Gas mileage with Hybrids

For those not ready to jump on the full electric bandwagon there are some pretty amazing gas mileage numbers with hybrids. I read that mini-vans are on a roll again. The Toyota Siena now only comes as a hybrid. It’s EPA numbers are 36/36/36 mpg. The gasoline engine in the Honda Oddesey gets 22/19/28 mpg for combined/city/highway. Here are a few screen shots. Enjoy.

8E16421D-7C45-43D7-B007-69399BE0D4ED.jpg
242CA8DE-D517-43D3-8C67-2E0C8544418C.jpg

Japanese manufacturers for a long time have been advocating that Hybrids are the ultimate answer, not full EV. But forces above their control keep pushing EVs down everyone's throat, so manufacturers have no choice, but to comply. Plus manufacturers end up having more profits through EV, so that keeps them happy & quiet.

For those not ready to jump on the full electric bandwagon there are some pretty amazing gas mileage numbers with hybrids. I read that mini-vans are on a roll again. The Toyota Siena now only comes as a hybrid. It’s EPA numbers are 36/36/36 mpg. The gasoline engine in the Honda Oddesey gets 22/19/28 mpg for combined/city/highway. Here are a few screen shots. Enjoy.

View attachment 98430View attachment 98431
The only thing that could make me love our Odyssey more is if it was a hybrid. Especially if I could have it with the V6 and 10 speed.

Just put the hybrid system in the mid and rear floor.

Japanese manufacturers for a long time have been advocating that Hybrids are the ultimate answer, not full EV. But forces above their control keep pushing EVs down everyone's throat, so manufacturers have no choice, but to comply. Plus manufacturers end up having more profits through EV, so that keeps them happy & quiet.
Please name a manufacturer besides Tesla that makes a profit on EVs. It is estimated that GM loses $9K on every Bolt they sell.
And who is pushing electric cars down our throats?

I couldn't agree more with this thread thus far. My Ioniq has been flawless. Even registering 47 mpg while idling with the AC on and giving it some spirited driving. Overall, i've averaged 49.8 mpg during ownership - ~547 miles on 11 gallons (it holds 11.9).

Please name a manufacturer besides Tesla that makes a profit on EVs. It is estimated that GM loses $9K on every Bolt they sell.
And who is pushing electric cars down our throats?
Jeff-you live in CA, we both know CA (& likely WA, OR, even NY) are moving to ban ICE vehicles in the near future!

The only thing that could make me love our Odyssey more is if it was a hybrid. Especially if I could have it with the V6 and 10 speed.

Just put the hybrid system in the mid and rear floor.
Agree.

TBH our 2014 odyssey struggles to make EPA highway mileage. A recent road trip saw our best ever, 29.7 MPG, but around town in normal use we see below EPA city typically, and my wife and I are not hard drivers with fast acceleration and excessive braking.

A hybrid minivan would be ideal, and 36 MPG from the sienna is pretty phenomenal But there's not enough money in trading in a 75k mile Odyssey that is perfect.

My Accord hybrid has been great, and driving carefully in commuting scenarios I can see in excess of 60 MPG despite EPA rating of 47. The things that get it are the use of heat (Im not a big heat user even in the winter), and highway operations. Highway seems to get to a minumum efficiency point around 75 MPH, and Ill see 41 MPG there. Interestingly if on a faster road like down south or out west, I have seen the MPGs creep back up to mid 40s.

Saying Tesla makes a profit is suspect, he and his brother and mother have interwoven relationships, business wise. very interesting fact I use a frame type walker to get around following my stroke, it will NOT fit in the trunk of a TESLA sedan. Recently i was helping my girl friend find a new to her vehicle, my walker fits in a a Chevrolet Malibu, not hybrid thousands cheaper but it fit in the trunk BTW I believe that KIA makes a Turbo Hybrid !!

From an actual energy use point of view, the best hybrids consume less energy per mile than any other type of vehicle. This is due to engines that achieve efficiencies over 40% and regenerative braking.

Even the best Natural Gas combined cycle power plant, powering an EV achieves 29% propulsive efficiency. Hybrids achieve about 35% propulsive efficiency.

I really like hybrids. Furthermore, they don't have to be Prius level slow. The 1.5L, 3 cylinder BMW i8 goes 0-60 in 4 seconds.

Agree.

TBH our 2014 odyssey struggles to make EPA highway mileage. A recent road trip saw our best ever, 29.7 MPG, but around town in normal use we see below EPA city typically, and my wife and I are not hard drivers with fast acceleration and excessive braking.

A hybrid minivan would be ideal, and 36 MPG from the sienna is pretty phenomenal But there's not enough money in trading in a 75k mile Odyssey that is perfect.

My Accord hybrid has been great, and driving carefully in commuting scenarios I can see in excess of 60 MPG despite EPA rating of 47. The things that get it are the use of heat (Im not a big heat user even in the winter), and highway operations. Highway seems to get to a minumum efficiency point around 75 MPH, and Ill see 41 MPG there. Interestingly if on a faster road like down south or out west, I have seen the MPGs creep back up to mid 40s.
Yup
I try to use the heated seats instead of the hvac system.

Jeff-you live in CA, we both know CA (& likely WA, OR, even NY) are moving to ban ICE vehicles in the near future!
I fully expect ICE vehicles in general to be taxed off the road by the Federal government. Additional gas taxes would probably be the way it's done. When gas is WELL over $5.00 a gallon PERMANENTLY many will look at Hybrids or EVs. Witness California with more EVs/Hybrids registered than any where else in the country.

I was legitimately interested in the new hybrid sienna over everything else but it's at the very least a foot too short to make do space wise for my family. Its got the seats to fit the all the kids but not the luggage when traveling 1000+ miles. A small day trip with minimal baggage for a night or two at a hotel is doable but not a 5+ day trip.

If it were 2ft longer then I'd be all over it no doubt. I really like Toyota and trust them to make a hybrid vehicle better quality and more reliable than ford or gm a regular non hybrid vehicle. 36 mpg is nice. A long wheel base sienna would probably get 34mpg, still good.

I fully expect ICE vehicles in general to be taxed off the road by the Federal government. Additional gas taxes would probably be the way it's done. When gas is WELL over $5.00 a gallon PERMANENTLY many will look at Hybrids or EVs. Witness California with more EVs/Hybrids registered than any where else in the country.
Yet then our electric will also be taxed similarly to pay for the roads....

Back