Gates High Pressure Power Steering hoses

I have and found them overpriced, and the fitment left something to be desired. The hose seems to be holding up ok several years later.

I think the Sunsong hoses are a better option. Price and fitment is usually better.

The Sunsung are better fitting lines and IMO better quality if they are available. Fittings are the same as OE, they are clocked correctly which is huge, nice crimps and all the OE rubber isolators are in the correct places and all the hose has correct approvals and specs.
Chinese, yes but like a few other manufacturers there are not doing cheap knock offs but are a legit business trying to make a quality product and raising the aftermarket bar doing it. Other well known brand names rebox their product, the term Chicom junk is not applicable in this case.

Some Sunsong products are perfect, some not so much. The set of PS lines I bought for my ECHO were identical to the OE ones I removed, right down to the clocking marks on the pipes and hoses. They fit perfect and are still going today.

But the set of Sunsong hoses I bought for my Accord did not fit at all. The diameter of the hose was too small and it would have been quite a struggle to get them to fit. I returned them and bought OEM which fit like they should.

Nothing is perfect right. I never had any that did not fit like they should even on some real obsure stuff where nothing else was available.

I purchased Gates PS hoses for my Buick on Rock Auto more than 5 years ago. Don't remember prices, but they fit nicely and they're in service and holding fine 5 years later.

Thanks for the input everyone. I ended up ordering a Gates for my son’s 2011 Silverado, and for my 2008 3/4 ton with hydro boost, because there were no AC Delco’s in stock from Rock Auto, I ordered two high pressure lines made by Sunsong. One is from the pump to the hydro boost unit and one is from the hydro boost unit to the steering gear. The have fairly complex tubing bends, so this will be a good test. They were half the cost of AC Delco. Thanks again.

Last edited:
We did my son’s 2011 Silverado today. Firstly here is the gates hose and a comparison of the gates hose with the factory GM hose. Not absolutely identical but totally inconsequential.

C301D618-5391-4356-BE50-484A0C3728BD.jpeg5FA510EE-D051-40A6-808B-47F01EF26C1C.jpeg30F4EA21-94B8-4AA3-8EA2-D2CBDB8AE04A.jpeg

We also decided to replace the power steering gear to power steering cooler hose. My local Lordco parts store had an Edelmann. Here it is, and here is how the Gates high pressure hose from the pump to steering gear links up with the Edelmann steering gear hose to power steering cooler, so they press into the seals on a boss on the steering gear. They were made to fit together.

61D55D64-83FF-4A8B-B0B3-48F34A364CD9.jpeg13ADE0E1-62A2-4E62-B5FA-301D3E85DC8E.jpegB2D1F1C7-1AB6-4C5E-866F-E5C03B936A0B.jpeg

Last edited:
One last thing. The Gates bag and Edelmann bags were identical except for stickers with the brand name and description. Both bags said “ Pews and Edelmann “ in the lower right hand corner of the back of the bag suggesting Edelmann also sells to Gates.

49E35DCF-667B-47D0-B51E-9B05B1D60CC8.jpeg9408AD32-A21C-4709-8F2F-86AC5DA3B880.jpeg68B397DC-53D9-469E-B497-6D4F7DB6D821.jpeg

Last edited:
Back