fuel prices

Status
Not open for further replies.

JR

Michigan born but my heart belongs in dixie
I live in on east side of central michigan. Fuel prices in the last decade has just outrageous. Road fuel ranges from $3.799 upto 4.099 a gallon.
Fuel in town is 3.899 for ulsd, while unleaded is 3.499. A 40 cent spread the wrong way.
diesel is a derivative of crude, gas is a derivative of diesel. so how is diesel which is refind less, costs more. it doesn't, how can they just scam us all like that.

ken

they will never really know how much wvo derived bio i burn.

The same distillates that make diesel are used for #2 home heating oil Simple price pressures for that product could be the cause.

Gasoline is a different distillate derived from crude oil, it isn't made from diesel IIRC. The volatility of each should be the indicator of that.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Danno
Prices went up to $6 per gallon in Montreal this weekend.

Why?

Because they can...
do u do a lot of walking

I saw gas at 3.14 Friday morning and figured I'd better fill up.
To the OP, the best explanation for the cost of middle distilates like diesel, Jet A and heating oil is that demand for them is less price elastic than it is for gasoline.
Trucks gotta roll, airliners gotta fly and those who use oil to heat their homes, like me, gotta have heat and none of these activities involve pleasure or leisure uses.
Consumption will not change appreciably over a range of prices.
OTOH, gasoline consumption is more price elastic because people curtail driving that isn't vital when prices are high.
When gas is cheaper, everybody fills their tanks and drives those extra miles, whether on weekend trips or just shopping and visiting.

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
do u do a lot of walking

Canada's pre-tax gas prices actually aren't much different from the American pre-tax prices. It's the taxes heaped onto the stuff here. If you think that's bad, come up and buy a pack of smokes or a tin of Skoal and a 26 of JD and tell me what you think.
wink.gif

Prices have stayed pretty steady for the past few months here in upstate NY. It does pay to shop around, though!

Originally Posted By: JR
I live in on east side of central michigan. Fuel prices in the last decade has just outrageous. Road fuel ranges from $3.799 upto 4.099 a gallon.
Fuel in town is 3.899 for ulsd, while unleaded is 3.499. A 40 cent spread the wrong way.
diesel is a derivative of crude, gas is a derivative of diesel. so how is diesel which is refind less, costs more. it doesn't, how can they just scam us all like that.

ken

More BTUs in diesel than gasoline thus more energy = more money.

YMMV

Originally Posted By: JR

ken

I would recommend that you brush up on chemical engineering unit operations and refinery processes before making such claims.

Diesel is currently more processed than gasoline, due to the extensive hydroprocessing performed to remove sulfur. High pressure hydrogen is not cheap, and the process is not selective to sulfur.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back