Fun project: at-home SLA battery restoration.

I picked up this old 385VA UPS from the Habitat ReStore for $1.50 because it had no price tag and the guy at the register thought it was just a power strip. The battery in it was causing a warning light and when I removed it, it read 0.35 volts on my multimeter. I thought for sure it was a goner.
IMG_20230218_180239616.jpg

The battery in it is a strange one with recessed terminals and not available locally. I can get one on eBay but the shipping costs almost as much as the battery and I'm not wanting to pour a ton of money into this until I find the software and verify this UPS actually will work properly.
IMG_20230218_195751407.jpg

I was able to pop the top off the battery and remove the rubber caps on the cells and every single one was bone dry. I got some battery acid from O'Reilly and used one of my old insulin syringes to fill the cells.

Just filling the cells brought the reading up to 9.7 volts across the terminals, and from there I was able to get the UPS to recognize the battery and begin charging it.
IMG_20230219_134219662.jpg

Fun project and learning experience.

I hacked apart a UPS and put a $15 walmart lawn & garden U1 battery on it. Worked great.

Note: One should never ever do this as the car batteries make hydrogen, which can make your computer go ka-boom.

I hacked apart a UPS and put a $15 walmart lawn & garden U1 battery on it. Worked great.

Note: One should never ever do this as the car batteries make hydrogen, which can make your computer go ka-boom.
I have a U1 lawnmower battery in a battery box under my desk to run my CB radio base station

Back