Gaming PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to upgrade my gaming PC and this is some stuff I've been reccomended to use elsewhere but it seems expensive any suggestions for saving money without sacrificing too much performance?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131801 MOBO

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115229 CPU

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233143 RAM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118074 CPU
Fan(Might not need if you get a CPU with one)

I currently have a dual core 3.0 Ghz processor can't recall exact model it's socket 975 or 775 can't remember exactly.

Motherboard is an Asus PQ5 PRO and Ram is DDR2 Fata1ity. 4 GB

I'll be looking at cards later just trying to get the computer together first.

My newest laptop, a 1 year old $500 on sale Gateway, more that trippled my fps in World of Warcraft over my older desk tops. I will post the specs in a little bit.

Altogether that entire setup seems really expensive and overkill. Also, with Black Friday around the corner, I'd hold off till then.

Black Friday 2010 I bought these: AMD Phenom II X6 1055T, Hyper 212 Plus, ASUS M4A89GTD Pro/USB3, 8GB G.Skill DDR3-1333, Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB, MSI N470GTX (Undervolted to 0.90v), XFX 650w Black Edition, Antec Three Hundred Illusion, Built for $691.14. Regular prices on these would have added up to about $1200. That's also with the price of Windows 7 Home Premium too. I can max out just about any game still.

That CPU fan is really expensive. The Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus is highly rated and usually can work just as well.

I'd recommend going to Hardforum.com as well and do some research there.

If you're looking to save money, stop looking at Sandy Bridge-E and start looking at Ivy Bridge.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-overclock,3106-4.html

From the article:
Quote:
CPUs priced over $230 offer rapidly diminishing returns when it comes to game performance. As such, we have a hard time recommending anything more expensive than the Core i5-3570K, especially since this multiplier-unlocked processor can be overclocked to great effect if more performance is desired. Even at stock clocks, it meets or beats the $1000 Core i7-990X Extreme Edition when it comes to gaming.

You can pick up a 3570K processor and save yourself about $80 on the processor and pick up a X77 mobo for at least $100-$150 less than the X79 board you have selected.

16GB RAM is a bit excessive, but it's cheap, so do what you'd like. 8 GB is all you really need and it'd save $30.

Ditch the $80 cooler too. There is plenty in the $20-30 range that will performance nearly as well (sometimes, better). Cooler Master Hyper 212 would be a good place to start.

Take the money you saved on those parts and stick it right on top of whatever your GPU budget was. With an extra $200+ freed up, I'd be looking at a GTX670 or GTX680.

In Tom's last System Builder Marathon, their 3570X/GXT670 combo was running Skyrim on Ultra setting at 1920x1080 and getting an average of 82 FPS. That's with the CPU and GPU on their stock clock. An overclock brought it up to just under 100 FPS.

Here's the build:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/build-a-pc-overclock-benchmark,3276.html

Would I be in good shape to just mimic that 1k build? I already have a PSU I just bought I can use. Just got a Corsair AX 750 after my OCZ 700 died a week ago, only lasted 4 years wasn't impressed.

Also I don't need a case, picked up an Antec p180 a few years ago.

Last edited:
I started looking not needing anything at the moment but do plan to keep an eye out for good xmas sales and black friday deals.

Last edited:
Current laptop is a Gateway NV55S02u, AMD Quad core A6-3400M, 4 GB DDR3 ram, Radeon HD6520G onboad graphics, old PC has a AMD 64x2 5000+, 2 GB ram and NVidia 5150SE on board graphics I bought a video card but it never worked. I think the PCI express slot is bad, haven't tried the card on another PC to check. The older PC has a AMD 3300+, I think 1 GB ram, and a Radeon 9600Pro. This current laptop blows those desktops away I don't know if it is the Quad core processor or the extra ram.

Originally Posted By: Scotty1981

I think you are going about this a bit backwards.

If I have a budget, and I want a gaming rig, then the videocard/GPU is my primary consideration, and my biggest single cash outlay.

Socket 1155 with either Ivy Bridge or Sandy Bridge will give you >95% the performance per clock of Socket 2011. 2011 shines when you run multiple video cards, need 6+ cores, or need obscene amounts of memory bandwidth.

If I was building a gaming rig, A good Z77 Socket 1155 board, a 3570K, 2X8gig RAM, and a GTX680/GTX670 or ATI 7970/7950 would fill the bill.

For value?
Intel 3500K
ASUS P8Z68-V pro
XFX Radeon 7850 Double Dissipation
Crucial 128GB SSD + HDD of your choice

Basically my same setup. Decent price, but gets you a whole lot of performance.

Originally Posted By: punisher

If I have a budget, and I want a gaming rig, then the videocard/GPU is my primary consideration, and my biggest single cash outlay.

Socket 1155 with either Ivy Bridge or Sandy Bridge will give you >95% the performance per clock of Socket 2011. 2011 shines when you run multiple video cards, need 6+ cores, or need obscene amounts of memory bandwidth.

If I was building a gaming rig, A good Z77 Socket 1155 board, a 3570K, 2X8gig RAM, and a GTX680/GTX670 or ATI 7970/7950 would fill the bill.

That is why I don't understand why this laptop is as fast as it is.

Thanks for the concern but I can play my games ok for now not maxed but I'm doing ok with two ATI Radeon 4800 series in Xfire and I just want to get the most PC for my budget, I can save up again for a card later or use some of my tax refund for the cards. That is why I wasn't too concerned with cards at the moment. I will take everyones advice and go with a Z77 and Ivy Bridge for now, not sure which MB to get but everyone is reccomending the i5 3570k.

Originally Posted By: punisher

Originally Posted By: Rand
1155 is so much better as far as price and value.

Both the ASrock and the Asus are LGA 1155 so I am not sure which one you are saying is better. Sorry If I wasn't clear I wasn't referring the the Sabertooth x79 linked earlier but to the sabertooth z77 model, I have already decided to go with a Z77 as opposed to an X79 MB

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back