G48 or G05

Hi.

My 2008 Jeep with the Mercedes OM642 diesel engine requires a HOAT coolant. It is due a coolant change. Both G48 and G05 are available to me. Is one better than the other?

Many thanks.

You may find this helpful;
Hi.
That is a great list.

So for Jeep vehicles pre 2010 it states G05. MS9769

For Mercedes - the engine manufacturer - pre 2014 it states G48. MB325.0

One UK manufacturer of G48 lists it as up to 3 year service life. https://www.commaoil.com/passenger-vehicles/products/view/563. That does not seem long for a coolant. The original MS9769 as filled by Jeep - the orange stuff - was 5 years.

I am leaning toward G48 as that is what seems to be in it now. Blue coolant. I just wondered if there was any advantage to G05.

Thanks.

Hi.
That is a great list.

So for Jeep vehicles pre 2010 it states G05. MS9769

For Mercedes - the engine manufacturer - pre 2014 it states G48. MB325.0

One UK manufacturer of G48 lists it as up to 3 year service life. https://www.commaoil.com/passenger-vehicles/products/view/563. That does not seem long for a coolant. The original MS9769 as filled by Jeep - the orange stuff - was 5 years.

I am leaning toward G48 as that is what seems to be in it now. Blue coolant. I just wondered if there was any advantage to G05.

Thanks.
One thing I have noticed is the orange Chrysler brand 5 year MS-9769 antifreeze, which is usually considered to be a G-05 clone, doesn't list nitrates on the MSDS. Actual G-05 MS-9769 does list nitrites. The purpose of nitrites in antifreeze was to provide cavitation protection to diesel engine cylinder liners, which have unique stresses caused by the strong firing impulse that gasoline engines don't experience. I'm not aware of any benefit to nitrites in a gasoline engine. Newer formulations have gone away from nitrites, what newer additive is used for that cavitation protection, I don't know.
Mopar 5 year antifreeze;
chrysler5yrmsdsclipped.jpg

Zerex G-05;
G-05msdsclipped.jpg

Hi.
Fwiw.
I contacted BASF in Germany, they make Glysantine that is in the G series coolants.

I asked the difference between G05 and G48 being as they are both HOAT.

They replied.
'The main difference is that G48 is made for engines with a higher share of aluminum and G05 is made for engines with a higher share of cast iron'.

Maybe why Jeep suggests G05. One coolant for all engines including the old V8.

G-05 uses sodium benzoate as the OAT component, and borate for pitting protection of wet liners alongside the silicate part. G-48 uses 2-EHA and silicate with no borate. The Japanese frown upon borate due to effects on aluminum.

There’s a trend to drop nitrite in heavy-duty coolants since they turn into amines but also the increase in use of aluminum - including controlled-atmosphere brazed heat exchangers. Rotella ELC NF, Final Charge, Prestone Cor-Guard(both the 2-EHA/sebacate automotive and non 2-EHA “heavy-duty” Command version) and Japanese coolants are all nitrite-free.

G-05 uses sodium benzoate as the OAT component, and borate for pitting protection of wet liners alongside the silicate part. G-48 uses 2-EHA and silicate with no borate. The Japanese frown upon borate due to effects on aluminum.
G48 is borated

Reactions: FCD
Hi CleanSump.
I wonder if Mercedes did things differently in Europe? From what i can ascertain, they used a G48 -Blue- up until 2014. After that it seems they have moved to a G12-Pink-.

There’s a trend to drop nitrite in heavy-duty coolants since they turn into amines but also the increase in use of aluminum - including controlled-atmosphere brazed heat exchangers. Rotella ELC NF, Final Charge, Prestone Cor-Guard(both the 2-EHA/sebacate automotive and non 2-EHA “heavy-duty” Command version) and Japanese coolants are all nitrite-free.
G48 does have Borate, and not all of them use 2-Eha, some use Benzoate instead too.

I use a G48 in both my cars ( G11 actually but it's the same as G48 ) and it does not have 2-Eha.

G48 does have Borate, and not all of them use 2-Eha, some use Benzoate instead too.

I use a G48 in both my cars ( G11 actually but it's the same as G48 ) and it does not have 2-Eha.
Ok, I stand corrected. If Toyota and Honda have disdain for borate, how come BMW, Mercedes and Tesla aren’t having cooling system issues and they’re aluminum heavy. All speced G-48 but I’ve read here BMW is using a new green coolant and Mercedes has been using G-40 for a while.

Yeah, Mercedes did switch to G40 a few years ago.

Ok, I stand corrected. If Toyota and Honda have disdain for borate, how come BMW, Mercedes and Tesla aren’t having cooling system issues and they’re aluminum heavy. All speced G-48 but I’ve read here BMW is using a new green coolant and Mercedes has been using G-40 for a while.
I guess the Silicate content is high enough to counteract the potential corrosive effect of Borate on Aluminium, G48 has a realtively high Silicate content of 600-700ppm, G40 for example has 500 and G05 about 250.

If you download the safety data sheet of any coolant if it has 2-Eha, it will appear.
Sure. But if someone is aware of a brand that doesn’t have it, and knows this offhand, it would be useful versus searching MSDSs.

Back