GARD Power Steering Fluid Plus for VW/AUDI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Guys,

I just pic up my 2002 VW Jetta from the mechanic and I notice he put almost one quart bottle of GARD Power Steering Fluid Plus.

I ask him is that GARD brand is compatible with the VW G002000 Power Steering Fluid and he say yes.

I was looking for info about this GARD brand http://www.crossoil.com/gard_functional_fluids.php and I found the datasheet of this GARD Power Steering Fluid Plus and it say is compatible with the Audi PN G002000

What you think of this brand? Any advise? Because I was thinking to flush all the Power steering and put the Original VW G002000........... or I dont have to worry about.

THX,

Isaac

Here is the Datasheet:
http://www.crossoil.com/lib/docs/pds/PDSPowerSteeringPremiumGard.pdf

PREMIUM POWER STEERING FLUID
Gard® Premium Power Steering Fluid is an all-season fluid blended with special
additives and inhibitors to give optimum performance in all power steering systems.

Meets the service fill requirements of all of the following:
GM 9985010 Saginaw Power Steering Fluid
GM 9985835 Wide Temperatur Performance (Multi Temperature)
Chrysler MS 1872
Chrysler MS 5931F
Ford M2C138-CJ
Ford M2C33-F
Ford M2C128-C and D
Navistar TSM 6810
Acura/Honda PN 08206-9002 PE
Audi PN G002000
Mercedes Benz PN 00 989 8803
Saab PN 30 09 800
Subaru PN K0Z09A0080

gard_power_steering_plus_qt.png

You should NEVER trust multi purpose fluids especially in VW/Audi and other European makes.

I would tell the mechanic to drain this out and install the correct VW/Audi specific fluid!

+1

"Compatible with" and "Meets all the requirements of" are two completely different things.

There is a reason there are so many different AT fluids and it's not because the manufacturers are trying to scalp us. The use of a wide variety of exotic materials mandates specific ATFs for specific transmissions.

Originally Posted By: 91344George
You should NEVER trust multi purpose fluids especially in VW/Audi and other European makes.

I would tell the mechanic to drain this out and install the correct VW/Audi specific fluid!

Can I wait a month to take the car to drain all the power steering fluid? I really don't have time right now so I was thinking to do this at the end of January. Any advise?

Isaac

Originally Posted By: 91344George

Never trust multi purpose fluids? I use Castrol's Multi-vehicle import transimission fluid and I find it to be far more superior than my OEM fluid..i.e...smoother shifting, no more 2nd to 3rd gear shift flare that is common in my mitsubishi.

Originally Posted By: Isaac
91344George said:
Can I wait a month to take the car to drain all the power steering fluid? I really don't have time right now so I was thinking to do this at the end of January. Any advise?

Isaac

If it was my car I would take it back there ASAP and have them drain (NOT flush) and install the correct fluid.

if there still was a significant amount of OEM fluid left in there you probably won't have an issue, but try to get that stuff out as quickly as possible.

For those of you saying there is no problem with aftermarket fluid that even meets OEM specs,a LOT of European car owners will tell you much different!

I agree the prices are high, but is it worth possibly ruining or shortening the life of a system to save a few bucks every 5-8 years? Not likely.

Last edited:

Ideally, no. If the fluid is truly compatible, of course, it won't matter. If it isn't, you're going to end up having issues with your seals. Stick with the OEM fluid or the approved Pentosin and Febi-Bilstein fluids.

Originally Posted By: BrownBox88
Never trust multi purpose fluids? I use Castrol's Multi-vehicle import transimission fluid and I find it to be far more superior than my OEM fluid.

That's not exactly the same thing. The Castrol ATF to which you refer has a pretty decent track record. An Audi/VW power steering pump is a totally different animal. The only bright spot is that seal kits can be had for next to nothing and one can reseal the pump, assuming one has the appropriate tools.

I'm afraid I agree with the other posts. I had a 1984 Audi that had had a lot of problems and towards the end I became a little less vigilant about using the expensive VW-Audi factory fluids because I was frustrated and as a result one time when the power steering fluid showed low simply did not make the effort to get the factory VW-Audi specified power steering fluid. Within a day of adding the non-factory fluid, the system was leaking horrifically. It's as though the non-factory fluid simply dissolved the seals. Obviously, that hasn't happened to you yet, but I was amazed the non-factory fluid could cause such a problem with the seals so fast, so I think you're taking a risk in not going back to the factory specified stuff ASAP. And, yes, I think they need to flush it to get all the non-factory fluid out of there. Good luck to you.

Fortunately, a seal kit is very cheap. Unfortunately, though, if the wrong fluid is in there, flushing it out is going to be very expensive at around $30/litre, and seal kits aren't usually locally available.

Before and after I replaced my aged seals, I only used the appropriate fluid. Once a couple old seals were replaced, all leaking stopped. Since the appropriate fluid was already in there, a complete flush wasn't required.

Hello Guys,

I just pic up my 2002 VW Jetta from the mechanic and I notice he put almost one quart bottle of GARD Power Steering Fluid Plus.

I ask him is that GARD brand is compatible with the VW G002000 Power Steering Fluid and he say yes.

I was looking for info about this GARD brand http://www.crossoil.com/gard_functional_fluids.php and I found the datasheet of this GARD Power Steering Fluid Plus and it say is compatible with the Audi PN G002000

What you think of this brand? Any advise? Because I was thinking to flush all the Power steering and put the Original VW G002000........... or I dont have to worry about.

THX,

Isaac

Here is the Datasheet:
http://www.crossoil.com/lib/docs/pds/PDSPowerSteeringPremiumGard.pdf

PREMIUM POWER STEERING FLUID
Gard® Premium Power Steering Fluid is an all-season fluid blended with special
additives and inhibitors to give optimum performance in all power steering systems.

Meets the service fill requirements of all of the following:
GM 9985010 Saginaw Power Steering Fluid
GM 9985835 Wide Temperatur Performance (Multi Temperature)
Chrysler MS 1872
Chrysler MS 5931F
Ford M2C138-CJ
Ford M2C33-F
Ford M2C128-C and D
Navistar TSM 6810
Acura/Honda PN 08206-9002 PE
Audi PN G002000
Mercedes Benz PN 00 989 8803
Saab PN 30 09 800
Subaru PN K0Z09A0080

gard_power_steering_plus_qt.png

The part number looks correct for your MKIV Jetta.

If you're not confident, then try Pentosin CHF 11S. It is a proven power steering fluid for VW & Audi. I've seen them at NAPA before also.

http://pentosin.net/pressreleases/CRP-116_Pentosin_CHF11S_V3.pdf

Originally Posted By: Jasper8146
I'm afraid I agree with the other posts. I had a 1984 Audi that had had a lot of problems and towards the end I became a little less vigilant about using the expensive VW-Audi factory fluids because I was frustrated and as a result one time when the power steering fluid showed low simply did not make the effort to get the factory VW-Audi specified power steering fluid. Within a day of adding the non-factory fluid, the system was leaking horrifically.

Worn seals that were gunked up, new fluid dissolved the gunk = leak. Happens all the time on hydraulic systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back