Garage Wiring Tips

Twelve years ago I built a new home with an attached garage. I was so busy I told my electrician to wire at least two outlets per wall and also wire a 220 outlet. I forgot to specify how I wanted the outlets wired.

What he did was he ran two circuits, with 14 AWG wire, with two outlets per wall, with one 15 amp breaker for two walls, and one 15 Amp breaker for the other two walls. He also wired an appropriate 220 V outlet.

Recently, I went around and checked which breaker each outlet was on and wrote the break number on the cover plate.

If I had a chance to do it over, I would have used 12 AWG wiring and put 20 amp breakers in just so a person would have a little extra amperage to run equipment that pushes the limit, (without going to 220 V stuff).

What other garage wiring issues have you encountered?

I built my house 16 years ago. I added a subpanel to the garage. I went 12 AWG and put a run of 12 outlets about 42" high on 2 20 amp breakers. I wanted multiple locations but wasn't overly concerned about eclipsing the 20 amp. I added 4 locations of 220 volt outlets (planer, jointer, table saw, etc...). Has worked out well.

When building your own it's easy to overlook something like that with all the different items to take care of.

Multiple light sources are good for minimizing shadows. In my dream garage, I'd have some wall-mounted light fixtures to supplement the overhead ones.

I did run 240 V to the garage for a 4.8 kW heater, and have upgraded the two overhead fixtures from single-bulb to big LED ones. Better, but not perfect.

Just wired a house and garage each about 2,000 sqft..
In the garage I installed a lot of plugs.
Each receptacle had 2 circuits so you could plug in 2 high current devices in the same receptacle.
Not sure if you have to do this in a garage but if I remember you can only have 110V inside a house.
And yes I know a AC receptacle can be 220V

And remember most tools and anything that plugs in comes with a 6' cord.
What I do is add 1 extra receptacle per wall or 1 extra receptacle in a room and you will never have anyone ask you to install another receptacle after you are done.

With everyone wanting the "Open Concept" Floor plugs need to be accounted for.

Hope this helps.

I agree on the 20 amp circuits. I would like some more outlets on the walls near the garage door. Right now I need extension cords to have lights near the garage door.

Also a have a three way switch for lights, but I'd want a four way switch because of where the second switch is located.

I think I'd also want two 220v outlets. I have one for my air compressor but two would be even better.

If I ever rip out the drywall and spray foam I'll take care of all of these shortcomings.

I like stretching an extension cord from the house to the garage. I will then split that circuit numerous times to have at least 15 outlets and shop lights in the garage. I replace the existing fuse with a 300 amp Lincoln copper fuse disc. If the 18/3 extension cord running across my lawn gets hot I use a soaker hose sprinkler to cool it off. Never an issue in 60 years........I will run two extension cords one from each fuse panel buss for my 220 volt needs. Arc/wire feed welder. 7.5HP air compressor. Lathe and milling machine. Press. I do have a bucket of dirt nearby in case of fire.

I like stretching an extension cord from the house to the garage. I will then split that circuit numerous times to have at least 15 outlets and shop lights in the garage. I replace the existing fuse with a 300 amp Lincoln copper fuse disc. If the 18/3 extension cord running across my lawn gets hot I use a soaker hose sprinkler to cool it off. Never an issue in 60 years........I will run two extension cords one from each fuse panel buss for my 220 volt needs. Arc/wire feed welder. 7.5HP air compressor. Lathe and milling machine. Press. I do have a bucket of dirt nearby in case of fire.
I have a friend who runs natural gas through a garden hose. ;)

An outlet or two for 220, certainly. More outlets is better, never seem to have enough. I built an office, about 12x14, put in 9 outlets--and have a couple of power strips already.

Outlet outside is nice too.

I didn’t wire it but my garage has only 2 outlets and the lights on a single 20 amp circuit. Each outlet also has a garage door opener on it so in reality I only have 2 plugs out there.

Going to add another circuit or 2 since I have 200 amp service but only half the panel is currently populated. I’m thinking 4 outlets each (would check with my FIL who is an elechicken though), I rarely do much out there that requires a ton of power. Probably run a dedicated circuit just for the garage door openers and lights because why not. Don’t currently have anything requiring 220v, but that would be a super easy add on in the future since the breaker panel is in the garage and it doesn’t have any paneling or drywall in it.

I wired my air compressor outlet with 2 legs and a neutral of 220 #6 wire. Each leg on a 50 amp breaker. I backfeed my genset through it during outages.( Main breakers off of course).

All good advice, but I don't know why you would use a #18/3 extension cord when a #20/2 would do just fine. In fact, how about just one conductor, and then use the earth for the return? Those robber barons just want to sell you more copper! 😉

I am currently wiring a garage - actually a 120' long building. Of course the mains power in is on the opposite end from where my compressor and other things will be.

Im running 6/3 AWG Cu to a subpanel at the far end of the building. A 14Ga 15A circuit goes the entire length for lighting only, and then two 20A 12AWG circuits come from the main panel through the first half of the building only. For the far end, Ill come off of the 6/3 as a MWBC, from the subpanel that my compressor wires into.

Moral is, IMO, size your 240V circuit appropriately and dont forget the Neutral if you want to future proof... and Subpanels are good!

Back