Gaskets and High Mileage Oil

I've wonder if you found a deal on HM oil would it have any ill effects on the seals (swelling) on a new car. Could you switch back and forth between HM and regular on a new car ?

I've wonder if you found a deal on HM oil would it have any ill effects on the seals (swelling) on a new car. Could you switch back and forth between HM and regular on a new car ?
Yes. They both likely carry the same API license and therefore meet the same seal swell requirements. Even if they don’t you can still do it. Is there a warning on the container saying you cannot?

I got HM on sale really cheap and use it in my Carvan at 10k. You can use HM oil in new cars according to Mobil and Valvoline.

How many have used high mileage Castrol and Mobil 1 alternating? I want to try Mobil 1 in my Camry but have been using Castrol with no issues. Most likely I will continue using what works for me. The Mobil 1 HM is a few dollars cheaper currently.

There used to be a Valvoline TV commercial with an animated depiction of some valve seals getting their cracks welded shut and all the rubber material made new again. I miss that commercial.

It is said the HM oil swell, expands, or conditions engine seals, but what about gaskets such as valve cover gaskets, water pump gaskets, and timing belt/chain covers. Do these gaskets get oiled enough, or even oiled at all, to benefit from an HM oil?

My limited experience (one car, one oil) suggests that HM oil is of little or no use for some of these leaks and seeps. But I was trying to stop or slow an existing leak, not prevent a leak from starting. So, can an HM oil help prevent gasket leaks?
Why don't you try it and get back to us?

Everytime I used HM oil mostly for rear main seals, the leaks worsened. I may help some leaky seals but I doubt gaskets.

How many have used high mileage Castrol and Mobil 1 alternating? I want to try Mobil 1 in my Camry but have been using Castrol with no issues. Most likely I will continue using what works for me. The Mobil 1 HM is a few dollars cheaper currently.

No, but I alternate my toothpastes the same way. I'm thinking that different toothpastes have different additive packages, and if I alternate I can get the benefit of both.

I wonder if the same principle can be applied to motor oil?

I've never been able to notice anything from running a HM oil. Currently have a Ford 3.0 that doesn't leak, but does consume oil which i suspect may be some minor burning. Doubt a HM oil would help with that.

Everytime I used HM oil mostly for rear main seals, the leaks worsened. I may help some leaky seals but I doubt gaskets.
Over time the crank and harmonic balancer get grooved out and no seal containers will help. You can sleeve the balancer, I’m not sure about the crank. How come there’s no high mileage Diesel oil?

Back