Furniture II

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
How hard can it really be to find nice, solid, wood furniture, made in the USA, which doesnt have some degree of chintziness to it?

Since we're getting married before too long, we are looking at real furniture to deck our house out with. Not super fancy or expensive, but at least solid wood with timeless designs that will look and reflect their quality for years to come.

Well, thinking we'd play the trendy couple, we decided to go to look at pottery barn and restoration hardware - both are decent stores with some nice wares, sometimes, when theyre not trying to be too haughty with the crows that leases their showoff cars and has too much debt... Anyway, pottery barn had a real nice TV console and a sectional sofa, both of which would look great in our living room, which, being in an old house, has lots of fine original woodwork for the trim. The sectional was nice, but $3499, and it wasnt even a sleeper or leather?!? cripes... the tv stand was relatively reasonable for the size and construction, but the wood was just a veneer, it wasnt real, and you could see that it was likely pressed wood under the veneer... what gives????

Restoration hardware wasa bit better... we looked at their bedroom furniture after not being all that impressed at PB. Their bedroom stuff is nice in terms of decent dovetailed cedar drawers, made in USA, solid tops, etc., but even their stuff (and it is $$$$$, like most likely $8-10k for a bedroom set, total). Yet, some of their stuff had very thin panels on the sides, the supports on the bed setup that we liked showed cracking in the veneer on the sides, and though it was put together well, was sturdy, etc., it doesnt have the overall HQ look and feel of my parents' Queen Anne (cherry) furniture that they have throughout the house, or the real antique furniture that my grandparents have...

Im kind of bummed... any furniture store doesnt have things that are better in the slightest, and are filled with used care salesmenish people...

What have you done???

Thanks,

JMH in the pressed wood doldrums

The best furniture in my house came from Haverty's. From there, prices only go up...Thomasville ($$$), Rob & Stucky ($$$$), and then there's Cantoni ($$$$$). I bought an armoir from Haverty's in 2002 and didn't realize until we loaded in in our pickup that it weights >700 lbs. It's the only piece of furniture in the house that I have moved, instead of moving it myself. It's a serious back-breaker. It isn't even that big, but it's Happy hunting!

Ugh...sorry about that last sentence..not sure what happened. It's supposed to read: It's not even that big, but it's solid Cherry and I paid $699 for it. Happy hunting!

Can we have the edit button back please?

Not being able to find solid wood furniture that was not gaudy at the same time was what drove us consider European designs.

I am happy with my Nichols & Stone dining room set. They have been around since 1857 in Gardiner, MA. I can sit in a wooden dining room chair for 8hrs working without any issue, very comfy.

I've been there JMH! Pottery and Restoration were both very tempting but then I read an article that name Pottery, Restoration, and Crate & Barrel as rip-offs. All three have a different target consumer, but have the same thing in common; they mimic designs of quality pieces but use cheap materials/labor to make furniture look just as good to the consumer. They use code words like "inspired by, resembles, classic design, substantial looking”, to say, “We pay our designers top dollar to make knock-offs.”

We ended up shopping at local consignments, low-profile antique shops, yard sales, and craigslist, which we are still doing from time to time. For the things we “needed” right away (couches, tables, etc.), we bought at Ethan Allen. I wouldn’t say Ethan is 100% not guilty, but they are definitely better than the veneer-cladded particleboard companies mentioned above. I still enjoy thumbing thru their catalogs and will order smaller ticket items, but definitely never their furniture.

There are many, many hobbyist woodworkers out there that build custom furniture in their basement and garage shops all over the country with very high-quality materials that no factory would ever even think about using.

You just gotta find them. And from what I have seen, they work pretty cheap, too.

thooks,

Hobbyist woodworker who has given his labor away for free more than once, just to be able to build something.

Quote:

For the things we “needed” right away (couches, tables, etc.), we bought at Ethan Allen. I wouldn’t say Ethan is 100% not guilty, but they are definitely better than the veneer-cladded particleboard companies mentioned above. I still enjoy thumbing thru their catalogs and will order smaller ticket items, but definitely never their furniture.

Why would you never buy Ethan Allen furniture? The majority of it is made in the USA according to the stickers and such on their furniture.

Thanks all... keep the links coming if you have them!!! My thoughts have been confirmed, but we already see stuff we like at ethan allen, and a store isnt far away from us! I love antiques and whatnot, though they get so pricey these days... At least I wont be paying top $$$ for non-heirloom furniture. I just want solid stuff.

Soon the Ethan Allen wares will be gone over with a fine tooth comb... Ill hope for the best and will also bne checking out the other brands listed as I am able.

Thanks!

JMH

benjamming,
I do buy from Ethan Allen, but not all their stuff is solid, which was a prerequisite of JMH.

I must have looked at thirty furniture stores when I was shopping, and often only found one store out of the thirty that had what I wanted in a particular type of item. So get out there and do some serious shopping!

Yeah, I have to agree with rpn453. We were shopping for an entire house of furniture since we now live an apartment with furniture from 1972 that is ugly gold, uncomfortable, yet was free to us. We shopped for a couple months going to every furniture store within 50 miles. We usually only found 1-2 choices for each item that we liked. Some furniture sales folks need to learn a few things.

I always thought that solid wood for say, a table, is not always the best thing. 5-ply or 7-ply veneer items can actually be pretty good and stronger than a solid piece of wood.

Did the inferior pieces follow a particular piece of furniture or collection? What was so bad about them?
I am interested in this topic as well b/c we still have to decide what furniture we want to purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back