Gas mileage with Hybrids

Plug in hybrid owners who putter around locally and get free charging when needed show mpg like 100, 150, 200, 250, or more and pay nothing for electricity. There are quite a few of these thrift masters around.
The Pacifica plug in can do these numbers and you got a big huge van called a minivan that runs around practically free except for trips.

I was legitimately interested in the new hybrid sienna over everything else but it's at the very least a foot too short to make do space wise for my family. Its got the seats to fit the all the kids but not the luggage when traveling 1000+ miles. A small day trip with minimal baggage for a night or two at a hotel is doable but not a 5+ day trip.

If it were 2ft longer then I'd be all over it no doubt. I really like Toyota and trust them to make a hybrid vehicle better quality and more reliable than ford or gm a regular non hybrid vehicle. 36 mpg is nice. A long wheel base sienna would probably get 34mpg, still good.
The seating is weird in the Sienna IMO

Driving a Toyota hybrid does take a little adjustment to get to the EPA rated numbers.

Driving with the cruise control on at a steady state speed won't get you to the EPA highway numbers, it's usually lower.

The EPA highway cycle gives you time to regenerate, and in certain cases, be in EV mode (gas is off), to milk the fuel economy.

hwfetdds.gif

This may be a dumb question - Isn't most of the mileage gain with a hybrid compared to the gasoline version mainly in the city only?

The seating is weird in the Sienna IMO
It does look weird but so was the seating in the back of my 05 xl denali but the kids got used to it. But kids always take pillows and blankets. The seating is better in the 21 Esv but i doubt the seating in the 3rd row in the sienna is as bad as the xl Denali. As for the front seating anything is better than the 2019 escalade i had for a short time. Man that thing was a pos to sit in. Horrible seats front to back.

Please name a manufacturer besides Tesla that makes a profit on EVs. It is estimated that GM loses $9K on every Bolt they sell.
And who is pushing electric cars down our throats?

I found one!!!!

Driving a Toyota hybrid does take a little adjustment to get to the EPA rated numbers.

Driving with the cruise control on at a steady state speed won't get you to the EPA highway numbers, it's usually lower.

The EPA highway cycle gives you time to regenerate, and in certain cases, be in EV mode (gas is off), to milk the fuel economy.

hwfetdds.gif

Very true. To get the EPA numbers with the Ioniq requires a conscious effort as well. Driving a hybrid requires some adjustment in every regard.

Last edited:
I consistently equaled or bettered my hybrids mpg over epa ratings, three of them, four if my daughters new to her 2009 Camry hybrid she got last Dec. is included.
I found one!!!!

They fail to explain the law is a goal, a target.

This may be a dumb question - Isn't most of the mileage gain with a hybrid compared to the gasoline version mainly in the city only?
Not necessarily. The engine can be an operational mode that consumes less fuel. Variable valve timing can place an engine in Atkinson mode, without the non responsive and boggy nature evident when it's done on a direct drive setup. Not to mention the hybrid drive can keep the engine at the best BSFC load and RPM for the conditions. Most transmissions can't easily do that.

Well it is Newsmax...

Maybe this source suits your taste?

I've been driving a Ford hybrid for 3 years now (2013 Ford C-max). I've never ever gotten the EPA mileage, nor have I with any car.... me have heavy foot, and am chronically late/ in a hurry.

I don't Drive it any differently than I have any other car. ( Never been interested in hypermiling)
I do however, get double the fuel economy in my real world use that I got in my previous car.

And with the Cruse set at 55, nice straight road, it reliably gets ~40mpg with just the gas engine.

Yes, however it still nets a gain on the highway. But there, the amount of work to punch through the air cannot be escaped. Need a continuous amount of power. There is some gain from pulsing the engine to charge the battery in a high load region, but only so much can be done, reaching the limit of energy conversions it seems.

Very true. To get the EPA numbers with the Ioniq requires a conscious effort as well. Driving a hybrid requires some adjustment in every regard.
Does it really? I mean, in order to hit epa in most cars, don’t you have to pay attention?

Let's not forget: at 20mpg, 10% either way is 2mpg. At 50mpg it is 5mpg. Sounds like more, but its the same percentage.

If one is focusing instead on on cost per mile, then the winner is clearly the hybrid: drive it hard, miss epa by 10% or more, and its still cheaper than pure ICE.

Yes, however it still nets a gain on the highway. But there, the amount of work to punch through the air cannot be escaped. Need a continuous amount of power. There is some gain from pulsing the engine to charge the battery in a high load region, but only so much can be done, reaching the limit of energy conversions it seems.

Does it really? I mean, in order to hit epa in most cars, don’t you have to pay attention?

Let's not forget: at 20mpg, 10% either way is 2mpg. At 50mpg it is 5mpg. Sounds like more, but its the same percentage.

If one is focusing instead on on cost per mile, then the winner is clearly the hybrid: drive it hard, miss epa by 10% or more, and its still cheaper than pure ICE.

Good points.

Maybe this source suits your taste?

From this better tasting article.

“A target is established for the state that all publicly owned and privately owned passenger and light duty vehicles of model year 2030 or later that are sold, purchased, or registered in Washington state be electric vehicles.”

The bill also calls for an “interagency electric vehicle coordinating council” that was created by the new law and directed to “complete a scoping plan for achieving the 2030 target.” The said scoping plan should be completed on or before December 31, 2023.

I've been driving a Ford hybrid for 3 years now (2013 Ford C-max). I've never ever gotten the EPA mileage, nor have I with any car.... me have heavy foot, and am chronically late/ in a hurry.

I don't Drive it any differently than I have any other car. ( Never been interested in hypermiling)
I do however, get double the fuel economy in my real world use that I got in my previous car.

And with the Cruse set at 55, nice straight road, it reliably gets ~40mpg with just the gas engine.
I think you explained it. Habits need to be adjusted or the mpg may not happen. I don’t see a lot of people changing habits on the road, maybe a little. But they sure complain about high gas. I find just thinking about being in a hurry reduces mpg, getting the best is very sensitive to inputs. Getting older I have settled down a lot on the hurrying. In town it makes no sense to hurry to the next traffic light or congestion. Or on the freeway all it takes is a 50 mph slow down and all the hurrying is out the window. All the slow pokes going near the speed limit in a relaxed state come right up behind.

Please name a manufacturer besides Tesla that makes a profit on EVs. It is estimated that GM loses $9K on every Bolt they sell.
And who is pushing electric cars down our throats?
China and Europe.
IMO the biggest gain of mileage is engine downsizing (i.e. the 1.8L Atkinson cycle Prius engine is 30% smaller in practical output than other 1.8L carnot cycle gas engine, making it really a 1.4L output but more efficient engine), CVT (most hybrid are somewhat of a CVT that's more reliable, and keep the engine at peak efficiency band), and regen braking if you are in city. The amount of engine downsizing you can do is the key because you only need 30hp to cruise the highway and yet you can only buy at least 120hp today and run it all over between 30hp to 120hp vs keeping it between 30-60 and let the electric motor deal with the inefficient 60-120hp range by adding another 0-60hp to your car.

Most of the other improvement are incremental because you already have a lot of electric system onboard (inverter based AC) or other gas cars are adopting them already as well (electric power steering, electric water pump).

Last edited:
Back