Full Synthetic or Synthetic Blend ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
For several years I had been using full synthetic oil in my cars.

I change oil and filter every 5,000 miles.
I now own a 2012 Suburban with 50K miles and a 2015 Equinox with 1K miles.

The last couple of changes in the Suburban I switched to QS Synthetic Blend.

Since I change oil every 5K miles I was thinking perhaps using full synthetic is overkill and just staying with synthetic blend all the time.

Full or synthetic blend ???

You are thinking right IMO. You were way under utilizing a full syn at that interval and probably would be doing the same with a blend although less so. Save the 5 bucks.

Honestly a good dino like PYB or VWB should be fine at 5k intervals unless you have severe use patterns.

I figure that if a Dexos approved Synthetic Blend is good enough for a brand new Corvette, then it is definitely good enough for anything that I drive...

On the flipside what are you trying to save?
If the full syn is same cost as the blend why not get the full syn.

I dont think anyone here is going to say the blend is better on any aspect but cost

If the syn-blend saves you a few bucks, then go for it. Pennzoil Gold is 50% synthetic, and only cost $1.50 more for a five quart jug at Walmart than the five quart jug of PYB. It should easily be able to go 5k miles for you.

But if the syn-blend is the same price, or actually more expensive than the full synthetic, then go with the full synthetic.

...and before anyone jumps on me questioning why the full synthetic would be cheaper than the semi-synthetic, simply put sales are better on full synthetics. Look at the current Mobile 1 rebates, it takes $12 off five quarts of M1 bring the price below 5 quarts of some conventional oils.

Originally Posted By: fins
Since I change oil every 5K miles I was thinking perhaps using full synthetic is overkill and just staying with synthetic blend all the time.

I change my full synthetic oil at about 3700 miles.
I'd go further if it stayed cleaner, but it don't.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Syn oil for that Equinox. Unless GM has fixed the fuel dilution, I wouldn't run a blend in that engine.

That comment makes little to no sense.

Originally Posted By: sicko
If the syn-blend saves you a few bucks, then go for it. Pennzoil Gold is 50% synthetic, and only cost $1.50 more for a five quart jug at Walmart than the five quart jug of PYB. It should easily be able to go 5k miles for you.

But if the syn-blend is the same price, or actually more expensive than the full synthetic, then go with the full synthetic.

...and before anyone jumps on me questioning why the full synthetic would be cheaper than the semi-synthetic, simply put sales are better on full synthetics. Look at the current Mobile 1 rebates, it takes $12 off five quarts of M1 bring the price below 5 quarts of some conventional oils.

This...

I run the Pennzoil blend and my 2011-5.3 Silverado runs the smoothest on it vs. Full Synthetic.

Last edited:
Interesting post here.. I've been thinking about this lately as well. I've used synthetics for a long time since 2001. Given I do change the oil every four to five thousand miles so it does not make sense to run them. Pennzoil synthetic blend is only a dollar fifty more for a five quart container at Walmart versus PYB. Though I just bought PYB for 2.99 a quart.
But yeah, I think the Pennzoil synthetic blend is a good buy and quality product. So I may well run this and see what I think. Hard to turn down a good sale on full synthetics though
smile.gif

Semi, you will be fine with oil changes at 5000 miles up to 7000.
Like others mentioned here as well, even a quality conventional and like another mentioned, a semi is also a DEXOS approved for his Vette.
What many dont realize that there are some good properties in conventional oil that get refined out when converted to full syn. There are conventional oils that will reduce wear better then SOME synthetics. But we are all marketed to believe synthetic is the holy grail.
All I am saying, is a quality oil in any formulation is good. Now if your one that chooses to do extended oil changes, yes, the syn will be more stable.

I use regular, syn blend, synthetic on my 2006 Camry v6. I don't feel any different. My car is 391,000 miles. I am running Mobil super 5000, and it run smooth. 5k oci.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back