Gasoline prices in Germany

Status
Not open for further replies.
Expensive oil changes, $250 inc filter on a big sump is not unheard of! Unlike like the USA where they throw this stuff after you for chump change and people still want to save pennies running cheap dino or trying to get every tenth of a mile out of the oil. Makes no sense at all.

Wow! That's 95 Euros for 5 litres of Mobil 1 5W-30, and 100 Euros for 5 litres of Castrol EDGE 5W-30 - which is 19 Euros/litre for the Mobil 1, and 20 Euros/l for the Castrol. That works out to about C$30/l on average.

That's way more expensive than buying Liqui Moly motor oil here - I saw it at NAPA the other day, for about C$100 for 5 l of 5W-30. That's C$20/l. I presume (perhaps incorrectly) it would be less expensive in Germany. (So then why would someone in Germany buy more expensive Mobil 1 or Castrol EDGE?)
confused.gif

Its hard on oil and the engine being driven longer distances with the throttle wide open. I cost me $125 US to do an OC on my bike.
Liqui Moly makes a good oil and yes its cheaper than the others top offerings but isn't quite on the same shelf as Castrol Edge full synthetic, Mobil 1 ESP or Shell Helix Ultra.
Castrol and Shell Helix Ultra 0w30 5w50 and 10w60 and Mobil 1 0w30 ESP A3/B4 are my personal favorite oils.

Last edited:
Interesting, I figured that Liqui Moly was the best of the best. I assumed it met all of those stringent VW and MB requirements. Thanks for the information - I'll stick with Mobil 1 and feel good about it.

Originally Posted By: Number_35
So what's that for our American friends? Right now the Euro = $1.17 USD. So based on that June price in Friedrichshafen, a litre of regular with ethanol would be 1.479 x 1.17 = US$1.73.

US$1.73/l x 3.78 l/US gallon = US$6.54/US gallon.
I worked for a Norwegian company for nearly a quarter of a century and the first time that I traveled there (1997) and saw the prices of gasoline, I thought they were not too bad. Until I realized the prices were per liter and after I did the conversion it was just shy of $9.00 per gallon. When we were complaining about $4 a gallon here in the US not so long ago, my European friends had no sympathy. It is not a 1:1 though, there are many social and governmental differences in the economies that must be taken into account. One of that last times that I went through the Netherlands, I made it a point to see what types of oil they had and was floored at the prices (granted these were 7-11 prices), but it was north of $18 per quart (liter) for Total and Castrol synthetics (which I assume to be "real" synthetics).

In other parts of Europe the Synthetics can be group III and still called synthetic like in the USA, if its Germany and labeled a full synthetic it is a "true" synthetic. The only grey area are the GTL products.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back