Gasoline prices in Germany

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think they have ethanol in Europe. Ethanol is strictly a Northamerican (US in particular) phenomenunm implemented to appease the farmers of the corn belt for their votes.

And one additional hint.....dont ever try to fill your tank on a highway....fuel prices on highway stations are way pricier then in any village right behind any "ausfahrt" table....in general (in Germany and Austria)JET Petrol stations are the cheapest....never had any problems with their gas

Whenever you will have to fill your car....just jump off the highway....the further away from highway that "tankstelle" is the cheaper the gasoline will be

Same goes for Austria....Italy....

In France pay attention when you will be asked if you want to be served ( that petrol guy will try to fill your tank for you)...you will pay additional fee for that "hospitality"
smile.gif

EDIT: you can also download Android aplications for nearby gas stations....and their prices

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
This is more due to the fact that oil prices went pretty low last year so oil production has been cut back significantly and the prices have shot up in the past months.
Although ofcourse you Americans and Canadians have your own oil reserves and do not depend anywhere near as much on foreign oil

But we don't get universal healthcare from the government either.

Do you know how much we get taxed on our salary to pay for the subpar healthcare in addition to higher gas taxes? Not to get political but say you make 30$ an hour..and work 75 hrs over 2 weeks..you will get a paycheck of about 1450$ out of your earned 2250$. In Quebec at least...other provinces might get a tad more...

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
This is more due to the fact that oil prices went pretty low last year so oil production has been cut back significantly and the prices have shot up in the past months.
Although ofcourse you Americans and Canadians have your own oil reserves and do not depend anywhere near as much on foreign oil

Do you know how much we get taxed on our salary to pay for the subpar healthcare in addition to higher gas taxes? Not to get political but say you make 30$ an hour..and work 75 hrs over 2 weeks..you will get a paycheck of about 1450$ out of your earned 2250$. In Quebec at least...other provinces might get a tad more...
Yep, free healthcare isn't free unless you don't pay taxes.

We just spent two weeks in Croatia. Absolutely marvelous place! Recommend!!!

Rented a Peugeot 5008 with a 6-speed, and drove it from one end of the country to the other Zagreb to Dubrovnik. About 400 miles. The most AMAZING drive of my life. The roads are so narrow and fast that I was constantly fighting the lane assist to not hit oncoming trucks. And the road maintenance Unimogs don't put out warning signs - you just come around a mountain bend and hit the brakes because there they are!

Anyway the awesome Peugeot (with folding tray tables and hidden storage under the floors) returned over 30 mph, despite speeds over 100 mpg and elevation changes up to 10,000 feet. On the whole trip I filled up once, and another 4 gallons before I returned the car to Sixt.

At $9/gallon, I didn't mind one bit.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07

That works out to about a 35% tax rate. That's not too hard to hit in the US. Maybe a 15-20% federal tax rate, around 5-8% state, then there's also social security around 7.65%. Average for healthcare in the US now is about 10k a person a year. That includes premiums, deducibles and other out of pocket costs.

I believe Canadians are spending about 11.5% of GDP on healthcare and the per person cost is about $6,600 so that may account for some subpar factor although some feel the same way in the US although ours are about a 1/3 more.

Originally Posted By: antonmnster
We just spent two weeks in Croatia. Absolutely marvelous place! Recommend!!!

Rented a Peugeot 5008 with a 6-speed, and drove it from one end of the country to the other Zagreb to Dubrovnik. About 400 miles. The most AMAZING drive of my life. The roads are so narrow and fast that I was constantly fighting the lane assist to not hit oncoming trucks. And the road maintenance Unimogs don't put out warning signs - you just come around a mountain bend and hit the brakes because there they are!

Anyway the awesome Peugeot (with folding tray tables and hidden storage under the floors) returned over 30 mpg, despite speeds over 100 mpg and elevation changes up to 10,000 feet. On the whole trip I filled up once, and another 4 gallons before I returned the car to Sixt.

At $9/gallon, I didn't mind one bit.

I am originally from Bosnia, so familiar with Croatia a lot since we were in same country, Yugoslavia.
Highest peak in Croatia is at 6,003ft.
So, I could probably drive those roads you did with closed eyes, but I cannot figured where did you get elevation change of 10,000ft? There is no any road between Zagreb and Dubrovnik that is above 4000ft.
Also, gas in Croatia is bit cheaper then in Germany, so not sure how did you pay $9. Currently price of liter of diesel in Croatia is $1.65 or $6.237 per gallon.
Everything else I agree with. If you took strictly coast road through Dalmatia and not highway, it is beautiful. However, that was for a long time deadliest major road in Europe, also for a reason.

I am asking myself the same question...how did he find that drive on a highway from Zagreb to Dubrovnik so amazing...because in reality it is really boring
smile.gif
That coastal road you mentioned towards Dalmatia is different story though...scenic...it reminds me on "their" movie scenes from 90's when actor is driving along the California coast in a convertible...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kamele0N
I am asking myself the same question...how did he find that drive on a highway from Zagreb to Dubrovnik so amazing...because in reality it is really boring
smile.gif
That coastal road you mentioned towards Dalmatia is different story though...scenic...it reminds me on "their" movie scenes from 90's when actor is driving along the California coast in a convertible...

Well, HWY does not go all the way to Dubrovnik. You still have to navigate those two lane narrow slick roads. And it is nice drive.

Originally Posted By: 555
Lowest octane in Europe is 91.

Europe is using different methodology. Cannot remember which one we use and which one they.
91 in US is equivalent of 95 in Europe.

Can we not turn this into a political discussion about taxes and healthcare or whatever as always
PLEASE
If you want to have that discussion do it elsehwere, here all you will do is get the thread locked down.

These were parts store prices a couple of years ago. Keep in mind Germany taxes oils not only on quantity but base stock used also, synthetics are taxed at a higher rate or at least they did last I knew but I doubt that changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back