G05 vs. G12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well my mechanic ran out of G12, and drained and flushed my coolant system and dropped in Prestone "Yellow", aka G05 if I'm not mistaken. Or the Long life. **** I don't know.

At any rate. If it's G05, I don't think I have much to worry about. It's supposedly good stuff. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

I'm a hair miffed about it, since I really wanted a G12 fill..and I'm real particular about things like that but as long as it's not the oldschool green stuff I should probably not be overly concerned.

Prestone "Yellow" is not G-05 (reference to jug color, not product color - if yours is a very pale amber diluted, nearly water white, then it really may be Zerex G-05...). The Prestone is an unlicensed DEX-COOL® clone, which makes it chemically very close to G-12. If you're as overly concerned as you say, insist your mechanic replace what he poured in your VW's cooling system with genuine G-12. You paid for G-12, so, he shouldn't have substituted, no matter how well intentioned, without clearing it with you beforehand. I use SuperTech "Blue" which is supplied by Prestone to WalMart and is otherwise identical to Prestone "Yellow". I just entered year three with it in my Sonata. But, I knew before my last changeout what I would be using, did my research, and bought for 4.88/gallon. So far the stuff remains bright green and clear in the radiator with no scale, corrosion, or slime. The temp gauge never went above its customary position of 3/8 the way up to the center mark despite the hottest summer in SoCal for the past decade - and I run my A/C full blast (or not at all if it's below 75 degrees outside).

Yeah I told my mechanic I was a little burned about it.

He said "no prob, call monday and we'll fix it". So that's that. I'm getting my G12 put back in.

I told 'em. If I know it's G12, that means I know VW says it's ok for me to use.

So I guess that'll do it unless someone says there's no reason to change from the prestone "compatible with everything" coolant.

I wouldn't worry about it. I don't think there's much difference between dexcool and G12. If you have to do any future repairs that drain the coolant, Dexcool is much more readily available.

I agree with you, but I doubt Marco will quit obsessing until he has genuine G-12 in his VW. And if he paid the price for G-12, he might as well get his money's worth if his mechanic's willing to do it on his own nickel. A shame that perfectly good Prestone All Makes/Extended Life'll be going down the pooper, though.

So, the all makes/extended is just Dex-Cool without the Dye?

If that's the case, I may just leave it since Dex-Cool and G12 are virtually identical

Prestone in the yellow jug is a dexclone without DEX-COOL's signature orange dye. It does, however, contain a slightly yellowish green dye. Question, Marco - what color does your new coolant show in the overflow bottle or pressurized expansion tank?

It's yellowish green just as you state. The mechanic showed me the jug so I'd know what he put in. It was the All Makes version we've been discussing.

Although it may be more green than yellow?
I'll check again when my motor cools off.

Yeah, that sounds exactly right for the Prestone. The SuperTech version I use is dyed a bluish-green (again, heavier on the green), otherwise the same stuff - shows the same active chemistry on the back of the jug.

Cool.

I guess I won't worry then.

I just wanted the super green stuff out, as I know that's not good for this motor. (Previous owner had the flush/pump work done.. techs put in green stuff..)

It's supplied by Prestone in bulk, though bottled and boxed by "Alsip Packaging" in Alsip, Illinois - just dyed a bluish-green instead of Prestone's traditional yellowish-green. Check the working ingredients listing on both jugs rear labeling. Also check the format similarities of the alpha-numeric production-date codes on both jugs. As to whether SuperTech is as good as the Prestone, I've entered month 26 since I changed out the OEM stuff supplied by Hyundai. No issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back