Gas Re-formulation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I filled up my ex500 on Shell about a month ago & seemed to get about 25 miles more on the tank.

Then when it went empty, I went back to my old standby Union 76 gas. It ran good, but the mileage dropped back about 20 miles.

After that tank emptied, I filled again with Shell and now back up to achieving about 20-25 miles more on the tank

Question: Did Shell reformulate with a corn-gas blend that is making a difference? Same price as Unocal....but if this keeps up, I'm switching to Shell.

GL

btw: this is gas coming from NorCal....as far as I can tell.

Last edited:
Greg,
I have noticed the same thing. Unical always gives less fuel mileage in not only my bikes but the cars I own as well. I only use Chevron 91 in my bikes. I lose 20-30 miles per tank if I use Unical in my BMW. 100 octane mixed with Chevron 91 goes in my HD. I stopped using Unical a few years ago because of this. Believe it or not, I get better mileage with both Valero and Arco than Unical in my cars. I avoid Unical at all costs. Costco and Safeway gas is better than Unical IMHO for mileage.

I use BP "Invigorate" with 100% Gas that is 92 Octane. Nice & peppy!

Originally Posted By: Greg L
Question: Did Shell reformulate with a corn-gas blend that is making a difference? Same price as Unocal....but if this keeps up, I'm switching to Shell.

Down here in old Dixie, Shell outperforms all other gases where mileage is concerned. However, it isn't a corn-gas blend; despite the hype of ethanol blended fuels, they actually have less energy per gallon than straight gasoline. Avoid all gases blended with ethanol and you'll get better mileage. Spread the word: Ethanol isn't the answer to our energy questions...not even close.

In my area ARCO and 76 WERE the only ones selling the cheaper 10% eth. garbage. But now ALL the brands have it. I'm guessing just like us searching out the cheapest gas, they are also.

We basically only got 2 fuels here, no matter which brand you buy. "Ungraded" and "Graded". Supposedly the supply, storage and tank standard were higher on the graded fuels, which here never had alcohol added. Now everyones on the cheap stuff.

I just drove 1218 miles in two days in a Penske 16' gas truck: one tank of gas was 10% ethanol and I got 10 mpg on that 300+ mile tank...

Other 3 tanks of regular unleaded gasolene were all 11+ mpg.

I hate reformulated gas!

I only run Shell V-Power or Sunoco Ultra in our H-Ds and find that the V-Power consistently gives about 2 more miles per gallon.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back