Garage door cam help

Looking for some help/ suggestions on a garage door cam / remote (cell phone) operated monitor . I go to work early AM and every now and then i get few miles out and cant remember if i closed the door and have to turn around and drive all the way back. Elderly mom lives with me and shes not good on stairs anymore and id rather NOT have her going down to check it and end up falling as it wont end well .Currently have a Liftmaster opener and its NOT wifi capable .Anyone have or use one of these devices and have good luck with it? Thanks for any help.

I have this and it works great.
My garage door is a Chamberlain from 1993.

Opener broke a year or two ago and I replaced it with a Liftmaster that has this My-Q built in and it's great. You can check status from the app on your phone, open or close the door and even schedule a time in the evening to close it if left open. The Amazon driver can also open the door and put deliveries in the garage...don't have to worry about deliveries being stolen or out in the elements.

Wife bought some wifi cameras. I put one over the door, to look down at the driveway. Have thought about putting elsewhere to look at other corners of the house. Could run an extension outside to have one aimed at the garage door—or just inside, no need for an extension cord then.

Not sure about wifi security etc, but, have to ask, is it just time to get a security system, with cameras, in and outside? that you can quickly look at on your phone?

i bought the chamberlain my q and a camera for exactly the same reason as you. my mom would forget to close the garage frequently . with the my q and camera , the my q sends a notification that its been open for a while. then i look via the camera to confirm and then i remote close the opener. its been one of the best things i have done for piece of mind

eta i jsut bought a cheap wifi camera from amazon for around $20. work well as long as the signal is strong. plugged it into the same outlet as opener .

if your opener is old enough that it does not have safety sensor it might be a good time to upgrade it . the new openers offer camera and wifi all in one

Last edited:
I moved into a new home last year. I have two garage doors and two Genie wall mounted openers. There is also 2 Genie Bluetooth ceiling lights since the opener isn't in the middle of the garage to provide light. They also have battery backup, taking the common $20 emergency exit light battery. So if the power goes out, I can still open/close the garage door. I have no camera. I do have the Aladdin Connect app on my phone. It alerts me every time a door is open or closed, informs me how long it's been open or closed and I can open or close a door remotely. I can also set a temporary PIN to a outdoor keypad for someone or a delivery guy. You can also program the opener to close automatically after a set period of time the door has remained opened.

If the power goes out, Aladdin Connect will not work but the door will open and close by using the wall switch, outdoor keypad or the garage door remote at a reduced speed using the battery.

There is no monthly charge. Being able to monitor plus open and close my garage doors is my favorite modern luxury.

i bought the chamberlain my q and a camera for exactly the same reason as you. my mom would forget to close the garage frequently . with the my q and camera , the my q sends a notification that its been open for a while. then i look via the camera to confirm and then i remote close the opener. its been one of the best things i have done for piece of mind

eta i jsut bought a cheap wifi camera from amazon for around $20. work well as long as the signal is strong. plugged it into the same outlet as opener .

if your opener is old enough that it does not have safety sensor it might be a good time to upgrade it . the new openers offer camera and wifi all in oneNice
Nice.Mine is 2008-10 model i believe so it has the sensors on it and they work.

Back