Gas Prices Are Going Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thankfully the price of fuel has never even crossed my mind. One of the few things I run my credit card on and always managed to pay end of month. Being bent out of shape with price of fuel is akin to being bent out of shape with the weather. You have no control.....
Exactly.

If it costs me $50... $60... or more to put 15 gallons in a tank, so be it. I still have to get to/from work regardless, so it's not even worth caring about unless I want to be out of a job.

But just as people complained when gas was $1.20/gal and no longer under $0.99/gal, it will never stop. People just like to complain about gas prices, it will never change, haha.

I admit I do the Shell rewards. Usually .05 off a gallon up to 20 gallons. They also send out emails like I got this morning for .07 cents on my next gas purchase if I do it by the end of the month which I will need gas before then. Pretty easy to swipe the fuel rewards card as you are paying.

Costco Visa is 4% back at gas stations.
Better yet, my Penfed card is 5%. Shell is overpriced here, so I get 5% off of the cheapest station anywhere, making it always the best deal.

Then there are people like my brother who must have a giant truck that gets horrible mileage and also who drives many more miles than we do. Pays the price to look/feel "cool". 🤷‍♂️

It might be helpful to remember all of the government subsidies we enjoy with our fuel prices. Yes I know we've already paid for those subsidies with taxes, but truth is, most of us are focused on the numbers at the pump. In which case, look at what they are paying per liter in other countries. I'm happy to pay $3.35 per gallon or more, it's not like I will stop buying gas because the price goes up. I just shop around for the best price and try to get the best MPG I can. I'm also happy to have a 4-cylinder Tacoma as my DD :D Please don't ask me about the Corvette.

Costco Visa is 4% back at gas stations.
Better yet, my Penfed card is 5%. Shell is overpriced here, so I get 5% off of the cheapest station anywhere, making it always the best deal.

Then there are people like my brother who must have a giant truck that gets horrible mileage and also who drives many more miles than we do. Pays the price to look/feel "cool". 🤷‍♂️
I forgot about the 2% back on my Amazon prime card at gas stations, that makes it even better.

It might be helpful to remember all of the government subsidies we enjoy with our fuel prices. Yes I know we've already paid for those subsidies with taxes, but truth is, most of us are focused on the numbers at the pump. In which case, look at what they are paying per liter in other countries. I'm happy to pay $3.35 per gallon or more, it's not like I will stop buying gas because the price goes up. I just shop around for the best price and try to get the best MPG I can. I'm also happy to have a 4-cylinder Tacoma as my DD :D Please don't ask me about the Corvette.

Yep... After spending two weeks in Germany two years ago and driving a lot on that trip, you realize just how good we have it here in the US in terms of fuel prices. Granted yes, you can do a lot more with their public transportation system being so good, but still... I think at the time fuel was around ~1.40 euro per liter... Which was basically some $6-7 per gallon equiv. We drove something like 1,400 miles in those 12 days or so (Frankfurt -> Cologne -> Netherlands -> Dusseldorf -> Munich -> Bamberg -> Frankfurt). Our vehicle got about 40 MPG, even pushing it quite hard on the autobahn where possible...!

Last edited:
Oil now 63.35 and rbob 199.12 . Will likely see $2.90+ before the weekend . Quick to rise , slow descent .

Not helpful to those hurting financially from the pandemic . During the impact of Katrina + Rita there were reports of people claiming their large vehicles being stolen . They would drive into waters or set fire to them to get out of payments . People forget quickly .

Last edited:
I paid $2.38 a gallon (reg. unleaded) at my local Phillips 66 station this morning. All of the EXXON/MOBIL stations are now Phillips 66 stations here in CenLa.

$2.49 here for 87 octane if your paying full price. Filled up a week ago when the full price was $2.39. After my grocery store discounts I paid $1.93

Our prices were as high as $2.79, but yesterday I noticed they were back down to $2.54...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back