Future vintage car: EFI or carbs better?

If it’s a simple carb like a Holley, carbs all day but it’s a lost art to service and tune ‘em.

GM managed to milk the QuadraJet until the 1990s when they introduced TBI/CPI on the trucks and their cars started to use MPI/SFI. Mercedes was last to use continuous mechanical fuel injection, K/KE-Jetronic until the 1990s as well, BMW and VW stopped using it in the early 1980s. That’s a testament to for the time “advanced” tech. All GM did was modify the Q-Jet with fuel/throttle control solenoids and Bosch tacked on a electrohydraulic actuator onto K-Jet.

That looks way more complex than Bosch K-Jetronic which Mercedes kept on using until they transitioned over to LH-Jetronic/Motronic in 1992-1994.
And they had lotsa problems. There is an expert just east of Sac who "fixes" them. My BIL's unit is there right now.
Here's Mark's 62 Fuelie:
62 Fuelie Side.jpeg

Is this a purely hypothetical exercise or is it actually under consideration. If not purely hypothetical what car specifically.

A lot of older EFI is getting hard/expensive to obtain parts for (try to buy something for a an old L jet System)

I would (did) probably choose an old carbureted dinosaur with a modern injection system...
To be more precise I'm thinking of the Toyota Corollas that switched from carbs to EFI around 1990.
Can you always fit an aftermarket EFI to a carb but never fit an aftermarket EFI to an original EFI?

To be more precise I'm thinking of the Toyota Corollas that switched from carbs to EFI around 1990.
Can you always fit an aftermarket EFI to a carb but never fit an aftermarket EFI to an original EFI?
Honda still used a weird TBI-like system in the 1990s as well.

If the engine is anything like a SBC, the EFI version has an extra few sensors(ECT/knock/O2), electronic ignition and the fuel pump mounting boss is blocked off.

I'm pretty unfamiliar with that particular car.

However, many Japanese cars of that era had a breathtaking number of vacuum lines particularly the carbed ones at least here in the states.

Assuming its electronic injection (NipponDenso copy of L jet?) you could probably megasquirt it.

For a Corolla, im not sure what's out there, can you get a weber progressive for it?

If you take something like a Small Block Ford or Chevy you can easily go anywhere for factory carb or factory EFI and any level of aftermarket in between...

carb all the way. there will always be parts and kits for those. even if the throttle shaft wears out just put new bushings.
computers fail and cannot be fixed usually.
simple choice for me

For me personally, Ford OHV Cologne 4.0 with OBD2 and multi port injection. I've owned 4, but all with OBD1. Granted lack of OBD2 diagnostics was only a problem on the stupid green Ranger from hell. Never had a problem with an Explorer, knock on wood. I've heard of capacitor problems and stuff, but never experienced that. I was getting frustrated with the Ranger, opened the "ECM", sprayed down the inside with electrical connector cleaner, and the stupid thing actually worked for a while after that. The problem ended up being the ignition coil, the truck was just too dumb to tell me that.

If it’s a simple carb like a Holley, carbs all day but it’s a lost art to service and tune ‘em.

GM managed to milk the QuadraJet until the 1990s when they introduced TBI/CPI on the trucks and their cars started to use MPI/SFI. Mercedes was last to use continuous mechanical fuel injection, K/KE-Jetronic until the 1990s as well, BMW and VW stopped using it in the early 1980s. That’s a testament to for the time “advanced” tech. All GM did was modify the Q-Jet with fuel/throttle control solenoids and Bosch tacked on a electrohydraulic actuator onto K-Jet.

A Holly 4 barrel tuned right though from a real guy using a dyno and electronic ignition - and you are set

I prefer all day long on a vintage small or big block based car than anything with a computer in it.

I'm still waiting for any modern NA engine to run as well as my 500/500 406 with a 4 barrel that I built for 7500 bones.

I have way more issues over a long span of time with computers and injected rigs than I ever did my carb rigs

EFI all day long. I would try to find myself a 2.2/2.5 Mopar Turbo. Easy to work on you can still get most of the failure items. Like injectors, MAPs, and the hall effect pickup. I have had a few cars with carbs, eh. They ran fine, just not interested. The WS6 is 22 years old, never give me any fits and I supect it will stay that way.

Good question. On the one hand, carburetors are adjustable and while they may need repair kits, they are fairly reliable. EFI is pretty reliable too, until the electronics start having trouble. ROMs aren't guaranteed to hold data forever, and if an engine ECU starts having problems, getting it repaired or finding a spare could be difficult.

Then again, you can have the fabulous Zenith-Stromberg carburetor in my MG. I can still get repair kits, and I did snag a spare carb at one point, but some of the parts are no longer available. Even when it's working at its best it makes you appreciate that EFI just works so much better.

Hi,

Imagine the following:

You have the possibility to own an already 30 year old mass produced completely rust free car. The car is going to be your daily driver for the next 30 years and until then the car will be 60 years old.

But you have to make a choice: The car comes with either electronic fuel injection OR carburetors. Which one do you choose and why?

My point of view - although I am just guessing: The EFI is very very reliable as a daily driver in all conditions, summer and winter. The carbs will have more trouble and need more adjustments, tweeks etc. However, there is a chance that the EFI module will start to malfunction since 60 years is a looooong time for electronic components and buying a new module is almost impossible. A carb might need more attention but can always be fixed and repaired.

What is your point of view?

L
I wouldn't daily drive a classic, EFI or Carb.

Back