Fun order from Japan - PIAA Twin Power + Magnet Oil Filter

I have been using it on my 2016 FJ Cruiser with very good results, I use pao group IV full synthetic Respol Competicion and change oil at 6000km or eight months with very good results, oil stays cleaner longer.

Thought you did a typo when writing 2016 but now I see Toyota has been producing the FJ up until last year in other markets!

Very cool.

Other than the blind spots, I'm a big fan of it compared to a lot of the new models coming out these days.

Are you sure Respol Competicion is a full synthetic?

Is it this 5W40?

Screen Shot 2023-08-14 at 10.15.13 AM.jpg

Others would know better than me by looking at the data sheet but the pour point doesn't seem to indicate any exotic base oils and another one of our members previously suggested it's group III

Screen Shot 2023-08-14 at 10.18.50 AM.jpg

Also, I learnt on here that clean oil isn't always a good sign as it could mean the oil has less detergents and dispersants.

Either way - I have no doubt your FJ will live a long life under your care. Next door has two of them. Even though they're barely maintained, they're the most reliable vehicles on my street.

oil stays cleaner longer.

Recently came across this interesting analysis on the cost of motor oil:

Part 1- https://jobbersworld.com/2022/09/15/what-the-base-oil-price-decreases-could-mean-for-finished-lube-pricing/
Part 2 - https://jobbersworld.com/2022/09/21/what-the-base-oil-price-decreases-could-mean-for-finished-lube-pricing-part-ii/

The DI (detergent-dispersant package) is one of the most expensive parts even though the volume isn't much so if a manufacturer is looking to save money, that's where they might start.

Consider choosing a new oil if you're paying a premium price. Mobil 1 might be cheaper and perform better for 6000km/8 month oil changes. I also see Ravenol and Amsoil available for good prices on the Philippines online market Lazada.

"although the additives in a passenger car motor oil comprise roughly 12 to 16% of its volume, they account for roughly 30 to 40% of its cost, depending on, viscosity grade, performance level, OEM approvals and other factors."

JWBOADVC9202022.jpg

Last edited:
Thought you did a typo when writing 2016 but now I see Toyota has been producing the FJ up until last year in other markets!

Very cool.

Other than the blind spots, I'm a big fan of it compared to a lot of the new models coming out these days.

Are you sure Respol Competicion is a full synthetic?

Is it this 5W40?

View attachment 172750

Others would know better than me by looking at the data sheet but the pour point doesn't seem to indicate any exotic base oils and another one of our members previously suggested it's group III

View attachment 172751

Also, I learnt on here that clean oil isn't always a good sign as it could mean the oil has less detergents and dispersants.

Either way - I have no doubt your FJ will live a long life under your care. Next door has two of them. Even though they're barely maintained, they're the most reliable vehicles on my street.

I use the Competicion 5W-40 and before that, I used AISIN PAO group IV synthetic but they are hard to source sometimes so I stick to Respol, As for the oil getting dirty, it gets dark when used extensively in dust but combination of the PIAA filter along with snorkel as well as crank case breather filter, so far its been working out good. I retired in the Philippines from NY just to enjoy the life in general as well as the FJ Cruiser that was sold till last year.

I use the Competicion 5W-40 and before that, I used AISIN PAO group IV synthetic but they are hard to source sometimes so I stick to Respol, As for the oil getting dirty, it gets dark when used extensively in dust but combination of the PIAA filter along with snorkel as well as crank case breather filter, so far its been working out good. I retired in the Philippines from NY just to enjoy the life in general as well as the FJ Cruiser that was sold till last year.

Oil filter shouldn't have anything to do with the color of the oil.

If the oil is getting dirty after driving in dusty areas, sending in a sample to a lab like blackstone in the states will help you figure out if silicon levels are abnormal as a properly sealed system is not supposed to have this issue.

Here's the efficiency with the OEM air filter on my Honda HR-V. Your FJ shouldn't be any different so there's got to be something wrong with your air system.

Screen Shot 2023-08-14 at 5.11.52 PM.png

In my opinion, the issue with clear oil is a lack of cleaning ability from the competicion 5w40 which probably concentrates on protection instead of maintenance. The protection of both the oil and oil filter are irrelevant if it's contaminated with dust smaller than what the oil filter can catch. They say the smallest microns make the most damage and I don't think the PIAA filter is catching under 20 microns.

The PIAA filter may look good but in your situation, it might as well be the same as the OEM filter as it's not helping the situation.

Screen Shot 2023-08-14 at 5.42.51 PM.png

Consider shopping online for oil -

Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5W30 is available @ $5.96/litre ($30.99/OCI):
https://www.lazada.com.ph/products/...nthetic-for-gasoline-engine-i2957674752.html?

or if you wanted to stick to x40 grade, shell helix ultra is the same as pennzoil ultra platinum @ $8.80/litre ($45.76/OCI):
https://www.lazada.com.ph/products/...il-gaslinediesel-i2180665073-s9786418719.html

Last edited:

If the oil is getting dirty after driving in dusty areas, sending in a sample to a lab like blackstone in the states will help you figure out if silicon levels are abnormal as a properly sealed system is not supposed to have this issue.

Here's the efficiency with the OEM air filter on my Honda HR-V. Your FJ shouldn't be any different so there's got to be something wrong with your air system.

View attachment 172849

In my opinion, the issue with clear oil is a lack of cleaning ability from the competicion 5w40 which probably concentrates on protection instead of maintenance. The protection of both the oil and oil filter are irrelevant if it's contaminated with dust smaller than what the oil filter can catch. They say the smallest microns make the most damage and I don't think the PIAA filter is catching under 20 microns.

The PIAA filter may look good but in your situation, it might as well be the same as the OEM filter as it's not helping the situation.

View attachment 172858

https://www.lazada.com.ph/products/...nthetic-for-gasoline-engine-i2957674752.html?

or if you wanted to stick to x40 grade, shell helix ultra is the same as pennzoil ultra platinum @ $8.80/litre ($45.76/OCI):
https://www.lazada.com.ph/products/...il-gaslinediesel-i2180665073-s9786418719.html
Under the same circumstances, got the same dark and not dirty color with AISIN PAO group IV synthetic, Respol competicion and Toyoya synthetic which I believe is sourced from Caltex. Dirt in oil is usually from a leaky air box and in this case its a water sealed airbox to be used with the snorkel so I see no other source of dirt.

Last edited:

View attachment 172849

View attachment 172858

https://www.lazada.com.ph/products/shell-helix-ultra-5w-40-fully-synthetic-engine-oil-gaslinediesel-i2180665073-s978641871

https://www.topgear.com.ph/features/feature-articles/piaa-magnetic-oil-filter-a4354-20200814 its 10 and 20 micron dual filtration, far better than OEM when it comes to filtration. In terms of filtration, the TOYOTA OEM score better than most aftermarkets but different in case of PIAA double who by the way also make OEM spec filters.

They say the smallest microns make the most damage and I don't think the PIAA filter is catching under 20 microns.
All oil filters will capture some particles less than 20u, and the more efficient the filter is at 20u, the more particles under 20u it will capture. This is the main reason I like using high efficiency oil filters (99% @ 20u or better). The Fram Ultra was (and probably still is) around 80% @ 5u per Motorking, who worked for Fram at the time he gave that info.

Independent lab ISO 4548-12 test data.

Last edited:
https://www.topgear.com.ph/features/feature-articles/piaa-magnetic-oil-filter-a4354-20200814 its 10 and 20 micron dual filtration, far better than OEM when it comes to filtration. In terms of filtration, the TOYOTA OEM score better than most aftermarkets but different in case of PIAA double who by the way also make OEM spec filters.
It doesn't say what the actual efficiency is at 10u and 20u. A filter could be 20% efficient at 10u and they could still call it a "10u filter".

It doesn't say what the actual efficiency is at 10u and 20u. A filter could be 20% efficient at 10u and they could still call it a "10u filter".
Only a test will reveal that, their claim is better oil flow than regular filters and more effective filtration @150% over conventional.

Last edited:
Only a test will reveal that, their claim is better oil flow than regular filters and more effective filtration @150% over conventional.
Yes, an actual ISO 4548-12 test would need to be done. All their advertising claims are just based on their word with no real numbers for the consumer to back-up their claims - ie, not even any ISO test info showing the efficiency percent at 20u or any other particle size. No flow vs dP at a specified oil viscosity. Really nothing that gives confidence that they are some kind of unicorn oil filter. The built in magnets is a nice touch however.

Under the same circumstances, got the same dark and not dirty color with AISIN PAO group IV synthetic, Respol competicion and Toyoya synthetic which I believe is sourced from Caltex. Dirt in oil is usually from a leaky air box and in this case its a water sealed airbox to be used with the snorkel so I see no other source of dirt.

Blackstone will mail a free test kit to the Philippines if you do want to check if the levels are abnormal
https://www.blackstone-labs.com/products/free-test-kits/
It's $35 for a standard analysis when you mail back a sample

If not, maybe consider double checking it is in fact sealed.

Last edited:
Blackstone will mail a free test kit to the Philippines if you do want to check if the levels are abnormal
A particle count would be more useful, but woudn't have anything to gauge/compare it to.

Filtration efficiency is confidential? I suspect that is code for “not very good” seeing as many manufacturers plaster it all over the box.

The concept and apparent build quality is appealing though.

Filtration efficiency is confidential? I suspect that is code for “not very good” seeing as many manufacturers plaster it all over the box.

The concept and apparent build quality is appealing though.

PIAA isn't the only one who says this. Been told the same thing more than once.

Here's what a different manufacturer said:

IMG_1718.jpeg

Seems like releasing test data is something North American manufacturers do so it does sound like a legitimate cultural difference.

Last edited:
A particle count would be more useful, but woudn't have anything to gauge/compare it to.

It's not ideal but couldn't he just compare it to any particle count on the forum as both the conditions (extra dusty) and oil condition (changes color after driving in dust) should result in abnormal numbers if the air system has an issue? If mileage on the comparison report is different, an average can be calculated.

Example:
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/t...22k-on-xg8a-fram-ultra-particle-count.319815/

We know thescreensavers had a functional air system and was using a fram ultra so royfj's report should be similar if all is well with his air system.
Screen Shot 2023-08-15 at 8.12.42 AM.jpg

That looks cool. I don't know if its necessary, but it's cool. Reminds me a bit of the oil filters (can't remember the name, Eco Green or something?) from a few years ago with the built in bypass filter.

PIAA isn't the only one who says this. Been told the same thing more than once.

Here's what a different manufacturer said:

View attachment 172975

Seems like releasing test data is something North American manufacturers do so it does sound like a legitimate cultural difference.

I believe you are right, but it sure seems odd to me. "We will sell you a filter, but we can't tell you how well it actually filters." Some kind of Japanese marketing law restrictions? I dunno.

Back