Fundamental Diet Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I work nights and most often am not home for a proper home cooked meal, so I would often succumb to temptation and just get fast food. But now I'm at the point where I'm just sick of it. Eating it makes you sick and I'm against just about every facet of the fast food business model.

Too many people don't bother to think that even though they can get a double cheeseburger for $1 (what a deal, right?) that there are just so many hidden costs. The fast food model supports poor health, factory farms, pollution, non living wages, the list goes on. But I'm not here to rip on fast food all day. We all know that it kinda sucks.

So what I'm doing is trying to change my personal food consumption rules, some of my own making, some coming from ideas I have read about. Credit goes to Micheal Pollan, who has written a few books about food and came up with some of them.

-Eliminate corn syrup completely. Cut down on white sugar. Use honey and maple syrup as needed. Fresh fruit is OK in moderation.

-Stick mostly to food found in the outer perimeters of the grocery store. Produce, fresh dairy, meats, and baked goods. Basically foods that are not long term shelf stable.

-Don't eat foods with ingredients a third grader can't pronounce or you wouldn't find in the average pantry.

-Cut down on meat consumption. Americans eat too much meat. Meat that I do eat needs to be local and preferably pastured.

-Stop eating things that come from the other side of the globe. As great as it is to never have anything out of season, eating grapes from Chile in January isn't practical.

-Cut the fried foods. The quality of most restaurant frying oil is suspect. (After a round of beers all bets are off with this rule!)

-One of my favorite rules from Micheal Pollan, "don't fuel yourself up at the same place as your car, and real food doesn't come through a car window"

I could go on, but that's the just of it. I'm not going to preach to someone what they should and shouldn't eat, I just wish that more people would put some thought into it before shoveling the garbage into themselves that they do. Why give hard earned dollars to a company that makes food with absolutely NO nutritional value?

True. After a hard day, it's nice to "treat" myself to that grilled stuff'd burrito.

Personaly, I eat oatmeal with wheat germ, flaxseed meal and agave nectar for breakfast and a small lunch. My problem is the night time snacking and weekly Taco Bell stops, not to mention my weekend movie popcorn and calorie-rich meal where ever we eat that night... While I have no problem eating healthy through out the day, it's proving very tough to put down the bag of chips at night : / The "tomorrow" mentality kills me, too. I've been saying I'll go to the gym tomorrow for the past three months! Now THAT'S a waste!

Last edited:
I had your 'revelation' if you could call it that earlier this year. I even bought a juicer and use it everyday to make fresh vegetable and fruit juices.

Never felt better.

You have to see the "Super Size Me" movie:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0390521/

Two worst ingredients are:
High-fructose corn syrup, promotes obesity, diabetes, and is commonly contaminated with mercury.
Partially hydrogenated oil (such as baking oil or frying oil), promotes atherosclerosis.

A friend on mine did a rat study feeding rats "american-like diet" with the ingredients above and rats very quickly developed liver steatosis and hepatitis.

Got all the soda pop out of the house, and no more - - - - sorry to say it - - - - - - - - - - - Beer, "D"oh . I do miss a couple of good cold beers with a HUGE fish sandwich drowned in cocktail sauce. But it has been years since I've had a beer. Tried O'Douls with the Huge fish sandwich drowned in cocktail sauce, not the same. Probably the only thing about eating healthier that I miss.

No more meat or fish, gone Vegetarian 4 years ago. The only time I miss anything is when I think of the monster fish sandwich swimming in cock-tail sauce with a couple of cold beers. The real advantage of going Vegetarian is it is soooo easy to pass up all fast food places.

i'm on this wavelength as well. lots of salads with various leafy greens. i make a big pot of whole grain rice and veggies once a week and then i can put a can of tuna on it or whatever and make a quick wholesome meal that way.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
High-fructose corn syrup, promotes obesity, diabetes, and is commonly contaminated with mercury.

I've not heard this claim before (that I remember). Any truth to it? If so, what levels of mercury? How many samples were contaminated & what was the sample size?

no one diet works for everyone.

May want to read some nutritional typing books.

Solves a lot of problems for folks.

But remember, if it comes in a box you'd be better off eating the box!

I think the problem I have most is eating until I'm full instead of when I'm satisfied. At restaurants I'll stop when I'm satisfied, but continue to chat and pick at the left overs until most of that is gone. By the time I realize it I tell myself that there just isn't enough to make it worth taking home, so I stuff that in, too. Recently, I've been asking for a to-go box as soon as I can to prevent this. I don't have the over-stuffed feeling, and save money since tomorrow's lunch is "free."

I don't consider myself any more than pudgey, but, with some discipline, I could be jacked diesel! Tonight will be the night that I say no to the chips or spicy shrimp flavored crackers!
29.gif

I haven't touched fast food in the last 30 or so years. It's hard now to even smell food from somewhere like McDonalds-it about makes me wretch.

Corn syrup, white flour, refined sugar and white bread are not in our home. Remember-the whiter the bread the sooner you're dead. The only breads we eat are whole wheat.

Among other things, no soda pop whatsoever is allowed in our home.

Watch some of the labeling tricks that marketers play. "MultiGrain" sounds good, but unless it's the whole grain then it may be 2 or more refined grains.

Also keep a close eye on sodium. Some foods labeled as "healthy" contain huge amounts of sodium. If you're reading nutrition labels watch the portion sizes. Some companies use smaller portions to disguise the high calorie content.

If you have a grocery store that has the NuVal system available it's a pretty good nutritional scoring system.

Your lifestyle change should also include exercise-after a while you'll marvel at how good you feel when you've shed some of that unwanted weight and increased your stamina.

It's hard for me to fathom why more people don't come to the same realization that you have. Good luck.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Corn syrup, white flour, refined sugar and white bread are not in our home. Remember-the whiter the bread the sooner you're dead. The only breads we eat are whole wheat.

I've heard this (bolded text) from a few folks on here. What was the research that led to this conclusion?

Originally Posted By: benjamming

I've heard this (bolded text) from a few folks on here. What was the research that led to this conclusion?

Because white flour, white sugar, and corn syrup has no nutritional value whatsoever other than as a source of calories. All of the nutrition of the wheat kernel (the bran, etc) has been stripped away. Corn syrup and sugar have no nutritonal value to begin with.

As for SuperSizeMe and Food Inc, I have seen both of them. Also have read quite a few food books in my time, ex-girl was a nutritionist so I know a fair bit about reading labels and ingredients.

As far as getting rid of beer, never!! I drink mostly craft brewed beers that aren't pasteurized and contain only malted barley, hops, yeast, and water. I stay away from the big boys like Bud and Miller, because they tend to brew their beer with a lot of - you guessed it - CORN.

I can pretty much echo what others here have said about eliminating white flour and processed sugars. A while back I found my weight moving on up, and since I'm loathe to exercise (though I do), I took the diet approach (a "permanent" diet switch). The basic things I cut out or severely restricted include:

White flour & bread (replaced w/double fibre bread)
Corn & corn-based products
Sugars (replaced w/artificial...bad, I know...and sugar liquors)
Pasta
Potatoes

As you can tell from that list, it's pretty much about limiting simple carbohydrates; I try to keep myself below 125g per day, but that bounces around...weekends, more carbs, weekdays, less carbs. There are problems with this approach though, namely that you replace "carby" foods with things like meats and dairy products. Gorging on red meat and bacon in place of corn syrup and french fries isn't gonna cut it; it's a "good lookin' corpse" situation. Also, a lot of people can't keep it this up, long-term. But if you can find ways to moderate your intake of bad stuff, while gorging on good things (ie, replacing potatoes, corn & beans with brocolli, cauliflower, green beans, etc.)...not to mention eating slowly and drinking a glass of water before a meal...you can succeed over the long haul.

As for beer, there's not a lot of nutritional benefit there...whether it's mass-produced garbage or finessed craft beers. I used to be a huge (HUGE) hefeweizen fan; obviously, that had to go from a regular thing to an occasional treat. And on the plus side, there are "low-carb" beers (Michelob Ultra = Meh)...though you don't drink them for taste, you drink them to catch a very light buzz. But more so than beer, it was most beneficial to move from regular soda to diet. Sure, there are probably things in them that probably cause tumors in lab mice...but the alternative (corn syrup/insulin swings/metabolism problems) would be worse for me.

I've been on this for a good while now and had fairly good results (lost 22lbs, HDL up, LDL & triglycerides down), but it's not a "be-all-end-all" solution. Next up is sodium...and that is going to be really hard. I suspect I'll be visiting Costco for a case of "Mrs. Dash" in the near future.

Originally Posted By: AcuraTech

Because white flour, white sugar, and corn syrup has no nutritional value whatsoever other than as a source of calories. All of the nutrition of the wheat kernel (the bran, etc) has been stripped away. Corn syrup and sugar have no nutritional value to begin with.

As for SuperSizeMe and Food Inc, I have seen both of them. Also have read quite a few food books in my time, ex-girl was a nutritionist so I know a fair bit about reading labels and ingredients.

As far as getting rid of beer, never!! I drink mostly craft brewed beers that aren't pasteurized and contain only malted barley, hops, yeast, and water. I stay away from the big boys like Bud and Miller, because they tend to brew their beer with a lot of - you guessed it - CORN.

Chewing gum has no nutritional value either (typically, beer doesn't either does it?) but I don't hear about folks dropping over dead b/c of it. Having no nutritional value doesn't equate to killing IMHO, w/in moderation of course. However, I am interested to know where this hypothesis started & why.

Chewing gum has no nutritional value either (typically, beer doesn't either does it?) but I don't hear about folks dropping over dead b/c of it. Having no nutritional value doesn't equate to killing IMHO, w/in moderation of course. However, I am interested to know where this hypothesis started & why.

It's well beyond being a hypothesis.

White bread, as with white pasta and other products made from refined white flour, contains a large proportion of high GI (glycemic index) carbohydrates. GI carbs cause sugars to be released quickly into the bloodstream. This causes a rapid rise in blood sugar levels which triggers a similarly rapid release of the body’s own sugar regulating hormone (insulin). This hormone is secreted in the pancreas and is responsible for regulating blood sugar levels. Insulin is what people suffering with type 1 diabetes have to inject to regulate their blood sugar levels because their body does not produce enough naturally. Type II diabetes is a rapidly spreading disease brought on by too frequent imbalances in blood sugar levels causing insulin production to become overworked, which eventually leads to the problem and all the negative health aspects associated with it.

Other negative health aspects come in the form of raised levels of bad LDL cholesterol in your bloodstream. This can lead to problems such as heart disease related to the narrowing of the arteries. When levels of LDL cholesterol become too high artery walls thicken and blockages can occur, leading to thrombosis (blood clots) as well as high blood pressure.

Another negative effect of eating white bread is on the body’s metabolism. Metabolism can be slowed causing reduced efficiency in digestion and greater fat storage, which is more often than not accumulated around the belly. In fact, this is one of the main reasons why weight loss is so difficult for people who continue to eat white bread. Not only that, but it makes you feel more sluggish and less inclined to want to exercise. The lack of dietary fibre is a big problem for your digestible tract especially the intestines that finish the job and allow waste to leave the body. When there is little or no dietary fibre present in your diet, your colon will suffer and be unable to effectively remove all waste products from the body. This leads to such diseases as Crohn’s, Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) and can lead to colon cancer.

I'm not sure where your chewing gum analogy fits, since I can't think of anyone who uses chewing gum as food, and few people swallow it. But then I don't chew gum so I'll defer to your chewing gum expertise.

Pop,

In regards to white bread & high GI carbs, this means that I shouldn't eat too much of it, not that eating it will kill me, right?

Your next two points have my attention. Can you post any data for the LDL & metabolism claims that I can read up on since I'm not familiar with them other than 2nd or 3rd hand information? The reduced metabolism is what I have heard the most.

The chewing gum statement is quite simple. It doesn't have nutrional value but doesn't cause people to fall over dead left & right. The original argument for no white bread, etc. was that it would cause me to fall over dead. The 1st reason as to why it would cause me to fall over dead was b/c it had no nutrional value. Chewing gum doesn't have nutrional value but doesn't cause me to fall over dead. Therefore, just b/c something doesn't have nutrional value doesn't mean it will cause me to fall over dead. I guess that chewing gum was 'legal' when you were in school. I know that we swallowed a lot of gum to avoid a paddling.
lol.gif

Pop,

Your next two points have my attention. Can you post any data for the LDL & metabolism claims that I can read up on since I'm not familiar with them other than 2nd or 3rd hand information? The reduced metabolism is what I have heard the most.

University of Tel Aviv-Dr. Micheal Shechter lead a study finding that foods with a high glycemic index distended brachial arteries for several hours after being consumed.

The Cancer Council in Victoria, Australia did a white bread study following 36,000 people for 4 years. They wrote "White bread was the food most strongly related to diabetes incidence" in the November 2004 issue of "Diabetes Care". They also linked high-GI food diets to weight gain and diabetes.

University of Sidney evaluated 37 diet studies involving nearly 2 million people worldwide. The results, published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition found significant links between a high GI diet consisting of highly processed foods and a high risk of type 2 diabetes, heart disease, gall stones and some cancer types. It also tended to lower HDL (good) cholesterol and raised triglyceride levels.

White flour has alloxan in it. Alloxan is a poison that, in quanitity, is used to cause lab rats to develop diabetes.

Kelly Brownell/Thomas Farley paper on refined sugars concluded that "Consumption of sugar sweetened beverages that contain added, naturally derived caloric sweeteners such as sucrose (table sugar), high-fructose corn syrup, or fruit-juice concentrates, all have similar metabolic effects" "Adverse physiological and metabolic consequences of a high intake of refined carbohydrates such as sugar include the elevation of triglyceride levels and of blood pressure and the lowering of high-density lipoprotein cholesterol levels, which would be expected to increase the risk of coronary heart disease. Because of the high glycemic load of sugar-sweetened beverages, consumption of these beverages would be expected to increase the risk of diabetes by causing insulin resistance and also through direct effects on pancreatic islet cells. Observational research has shown that consumption of sugar-sweetened beverages, but not of noncalorically sweetened beverages, is associated with markers of insulin resistance.

Even back in 1981 there was a study published in the New England Journal of Medicine that followed a number of patients in the Minneapolis VA hospital. It concluded that when people ate white bread, macaroni, or other products made of white flour they had problems with gas and diarrhea because the white flour couldn't be completely absorbed into the small intestine.

There are a lot of studies backing up the data in the few I've quoted here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back