Fumoto valve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone here has ever used Fumoto drain valve. It. Makes it so easy to change your oil I just order cuz in the winter gets to cold to change fluid with drain valve I can just pull drain valve and in minutes oil drain. does anyone got one or Any reviews about. Them will be great I just order mines

I have a Fumoto and as far as I'm concerned, it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. No more dropped drain plugs. No more burned fingers. It makes draining oil a simple, no-nonsense task.

Last edited:
Quote:
I have a Fumoto oil extractor and as far as I'm concerned, it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. No more dropped drain plugs. No more burned fingers. It makes draining oil a simple, no-nonsense task.

laugh.gif

I had a bad experience with my fumoto valve on Monday.

a few points:
make sure once done up the tap is oriented so that knocking it or dragging it when driving can't open it. on my camry, the threads are indexed to always have the tap facing forward (the bad way).
don't take your car off road unless a sump guard is protecting your fumoto valve.

Mine opened up while driving over some longer grass. I kid you not. Lost about 2 quarts of oil. I only bothered to check because i thought it a possibility and could smell hot oil when i got out of the car.

I would have been stranded 200 miles from home if I hadn't.

Darn thing is coming off next OCI. wasted $30.

I guess I'll secure mine with wire or something. Now I need to drive carefully over speed bumps, it sticks down. I always have a gallon of oil in trunk, hope it won't be used for that case.

for the bit of trouble saved when doing an OCI, I don't see the risk as worth it, especially given that I've proven it doesn't take much to open it while driving (on my car).

Noticed a lot of roads failing recently with the bit between the wheel track ruts heaving up, threatening your sump and diff...

Fram Sure Drain is better. No risk of leaks described here. Not sure they still sell them though.

We've been using Fumotos for at least twenty years here. On both vehicles and equipment with sumps.

A great product, never leaked or malfunctioned in any way over thousands of uses. NOTHING is better.

But all these devices restrict the flow out of the sump, slowing down the 'flushing' action of a fast full drain. I had buildup on the bottom of a pan in a GMC Savana V-8, and didn't like the phenomenon. So we no longer use them on trucks or cars unless they are similar in flow to the stock drain.

Just an FYI. YMMV

Originally Posted By: zyxelenator
I guess I'll secure mine with wire or something. Now I need to drive carefully over speed bumps, it sticks down. I always have a gallon of oil in trunk, hope it won't be used for that case.

If you're worried, you can use one of these:

http://www.qwikvalve.com/5-8-Safety-Clip.html

I don't think it is necessary on a street driven car, but it's cheap peace of mind.

I've been using them for years on all kinds of cars and have never had a single problem.

Last edited:
The clip isn't very good and hard to use. It takes lots of force to clamp it and not as springy as I'd like. So, I use a twist tie and wrap around the horizontal cut. It really helps keeping the lever in locking position and prevent it from moving up and slide open.

Last edited:
i have been using on my minivan for about 160k miles and not have had a problem. The way the valve sits, the valve handle sits up so the only way this thing could accidentally be opened is if i hit something and sheared off the oil pan as the bolt faces the rear.

Originally Posted By: AccordV6MN
The clip isn't very good and hard to use. It takes lots of force to clamp it and not as springy as I'd like. So, I use a twist tie and wrap around the horizontal cut. It really helps keeping the lever in locking position and prevent it from moving up and slide open.

Good to know. I have never used the clamp and consider it overkill for most people. I have many, many troublefree miles on Fumotos.

I have had a Fumoto for 20 years on a Honda Accord with no problems. Very convenient to use, never lost a drop.

For those worried about accidental opening, do this:

When installing, be sure the lever is on the top or upper position where it couldn't be contacted by a foreign object. It must be indexed like a racer does a spark plug. That means you will probably have to buy just the right thickness crush washer and experiment to get it just right when tightening to the proper torque. Fumoto included one - you might get lucky and it is correct. I wasn't so I bought several in various thicknesses.

Perhaps Fumoto has updated their instructions since I did mine because they did not mention this.

Been using on three vehicles for about four years. No issues. I purchased ones with nipples so I can use a tube and drain directly into an empty five quart jug. Now the only mess I make is with the filter.
laugh.gif

Why don't manufactures design the oil dipstick tube likes the one in MB engines ? The end of the tube is about 1/4-1/2 inches above the bottom of the oil pan, that way you can use a fluid extractor to siphon all oil out.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Why don't manufactures design the oil dipstick tube likes the one in MB engines ? The end of the tube is about 1/4-1/2 inches above the bottom of the oil pan, that way you can use a fluid extractor to siphon all oil out.

I know MB and others use this extraction system. But I wonder................. is it the best way (or the most convenient for a shop?).

What gets left at the bottom of the pan that might have drained out using a conventional method?

Someone at a MB forum tried both methods about 8-10 years ago, he done it both way at two oil changes.

One oil change he done extractor first then removed the drain plug, next oil change he done the plug first then did extractor.

There was no oil came out from the drain plug after he done siphoning with his Mityvac. On the second trial, he got few ounces with his Mityvac after he done with the drain plug.

MB dealers use a strong vacuum machine and use the dipstick tube as suction tube, the tube bottoms at the lowest point of the oil pan.

Before I do oil change I check the oil level to see how oil in the sump, the Mityvac always get out at least that much. The capacity of the E430 is 8.5 quarts at max level, if it was 2-3 mm below max then there was only about 8 quarts at time of oil change. The Mityvac got around 8 quarts. I tried this once few years ago, I didn't fill up the sump after siphoned the old oil at night, I siphoned again the next morning and got around 2-3 oz. It was so little so I didn't do it again, and I afraid that I may forget the next day and drive off without oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back