Gas Can Conversion w/pic

I was going to suggest one of the Justrite metal cans from Rural King until I saw the price. I paid less than $30 each for a couple just a few years ago but now they’re $54. Ouch!

I hate the stupid plastic funnels you have to use but I sure love the cans.

Never store kerosene in a red can. It's easy to get confused and end up with gasoline in the heater.

My mom did this while pregnant with my sister in 1997. She refilled our kerosene heater that we kept lit 24/7 during the winter months in the living room. We always had kerosene on hand stored in blue and red cans. For whatever reason at 10 years old I had used some gas outside for something and stored that can with the cans filled with kerosene. My mom grabbed that particular can that day.

The heater literally exploded. Neither my dad nor I were home at the time. Luckily my mom wasn’t hurt. It scorched the wall really bad where the heater backed up to, and completely burnt the carpet several feet in front of the heater.

Good to see I wasn't the only one
PXL_20220618_000825463.jpg

I just ripped the circled part of mine off and drilled a vent hole in the back. They come apart pretty easily…. Just don’t fill it too full or you’ll spill gas out the vent on your trip back home lol.
A7D3A69F-4697-4E21-9EAB-9D46F0DAF2CE.jpeg

Great thread. I've cursed those scepter cans for years. My usual rant is for the company to go under and all the engineers and company men die in gruesome accidents. They are just the most horrific Jerry's to use. I can take out a second job in the time it takes to empty a 20L. Now I'm too worked up to add anything to my post.

I just ripped the circled part of mine off and drilled a vent hole in the back. They come apart pretty easily…. Just don’t fill it too full or you’ll spill gas out the vent on your trip back home lol. View attachment 106829

Oh man... These are the absolute worst aren't they?

I have a little one gallon version of this can for my 2-stroke pre-mix. Trying to fill a string trimmer or leaf blower with one of these is fun. You have the potential to spill more on the ground than what goes into the tank.

Luckily I've still got 3 old school plastic 5gal cans.

Eagle Type I cans are my favorite type of can, though you need the flexible spout version if you want to fill a car with one.

15867814.jpg
bought one of those for my dad several years back... he didn't like it, and said it spilled more than anything else he tried. (even had the funnel as pictured)
he turned around and sold it at a garage sale for $5.... $5! only used once or twice.

FWIW I did both my 5 gallon cans Wednesday night before camping this weekend at the races. It was very easy and the kits were easily had at my Menards for ~$8 each! They pour like a champ now and empty very quickly. My first attempt I was like 😳 wasn’t ready for that 🤣.

I put my vent further up on the handle than the OP. I hope it doesn’t create issues. So far so good but all I’ve done so far is transferring from 5 gallon can to the 2 gallon can to fill the generator.

Just my $0.02

Attachments

• 00C44E75-D517-45AB-B1BD-CE2B08DB7878.jpeg
    00C44E75-D517-45AB-B1BD-CE2B08DB7878.jpeg
    102.2 KB · Views: 6
  • F90ABD84-ABDB-4F42-B893-CE7C0690D45E.jpeg
    F90ABD84-ABDB-4F42-B893-CE7C0690D45E.jpeg
    95.6 KB · Views: 6
I was at the recycling center about 3 weeks ago and a lady in front of me had 3 very new looking 5 quart red plastic gas containers with the new spout on them and all the decals were on the sides. I asked the nice recycling man if I could have them? He said just a minute wait until I dump the old gas out of them. I gave him a 5 quart jug of used oil and he gave me the empty jugs. I was very happy he gave them to me. They are each about $10 or more brand new.

Back