Gas Price Increase More Than 50 Cents in 2 Months

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: whip
Am I the only one that sees the irony of people complaining about fuel prices also posting in another thread about using WOT at least once or twice a day? We are a spoiled society.

I'd say we're a captive society...our society revolves around commerce, and the only massively produced energy source we have to power that commerce is fossil fuels...so the oil companies have us over a barrel (pun intended)...we need their oil and they know it, so they can get away with charging us ridiculous prices for gas/diesel...

How much fuel does WOT burn? You might WOT for what, 5 seconds, then drive sanely the rest of the time. Might take 0.1mpg off the entire tank.

Heck, you could probably even it out if you decide to coast for a few stops, instead of braking, so as to make up for that.

Originally Posted By: supton
How much fuel does WOT burn? You might WOT for what, 5 seconds, then drive sanely the rest of the time. Might take 0.1mpg off the entire tank.

Heck, you could probably even it out if you decide to coast for a few stops, instead of braking, so as to make up for that.

WOT for 5 seconds will reduce your consumption by a lot more than .1mpg. Waste is waste. If a guy drives a V8 and drives at WOT just for fun, the complaining about the cost of fuel is a bit disingenuous.

Originally Posted By: grampi
Am I the only one that sees the irony of people complaining about fuel prices also posting in another thread about using WOT at least once or twice a day? We are a spoiled society.

I'd say we're a captive society...our society revolves around commerce, and the only massively produced energy source we have to power that commerce is fossil fuels...so the oil companies have us over a barrel (pun intended)...we need their oil and they know it, so they can get away with charging us ridiculous prices for gas/diesel...

IIRC, you drive a Corolla? It's an efficient car, and your doing your part to lower your cost. Seeing people with V8 powered luxury cars and sports complain about the operating cost seems a bit hollow.

The oil companies set the price for oil? So they could lower it if they wanted to?

Of course, why would the oil companies want any competition? They'd much rather have a monopoly on what we use to power our vehicles so they can continue to charge us $4+ a gal for their fuel and keep their CEOs and top execs living the luxurious lifestyles they live...

To my complete amazement I filled up my diesel truck today and it was .20 a gallon cheaper than the 87 octane unleaded! I cant remember the last time I saw diesel fuel cheaper than regular.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
The oil companies set the price for oil? So they could lower it if they wanted to?

Of course, why would the oil companies want any competition? They'd much rather have a monopoly on what we use to power our vehicles so they can continue to charge us $4+ a gal for their fuel and keep their CEOs and top execs living the luxurious lifestyles they live...

Oil companies control prices by controlling supplies...

Ohh, OK. So even if federally protected lands were opened for exploration and drilling they wouldn't sign leases? I guess all the activity on private lands is just an aberration then.

Ohh, OK. So even if federally protected lands were opened for exploration and drilling they wouldn't sign leases? I guess all the activity on private lands is just an aberration then.

U.S. oil companies keep supplies tight by exporting as much refined product as possible...they would certainly go for more land/exploration as long as they can keep selling their products at inflated prices...the second the additional supply causes a drop in prices, they roll back production...

Originally Posted By: supton

WOT for 5 seconds will reduce your consumption by a lot more than .1mpg. Waste is waste. If a guy drives a V8 and drives at WOT just for fun, the complaining about the cost of fuel is a bit disingenuous.

Really? I've WOT my truck, and I'd notice a 0.1 drop. Didn't see it, not relative to tanks where I didn't WOT. [Actually I'd swear mpg improved on a subsequent tank after I did it for the first time!]

Then again I don't WOT every tank, certainly not every time I takeoff. Maybe every-other tank, something like that. I probably would more often, if it was a stickshift (great sound at 5k, but as you've noticed, it sure does up the fuel usage rate, and I'm sure this motor has more umph at 1200rpm than the trans is programmed to allow).

I started the WOT thread. I also posted on this thread saying oil prices are going to sky rocket. I was not complaining. I could careless about fuel prices. Most of my investments are in oil companies or natural resources companies.

I already pay 6 dollars a gallon for premium gas. I don't whine about it so get your facts right before you make assumptions.

Can you guys imagine how much money we'd all have if energy was free? Not only would it be cheap to power our cars, but it would also be cheap to transport food; therefore making the cost of food a fraction of what it costs now.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
There's one thing for certain in favor of E100: The price would NOT be affected by world politics.
There's one thing for certain about E100: The price would be affected by weather.

Originally Posted By: yonyon
There's one thing for certain in favor of E100: The price would NOT be affected by world politics.

There's one thing for certain about E100: The price would be affected by weather.

Man, I would much rather it be affected by the weather than some stupid country on the other side of the world; that's for sure.

What's the difference? Literally everything effects prices now...let there be one refinery fire somewhere, and gas prices jump nationwide, even though that refinery only supplies one small area of the country, and has absolutely no bearing on supplies in other areas...unrest anywhere in the middle east causes prices to jump, even though these situations rarely, if ever cause supply disruptions...and just the mention of the beginning of the hurricane season will cause a jump in prices...as you can see, any and all excuses can and will be used by the industry to keep prices as high as possible...

What's the difference? Literally everything effects prices now...let there be one refinery fire somewhere, and gas prices jump nationwide, even though that refinery only supplies one small area of the country, and has absolutely no bearing on supplies in other areas...unrest anywhere in the middle east causes prices to jump, even though these situations rarely, if ever cause supply disruptions...and just the mention of the beginning of the hurricane season will cause a jump in prices...as you can see, any and all excuses can and will be used by the industry to keep prices as high as possible...

Theft by deception, even if it is indirectly occuring.

This post is spot on, they are manipulating prices by
using plausible excuses.

How many corn corps can you plant when till you destroy all the nutrients in the soil? Shortsighted guys. Electric is the way to go. Fossil fuel cars will probably be the second choice by 2020.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell

Theft by deception, even if it is indirectly occuring.

This post is spot on, they are manipulating prices by
using plausible excuses.

There's nothing plausible about prices going up nationwide for a fire at one refinery or a leaking tanker...how stupid do they think Joe Consumer is? I think the oil industry should be forced to pay consumers back by lowering prices after they've jacked up prices because they SUSPECTED there COULD be supply disruptions or shortages and there actually isn't. These empty fears injected into the market only serve to bolster industry profits and gouge consumers...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back