gas coming out of filler neck

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey guys this one really stumped me. so i come home today and see gas on the ground. i go to inspect whats going on and i open the gas cap and fuel starts coming out. its all over the ground and running down the side of the truck. the fuel gauge shows 3/4 tank i looked in the gas flap and gas is right at the top i got gas monday and havent driven it since. i called the dealer and nobody seems to have a clue what the problem could be with them all saying they have never heard of that before. im stumped. any ideas??

The fuel was cool in the underground tanks and expanded in the heat of the day in the tank. Check for a bad evap can, fuel vent valve or gas cap. I would go after the vent valve first if you have no evap codes.

Are you getting any CEL's showing EVAP codes?

Whoops, I see TRAV answered at the same time.

Last edited:
Over filled by not shutting of fuel at the first or second click. Then warms up and tries to expand in a closed or semi closed system. Ed

no there are no codes. i was hesitant to drive it around for fear mabye somebody tried to siphon the tank or do something to it

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Over filled by not shutting of fuel at the first or second click. Then warms up and tries to expand in a closed or semi closed system. Ed

That's what i'm thinking, see it all the time, people clicking away at this gas pump 5-6 times.

what vehicle?

I have multi clicked my gas pump many times with no ill affects. I live in texas so I know HOT.

Your message is a bit unclear. Did you fill the tank then drive the truck home and fine gas running out of the tank? Or was the truck in the garage and when you came home it was leaking gas beyond the cap.

Do you have a person with a gas can around your house that did you a solid and poured their can gas into the tank but over filled it to the top?

Or a mad girlfriend/enemy that put something else in your tank (garden hose, sugar, alka selzer, etc?)

You said your fuel gauge reads 3/4, has it been flaky or reliably reading full after a fill up?

lots of the stated facts dont line up.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Have your gas tank vent system checked.

+1

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: danez_yoda
what vehicle?

I have multi clicked my gas pump many times with no ill affects. I live in texas so I know HOT.

Your message is a bit unclear. Did you fill the tank then drive the truck home and fine gas running out of the tank? Or was the truck in the garage and when you came home it was leaking gas beyond the cap.

Do you have a person with a gas can around your house that did you a solid and poured their can gas into the tank but over filled it to the top?

Or a mad girlfriend/enemy that put something else in your tank (garden hose, sugar, alka selzer, etc?)

You said your fuel gauge reads 3/4, has it been flaky or reliably reading full after a fill up?

lots of the stated facts dont line up.

It adds up fine and totally plausible. 3/4 fill a plastic gas can with no vent and watch it blow up like a balloon, if the vent system has a problem this is exactly what happen when the tank is under pressure from no venting.
The fuel cap is made to hold a vacuum and pressure, when the vent system has a problem it will over pressure the cap and it will let fuel out if the level is high enough.

It may have been a one time occurrence but if there is pressure when the fuel cap is removed on subsequent fillings there is a problem, there should be neutral or a minimal negative pressure in normal operation.

May be of interest to others.

http://www.stant.com/index.php/english/products/consumer-products/caps/evolution-fuel-cap/

Last edited:
i just got a call from the dealer and even they are stumped. he said the vent system is fine and the tank and filler neck look ok. besides a aftermarket gas cap which may or may not be the problem he cant find anything. the vehicle is an 2002 tahoe 5.3

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: macdole99
i just got a call from the dealer and even they are stumped. he said the vent system is fine and the tank and filler neck look ok. besides a aftermarket gas cap which may or may not be the problem he cant find anything. the vehicle is an 2002 tahoe 5.3

Start by ditching that thing and get an OE for it. Just because they fit doesn't mean they are correct. It may have too low a pressure relief. I am surprised at this dealer (not really, if it doesn't hit them in the face its gets ignored) not recommending that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back