Garbage Disposal

The Garbage Disposal that came with our house has died. The current one is an InSinkErator.

We don't use ours very much, and when we do, it is for food crumbs....literally.

I am considering two options:

American Standard - $69.99: https://www.costco.com/american-standard-slim-line-1.25hp-food-waste-disposer.product.100692318.html

InSinkErator - $189.99 (equivalent to Evolution® Compact®): https://www.costco.com/insinkerator....75hp-garbage-disposal.product.100661451.html

Is there any reason to spend the extra for an InSinkErator?

I have had good luck with American Standard products in the past. I'f it's only for light use I would think you're ok with that one.

If you use it as little as you say and the American Standard installs easily enough, that's the one I'd get.

I replaced one years ago and don't remember there being one that inexpensive. I want to say we got ours at Sears (tells you it's been a few years) and it was $150 or so.

My 24 years old InSinkErator started to leak and I ordered another one from Home Depot.

It was a perfect match! Still same size and everything ... Took very little effort to replace. Just unscrewed the old one and put the new one in. The pipe locations were exact same spot also.

Current house and previous house had Insinkerators. Never an issue, never leaked. I'd be happy to use them again if I needed a new one or we moved to a new house.

The issue comes up that if you buy a bigger disposal the pipes don't always line up. Creates a big PITA. Keep that in mind. You can only go so big before this happens. For example-you can usually go to the next size up without issue.

I’ve got Evolution Pro 750s and they are nice and quiet. I’m not chipping tree limbs or anything but no complaints in 8 years.

I was going to cheap out and get a bottom of the line model a couple of years ago, but went the complete opposite way and got this Insinkerator stainless steel 1 hp unit for like $320 back then. Figured I should have at least one nice thing in the house, plus more power is always good. Thing is almost silent when on.

I know what I would go with.. and it's none.

I get it though. You're already set up for one and it sounds like you don't go crazy with it's use, so it may never take it's toll on your waste plumbing.

Garbage disposals are a plumber's best friend for a reason.

If all you're washing down the drain are crumbs then you don't actually need a disposal.
Get rid of it and do whatever is needed to plumb the drain in its place.

I recently replaced the Insinkerator for the second time in 20 years. What fails is the "basket" eventually rusts through. It would help if people wouldn't leave food in there - ahem!

Both InSinkErator and Moen use the same quick mount so that expands your choices and makes the install a lift and twist deal.

This replacement I upped the HP to 3/4. We're supposed to compost waste food now and the big complaint is it attracts vermin, ants, maggots, etc. Folks say to put the food in compostable bags but the state will only allow compostable paper that they approve of.

To make it easy in our household, the waste food goes into the disposal.

Just get another ISE, or their Badger line.
Makes it very simple if you stay with the brand.
Had mine swapped out in 15 minutes without grief.

I always get InSinkErator or Waste King. I have the switch wired to a switch box under the sink in the cabinet; that way I have to go through the trouble of opening the cabinet door to get to the switch. And the switch is a HARD switch; that way it takes some effort to trip it. You don't want to make it too easy to turn the disposer on when you have your hand down in there getting something out that shouldn't be in there.

Back