Gas Prices in Cali - Suck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yikes, thats expencive. $2.45 a gallon I paid for a tankful of shell yesterday, not too bad compared to you other guys.

Once had a friend who came over from calif for the week, when we stopped at the gas station, she commented the prices were so low ($3.00 a gallon). Guess it doesnt hurt that we have a few refineries in NJ.

As for $5 gas... don't jinx us on that, I drive an economy car too, and the difference in price I paid yesterday for gas (up 45 cents from earlier this year) was lunch.

I think now im going to be walking more, inflating my tires higher, and maybe get a better paying job.

It sucks even worse in Toronto. I paid $1.15 a liter this morning for 94 octane ($4.34 per gallon)

Last edited:
Quote:

According to this Site, the gas tax is very high in Cali (44.7) and NY (43.9). I suggest you (and everyone else) write to your legislatures.

And these numbers are just the State tax, not including the Feds...

Yup. People get all upset over oil company profits which is actually LESS than the profit that the state makes on each gallon - with NO investment or risk mind you.

It makes sense to keep these things in perspective.

Quote:

It sucks even worse in Toronto. I paid $1.15 a gallon this morning for 94 octane ($4.34 per gallon)

Either the exchange rate has really gone to heck in a handbasket or you meant $1.15 per liter...

I remember the $4 a gallon we had out here a year ago. You got to remember that part of the reason CA is high is because of the RFG and the state tax.

I don't buy the wages are higher in CA and that is why everything is more expensive so it washes out. Statewide only 25% of people can afford an ENTRY level house. Compared to 61% nationwide.

Source Article

Quote:

on the bright side gas is still cheaper then bottled water.

a pint of water is $.89 x 8 = $7.12, but nobody complains about that.

Because I don't NEED (or buy) bottled water.
nono.gif

I need gas.
driving.gif

Its amazing that CA will NOT build any more refineries. And they will not build any more power plants. They just build them in other states and pollute there. (we have a new powerplant built here and 100% of its power is going 700 miles to CA)

Because of CA, our water, power, home and gas prices go up.

All for a place who will not PLAN for anything.
smirk.gif

Too many not in my back yard people...
bop.gif

As someone who is out in the public in a goverment position, I'm getting SO TIRED of people from CA moving here and the first thing out of their mouth is;

"where I used to live they did it this way" or "stupid people around here, I am used to people who think"

Sadly, I can not tell them what I think..
smirk.gif

They screwed up their state, now they are coming over here to do the same. They are much smarter and superior that any one else.

I'm not bitter...
laugh.gif

Even have family in San Diego and they hate it now. But they are sure quick to call me when we are having a snow or below zero day and its 70 degrees there.

Guess I should make a call and let them know how much gas is here.. Still 70 cents a gallon cheaper than San Diego. (after going up FORTY cents here in less than a week)

But I will not. I'm not that type of person.

Bill
patriot.gif

I guess I am in the minority when I say gas prices need to be higher. About $5 a gallon sounds about right. Perhaps then the cali freeways wont be so congested with large SUVs and no load pickups.

Quote:

I guess I am in the minority when I say gas prices need to be higher. About $5 a gallon sounds about right. Perhaps then the cali freeways wont be so congested with large SUVs and no load pickups.

Sad to say, But I agree if SUPPLY is the issue.. Then getting the one person large truck or SUV off the road and into smaller cars would help us.

I sold my truck because at times I was driving it to work and back (100 miles) with only me in it.

And it got over 20 mpg. The way some of these idiots drive them, they would be lucky to get 10 mpg.
bop.gif

My last tank was 43.92 mpg...
fruit.gif

Glad I have my car.

Take care, bill
patriot.gif

Bill,

I'd be whining more about Tooele then power reactors :

Deseret Chemical Depot

That's just me. It's okay, all us Californians are cashing out and moving to Utah so the power plant can just be converted to start serving the new transplants from California. See... it all works out.

Quote:

Bill,

I'd be whining more about Tooele then power reactors :

Deseret Chemical Depot

That's just me. It's okay, all us Californians are cashing out and moving to Utah so the power plant can just be converted to start serving the new transplants from California. See... it all works out.

Why, The plant in Tooele is done doing the job it was built for and is closed.

All the worry warts saying that it was going to kill all of us I guess were wrong.
shocked.gif

It provided a service (got rid of chemical weapons which is a good thing) and provided a lot of jobs when it was operational.

I think it may be re opened at a latter date?

You would have never seen a plant like this in California.
nono.gif

They leave the dirty work for lessor states.
laugh.gif
thumbsup.gif

And your correct about "cashing out". 3 doors down from me I had a family move in from Long Beach. They paid cash for their home since they made so much for their home in CA (he said he paid like 280k for it 13 years ago and sold it for $600k?)

So, after the 3rd snow storm (with him going into the cable barrier on the freeway, driving too fast) and about 2 months of it freezing every night, he put the house up for sale and they have moved to Las Vegas.

Nice guy. I was sorry to see him go. But he just could not handle the weather.

I think he will lose a few $$ selling so soon here. (house is still for sale)
frown.gif

Sadly, the new power plant will never provide power to here. California needs every KW they can get.

Take care, bill
patriot.gif

Quote:

The high cost of fuel is mainly do to government mandates, restictions and taxes. The high cost of fuel will cost ALL of us more in our everyday purchases and tremendously drive up the cost of living. I'm a small business person and need a full size pick-up truck for my business. You can only "pass on" so much in extra costs. So I should be "punished" to make you feel "ecologically clean"
smirk.gif
? The public school education has been woefully inadequate in basic economics for at least the last 30 years it seems.

Whimsey

Quote:

Bill:

Do y'alls send all of that 'tricity to California for free or what...?

No, have you ever heard of providing your own power? In your own state?

I'm sure there is no line loss over 700 miles. I'm sure its much better to transmit power that far than lessor miles.

Sorry. I'm so happy that my power rates have gone up and the reason the power company says?

Because we can sell it to CA for more than you were paying, so we need to have you pay more.

Yeah, thanks!
smirk.gif

Why has there not been a power plant or refinery built in California for decades?

I'm not up on power plants in CA, but did your state just close a few in the last few years?

Don't know. I do know that we are providing power to CA using Coal and I watch the hundreds of Coal cars in a train go out to your power plant each and every week.

Take care, bill
patriot.gif

Quote:

And your correct about "cashing out". 3 doors down from me I had a family move in from Long Beach. They paid cash for their home since they made so much for their home in CA (he said he paid like 280k for it 13 years ago and sold it for $600k?)

my buddy just left the Camp Pendleton, CA, area to move to Utah...made a nice profit on his CA house sale...retiring in a few years after 20 in the Navy....

Quote:

My last tank was 43.92 mpg...
fruit.gif

Glad I have my car.

Take care, bill
patriot.gif

your corolla gets that high MPG?
maybe I should stop looking at the Civic.
my sister in CA traded in her mustange for a corolla...loves it.

Best price here is @2.29.9 at one station for regular unleaded. A couple of others are at $2.34.9 and others are a few ¢ higher.

When we went out for lunch today a guy in a large SUV was flashing the lights and blowing the horn even though I was in the right lane on a four lane road in town. A semi was in the left lane and even though I was signaling for a right turn he though I should speed up? When I turned, he gave it the gas for all it was worth then missed his left turn because of traffic.

So much for any consideration, saving any gas!

Quote:

Quote:

It sucks even worse in Toronto. I paid $1.15 a gallon this morning for 94 octane ($4.34 per gallon)

Either the exchange rate has really gone to heck in a handbasket or you meant $1.15 per liter...

Oops, I did mean $1.15 per liter! The sad thing is that it was only a few weeks ago that I was getting 94 octane for under 90 cents a liter.

So our price has gone up almost $1 per gallon in just a few short weeks!
frown.gif

Quote:

No you just belong in San Francisco with all the other pinkos......
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back