gas prices nearing/topping $3 here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interestingly, ExxonMobil recently reported it's best, most profitable quarter ever.

Yes, my stocks (not many) have gone up rather nicely. It didn't offset my increased fuel expenses to the point of being painless .....but...
dunno.gif

It was $2.05 here a few days ago at my favorite discount convenience store. Overnight it went to 2.25 for 87. This station appears to float directly with the price of crude. It does get 3-4 deliveries a day and frequently runs out on weekends for an hour or two. There's a brief lull in fuel sales from 10pm-4am. Otherwise, an empty pump is rare.

About a week ago the politicians passed a bill giving the oil firms a HUGE tax cut.

In a way, I revel at the high gas prices.

With time, I expect to see fewer and fewer BIG barges lumbering down the road.

Instead, I envision the majority of vehicles to be little critters.... lots of 2 cylinder cars weighing less than 1,000 pounds.

With today's technology itty bitty cars that could still haul a couple adults and 3 kidlings and some groceries can be made.

Consider how much more room there would be in the driving lanes. Lots of room in the parking spaces.

Parking could be altered..... make 1/2 or more of the spaces for the new class of teensy weensy cars. Less congestion!!!!

In high school my friend had a Honda 600. Despite urban myth the 2 cylinder engine was not a motorcycle engine, it was specifically designed for the car.

50 mpg was cool and, the critter was so small we could drive down sidewalks.... and did!!!!! When no one was on them, of course.

Room for four though you would not want to ride 500 miles in it but, the majority of driving is short distances!!! Rent a larger car for travelling distances.

If 75% of vehicles were the size of that Honda with that kind of mileage I would expect gas prices to fall due to less demand.

Of course, the feds and states will crank up the fuel taxes proclaining the lesser amount used results in less tax revenue.

New Honda Accord TDI gets 60mpg if you drive the speed limit, with more torque and useful horsepower than a gasser to boot. Why aren't people beating and kicking the politicians in order to make it legal for Honda to sell such vehicles here?

They are willing to change the laws with respect to daylight savings time, yet not change some of the more draconian machinations of the EPA? Ridiculous.

Whoa! Gas at my favorite cheapo conventience store was $2.07 last Sunday night. Went to $2.25 on Tues or Wed ...now it's $2.35 today. $0.28 in less then a week
shocked.gif
...and I'm one of the lucky ones. It's higher everywhere else.

coincidence? news stories on the local news and national last night about the gas prices. it keeps climbing. i'm hoping i can make it without filling up over the weekend, in hopes of it dropping monday or tuesday.

AAA gas price finder

can anyone beat the prices in zip 93117? $3.20 for premium.

I look at it as the long honeymoon with cheap fuel is over in the US. Even at $2.00 that is a relative bargain considering our average income in the US. Its terrible it hits the poor harder as dependence is great on cars as a whole in the US.

I think slowly and ever so slowly people's driving habits/commuting/consumer demands & choices will adapt to the new reality.

We're now seeing $1.02 per liter this morning in Toronto! First time ever over one dollar.
frown.gif

Thursday morning it was 96.8 cents, then in the evening some stations lowered it down to around 85.9. Friday morning the price was 99.2 everywhere (99% of the stations in Toronto that is) and by the evening some got down to 87.0 (I found it for 91.9) Now this morning it's $1.02. By this evening it'll probably be 95 cents, then it'll be back to $1.02 by morning. Our morning price remains the same for Sat, Sun and Mon morning. Then Tuesday morning they pick a new price based mostly on how crude oil does on Monday's session. Sounds funny, but our prices do indeed react instantly to whatever happens to the price of crude, even though it takes months for that crude's price to actually affect the price the gas stations pay for the fuel they sell.

quote:

Sounds funny, but our prices do indeed react instantly to whatever happens to the price of crude, even though it takes months for that crude's price to actually affect the price the gas stations pay for the fuel they sell.

Not at all odd. Sure the higher priced crude physically takes that long to get to the pump, but the price fluctuations make the inventory reflect that same price. If you're selling soy beans for a living ..and the current price goes high, you had better raise the price on your current inventory or you will be laying out cash to purchase your next shippment. There are certain things that just have to float with the current market price or you end up losing money. If you're making a dime a gallon, and your next load costs you a dime more, where's the money that you made? It's now suspended in your inventory and can't be recovered until you sell your last gallon of gas ...or you can hope to retain a dime higher price when your competition has gone back down to normalized prices.

I must admit, though, you seem to be more subject to speculation than our market. Here it simply goes on the announced current cost (based on the current cost of crude) and applied to the current inventory. The retailer contours his price to the current price so that he doesn't lose any money (tie it up) with buying his next load. If he doesn't ..he may never recover the price increase. Your market appears to be more like an electrical utility where they charge you peak price during peak demand ...and discount it when there is lower demand.

Regular unleaded hit $3.199 In Indy, this AM. Many stations are running out of gas!

Who is behind this gouging???

Last I heard, Texas City was A-OK and the Stratigic Oil Reserve was tapped???

You ain't seen nothing yet! They say 9 refinerys are out of commission due to Katrina, and the Mississipi can't be used by barges. This will not be a short term jump in gas prices.... Don't know how long to repair them, and then they need power. Some drilling rigs also out....

-

Other stations range from $2.79 around the corner to $3.17 in town. Gulf/Cumberland Farms has it tough and expensive for whatever reason.

A line formed at this place a block from my house for $2.60; I passed this line on my way home from work, got inspired, and took my last other vehicle down for a full tank. Yup, the one for sale (free plug) that I might just register, inspect, and keep a few weeks until I get the title. I'm rambling... eljefino's fleet is full! And I got to sit in a gas line, shades of the seventies, for the first time. Fortunately I could roll downhill and not idle the car.

You're almost trolling to lock a decent venting and griping thread there HEV.

Then we'll have to start a new thread to vent and gripe.
rolleyes.gif

Gas here jumped $.28 overnight. the cheapest one I've seen was $2.83, that was at a Chevron station and I doubt it's going to stay ike that very long. All the other stations are at $2.89. All the prices are for 87 unleaded. I'm so glad I got a Civic instead of the Accord that I wanted in the first place. If the prices goes any higher I won't be able to afford to drive even if I have a Civic. Rant off.

For once i'm happy I live in California as far as gas prices are concerned.
Good luck to anyone living in the south east.
 -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back