Furnace Filter

Hopefully this is an other filters topic. Where do y'all get your furnace filters at? The HVAC tech that looked our furnace over today charged me $6 for a MERV 10. I thought that was a great deal! The big box and home stores are $10+ for anything MERV 10 or higher. I've seen some online places for close to $6. Anyone use the online stores and have good luck? Any had awful luck? Given the 3 oil filters I tried buying from Amazon had dented cans I'm hesitant to buy crushed and destroyed furnace filters online. Maybe I just call the HVAC place and ask if I can get 10 for $60?

I usually just get FPR 5 or 6 for 2 or 3 bucks each 12 at a time.
home depot puts them on sale a couple times a year 12 for $30 etc.
I'm a believer in cheaper can be better although the "higher filtering" filters usually have extra pleats to make up for some of the restriction.

last one was 12 for $21 FPR 5
anything that is pleated will remove all the major junk.
avoid the spun fiberglass type.

Following this because I was using the Kirkland ones from Costco but then my HVAC tech advised me to stop using them or at least not to use them during AC season.

His reasoning was they are too restrictive.

Following this because I was using the Kirkland ones from Costco but then my HVAC tech advised me to stop using them or at least not to use them during AC season.

His reasoning was they are too restrictive.
I was told the same. He said their purpose is to keep the coil clean, not filter your house air. "If you want an air filter buy a hepa filter." Maybe a brand new system designed to run a merv 10 and is nice and big. A standard mass production house isn't that.

Our HVAC guy told me to buy the "cheap" filters that cost around $5 and change them every month. This was after he had to come out when our furnace quit working and it turns out it was only a limit switch that tripped and he attributed it to the heavy filter I was using. Said it was too restrictive for our unit.... A second guy that came out (first guy was on vacation) asked me how often I changed the filter - he wanted to make sure a) I was routinely changing them and b) changing them frequently enough. When I told him "Dennis told me to use the $5 filters and change them every 30 days" and he gave me a thumbs up and said keep doing that.

Had an electronic air cleaner that quit a few years ago so I just removed it and have be going with no filter. Can't tell any difference and certainly less restrictive. I think they are about like cabin air filters.

You got a good deal on your MERV 10. However, I was told to use MERV 5 or less to get better airflow across the heat exchanger. He said higher MERV filters tend to cause heat exchanger cracking due to the higher temperatures and increased metal expansion/contraction which is encountered.

Reactions: hrv
I had two 1" Bonaire washable filters made (aluminum frames with looks like polyester media).
My filter housing fits a 20x20x4 filter. I cycle out the Bonaire filters, so I always have a clean one ready.
The filters are custom sized so they fit snug, not sloppy like standard 20x20 filters.
I place the Bonaire filter on the bottom and add a cheap fiberglass filter on top of it.
My furnace flows down, so the larger contamination gets trapped by the cheap filter on top.
Air flow using this combo is not a problem.

Over the years I've tried Merv 11 & 13. My current combo is used because of the bang for the buck.
BTW, my Trane system is 18 years old and only serviced by a tech last year for a small refrigerant top-off.
Any other work done on it has been DIY by me personally (thermostat, control board, evap cap & con cap).

Hopefully this is an other filters topic. Where do y'all get your furnace filters at? The HVAC tech that looked our furnace over today charged me $6 for a MERV 10. I thought that was a great deal! The big box and home stores are $10+ for anything MERV 10 or higher. I've seen some online places for close to $6. Anyone use the online stores and have good luck? Any had awful luck? Given the 3 oil filters I tried buying from Amazon had dented cans I'm hesitant to buy crushed and destroyed furnace filters online. Maybe I just call the HVAC place and ask if I can get 10 for $60?
I use the 3m Filtrete furnace filters. They are top notch and catch alot of dust, pollen, mites etc. Remember furnace filters are cheap furnaces are not.

Our HVAC guy told me to buy the "cheap" filters that cost around $5 and change them every month. This was after he had to come out when our furnace quit working and it turns out it was only a limit switch that tripped and he attributed it to the heavy filter I was using. Said it was too restrictive for our unit.... A second guy that came out (first guy was on vacation) asked me how often I changed the filter - he wanted to make sure a) I was routinely changing them and b) changing them frequently enough. When I told him "Dennis told me to use the $5 filters and change them every 30 days" and he gave me a thumbs up and said keep doing that.
I've had HVAC guys tell me the same. Stay away from the heavy filters. They are much too restrictive. I usually buy the cheapest 3M filters from Home Depot or Lowe's. Spray them with Endust, and in they go.

During the A/C season my unit runs a lot, so I change them once a month. This time of year I'll put a new one in and it will remain until Spring. We rarely use our heat pump.

Reactions: hrv
Had an electronic air cleaner that quit a few years ago so I just removed it and have be going with no filter. Can't tell any difference and certainly less restrictive. I think they are about like cabin air filters.
You're going to be crying when your AC evaporator coil is plugged solid with dust and freezing up. Only way to clean them is to pull the whole coil out.

Interesting. I was reading anything over a MERV 12 is a bad idea. The furnace tech told me MERV 10 is a good number during wildfire season with AC. That's what he installed for winter, said they get them from their Rheem supplier and they're a solid filter. Didn't realize in the land of BITOG rock catchers would be so popular for a furnace but the complete opposite for a car engine that shouldn't have anything floating in it. We get horrible pollen in the spring and fall. I about die without allergy meds and 10 Flonase sprays per day in April through June.

You're going to be crying when your AC evaporator coil is plugged solid with dust and freezing up. Only way to clean them is to pull the whole coil out.
Yeah some older units don't even pull out. You have to spray up inside the unit hopefully getting rid of the dirt.

Interesting. I was reading anything over a MERV 12 is a bad idea. The furnace tech told me MERV 10 is a good number during wildfire season with AC. That's what he installed for winter, said they get them from their Rheem supplier and they're a solid filter. Didn't realize in the land of BITOG rock catchers would be so popular for a furnace but the complete opposite for a car engine that shouldn't have anything floating in it. We get horrible pollen in the spring and fall. I about die without allergy meds and 10 Flonase sprays per day in April through June.
I did maintenance for a cheapskate apartment complex. They used pre filters as the filter. The ducts were coated with grime and were disgusting. I've used the 3m Filtrete filters and the ducting is clean as can be. The hvac guy that installed my parents new furnace said "Filters are cheap new furnaces and parts aren't. "

Back