cheaply made than the real Honda timing belt. The pump is fine but they do sometimes cause the “warbling” sound.

Huh, I know for a fact that I've had the WP in the Aisin kit showing a ground down pad.... Then again, I knock out J-series timing jobs so often I really don't pay attention.

To be honest, the only two components that matter to me on a J-series timing set are the WP and the hydraulic tensioner. These engines are easy on their timing belts, as it goes. Outside normal maintenance, I only replace them when there's signs of coolant leakage or (more commonly) the tensioner fails, causing the infamous rattle noise.

It's still amazing to me, by the way, that the J35 (and likely others in the family) can survive a complete tensioner failure yet come in running fine with nothing more than the rattle. Try that with any other belt driven timing design!

Huh, I know for a fact that I've had the WP in the Aisin kit showing a ground down pad.... Then again, I knock out J-series timing jobs so often I really don't pay attention.
Never seen a Aisin w/p from the Honda kit with any ground-down logo. Toyota ones, yes.

To be honest, the only two components that matter to me on a J-series timing set are the WP and the hydraulic tensioner. These engines are easy on their timing belts, as it goes. Outside normal maintenance, I only replace them when there's signs of coolant leakage or (more commonly) the tensioner fails, causing the infamous rattle noise.

It's still amazing to me, by the way, that the J35 (and likely others in the family) can survive a complete tensioner failure yet come in running fine with nothing more than the rattle. Try that with any other belt driven timing design!
Watch Wes Work youtube channel had an Accord with a failed tensioner. That noise would scare the pants off me, but I'm sure there are people driving around like that every day.

I too am shocked the engines survive that...I'd crap myself and tow the car home.

Stick with OE Honda. If that’s out of the question, at the very least use a OE Honda WP, it’s a Yamada and a Gates belt/hardware kit(unless that uses Chinese parts - verify with the label on the box). Last time I used a Gates TCK, it was for a Subaru and the idlers/tensioner was made in Japan. Last I heard, the Gates components are Chinese.

Found this..

Screenshot_20220710-001940_Opera.jpg

At about 220K miles my sons 1996 Toyota Corolla, 1.8 engine, needed a new timing belt. He bought a DAYCO kit (w/p, tensioner, belt, pulleys, gaskets, oil seals, spark plug grommets, bypass hose, t-stat & gasket, etc.
Currently with 260K miles it runs as quiet as a church mouse, and very smooth.

Not doubting you, but how do you know this about the TB itself? I compared the original with the replacement Mitsuboshi belt and it appeared identical in every way. I believe the OE belt is a Mitsuboshi too

If Aisin makes one go w it, never any issues with theres. I would never use Gates again for timing kit, esp water pump. Had several Gates water pumps fail w my last one being on my kids Protege. The water pump fail within a year and you have to pull the timing belt to get it off. Had others water pumps fail withing dhort periods of time as well. Have written them off, just my .02 warning.

And tell them they are not using it on your car, Period. Buy an Aisin kit and take it to them and tell them to use it. If they balk at using your parts go somewhere else. Plenty of shops will use your parts or specific ones you tell them to. It's your car.

The maintenance records that came with the Legend show the timing belt and related parts were replaced with Honda OEM parts at 137k miles (1993) and at 266k miles (2000). The odo now shows ~446k miles. I'd go OEM if Honda hasn't discontinued the parts for it.

Yes, long overdue for replacement. Funny thing is, no where in the factory literature is there any timing belt replacement interval for this engine. I have yet to find any specific to this model year and engine (and probably won't).

I have a Gates kit (TCK129) I bought in 2011 stashed away someplace. The kit is just a belt, tensioner and spring. Hopefully, the NOS water pump and idler is with the belt kit box.

Back