Gas Can Conversion w/pic

Needed to buy a gas can or two back during the winter for a kerosene heater for emergency use. I thought that by now the mess with the cans would be sorted out. To my mild surprise, not so much. I purchased Sceptor gas cans and quickly found out, a pain to use and kinda useless as is. Without a funnel of some sort can't be used to fill a car or the heater. Watched some youtubes and purchased a conversion kit off Amazon, even came with 1/2" drill bit for vent. I gutted the Sceptor removing the "flame mitigation device" (ha), the Rube Goldberg spout assembly and the plastic collar that locks it. The only thing left, the can itself. Kit came with two different size screw down collars, two types of vents. One a screw down type that would work on my old Gott. I installed clip vent on wider flat part of can rather than top part of handle as I saw some do on yt. The only thing I can see the new design has done is make a market for the replacement kits. The only way to go. Will eventually do other can.

As an aside, I understand why Sceptor Inc. has turned off comments on yt, about these gas cans. Reading comments on the conversion videos, not pretty. ;)

P1020360.JPG

I bought and used a 3 pack of those kits in order to save some older cans that the spout was lost or broken on. I was quite pleased with them in comparison to buying the new “safety cans”

Or buy water can and spray paint it red? ;p
menards sells those spouts I converted one of mine but since they changed the fuel rewards I dont need half my cans anyway.

The worst thing is those frame propagation preventers in the new cans they constantly make the gas pump kick back like the tank is full or if you pull them further back the velocity of the air escaping will squirt fuel out of the tank.

Still don't understand why people waste their money on those pathetic gas cans, when these are widely available, often 50% cheaper, and a bazillion times easier to use. Virtually spill proof, at least in my experience.

View attachment 102511
Because you have to take them to a gas station to fill them and it's a violation of several state and probably federal laws to pump fuel into an unapproved container.

Because you have to take them to a gas station to fill them and it's a violation of several state and probably federal laws to pump fuel into an unapproved container.
I hope this is a sarcastic comment, or do you actually worry about that issue in Indiana? Jesus I live in NY and I see people, landscapers filling cans every day..

I hope this is a sarcastic comment, or do you actually worry about that issue in Indiana? Jesus I live in NY and I see people, landscapers filling cans every day..
I also store my gas can in the garage, use an unapproved container and something catches on fire and see how the insurance company feels about that.

I also store my gas can in the garage, use an unapproved container and something catches on fire and see how the insurance company feels about that.
Doesn't matter in NY with my company anyway. I have a detached garage with an old car in it I use from time to time. Same difference really.

Here you go. For more money you can have a RED fuel jug. May not be 100% approved, but won't raise as many questions at the pump. Still cheaper and more useful than those gimmicky jugs that leak and are PITA to use.
vpr-3512_xl.jpg

P.S. Just last week I used my scooter to carry an unapproved 6 gallon HDPE jug (as pictured below) to the gas station, to get fuel for my OPE. The cop at pump next to me didn't say a word. Scooter handled the extra weight like a champ.
79580psku.jpg

Last edited:
If the gas can started the blaze, do you think they're going to be reading codes
Needed to buy a gas can or two back during the winter for a kerosene heater for emergency use. I thought that by now the mess with the cans would be sorted out. To my mild surprise, not so much. I purchased Sceptor gas cans and quickly found out, a pain to use and kinda useless as is. Without a funnel of some sort can't be used to fill a car or the heater. Watched some youtubes and purchased a conversion kit off Amazon, even came with 1/2" drill bit for vent. I gutted the Sceptor removing the "flame mitigation device" (ha), the Rube Goldberg spout assembly and the plastic collar that locks it. The only thing left, the can itself. Kit came with two different size screw down collars, two types of vents. One a screw down type that would work on my old Gott. I installed clip vent on wider flat part of can rather than top part of handle as I saw some do on yt. The only thing I can see the new design has done is make a market for the replacement kits. The only way to go. Will eventually do other can.

As an aside, I understand why Sceptor Inc. has turned off comments on yt, about these gas cans. Reading comments on the conversion videos, not pretty. ;)

View attachment 102501

I purchased several of those kits at my local farm store a couple years back to retrofit my gas cans. They work perfect, no leaks.

Keep temperature changes to a minimum (like always storing in the garage when not in use), and I'd be willing to bet the HC / evaporation emissions are next to nothing. Common sense prevails here, don't store near any ignition sources.

Fwiw, I saw the VP jugs before or after my purchase, can't remember which. Initially only planned on buying one 2 gal. can, ended up with two. Didn't want or need a 5 gallon can/jug. The one I converted is going to be used now for 2 cycle application, barely go through a gallon in year, if that. The other 2cycle can I had was a small gallon and half, new design. It developed a vacuum that sucked in the sides and finally cracked the corners. ha.

As for flame mitigation, seemed like glorified long internal strainer.

Overall I may have paid a little bit more than some of the other cans shown, but after the conversions, they will work out. And have some spare parts for my old Gott 2.5 gal jug.

Last edited:
Years ago, seems I remember reading a discussion on the forum about the then newer "eco friendly" cans and the "no spill" brand being the best. Looking at them, like topic they have a short fixed in place nozzle, though I'm sure it works better than topic. Looking at pricing for similar size can(s), after purchasing conversation kit for two of topic, my cost works out about same or a little less.

One thing certain, in gas cans, "eco-friendly" = "not" user friendly.

The old vented ones are still available here in Canada.
Nice. Lucky you. Oh, and John Candy of Second City TV, one of my faves. And gone far too soon.

I drilled a hole and snaked a tire valve in the top of mine without the stem in it to act as a vent. Threw the spout away and use a traditional old spout. Pours like should. It amazes me the problem that was created in the spirit of safety. Sure just dump fuel all over everything!!!

I drilled a hole and snaked a tire valve in the top of mine without the stem in it to act as a vent. Threw the spout away and use a traditional old spout. Pours like should. It amazes me the problem that was created in the spirit of safety. Sure just dump fuel all over everything!!!
They are one step ahead of you. "Traditional old spout" thread size is different than that of the eco cans- don't fit.

Back