Full synthetic instead of blend high mileage

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Ford Focus 2.0L (4 cylinder Zetec engine, 5-speed manual) which is overdue for an oil change. In the past, I've gone with a synthetic blend 5W20 motor oil as that is what is recommended by Ford. But the car now has passed that magical 75,000 mile barrier, and it is considered "high mileage." Conventional wisdom would say that since high mileage cars may leak, to go with a higher viscosity oil. But I also want to reduce any more wear and tear that is already on the engine. As of now, the car does not have any leaks of any sort, but I know that if I go with a full synthetic, leaks may appear.

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

Wouldn't worry about leaks till they happen. Just pulled a 2.0 out of the Transit that had 179k. No leaks in it. My Xterra has 105 and changed to full synthetic at 94k and 0 issues.

75000 is high mileage according to marketing departments. I'll get flamed for this, but no oil is going to make an engine last longer, except for maybe in the case of severe operating conditions. If your engine isn't leaking or burning, keep doing what you're doing. Also, synthetics don't cause leaks. Worn seals cause leaks.

At 75k, I'd worry about other things on the car; transmission fluid, tires, brakes, belt(s), spark plugs, etc...

Last edited:
When I lived in SoCal I ran a Full synthetic rated 5W or 10w-40 (ignoring the 5w-20 label on the oil pan)

The temperature rarely drops below 50 degrees, but gets to 120 in the desert. I preferred the extra cushioning of a thick oil, especially when the engine temp gauge started rising towards H.

I wouldn't see a need to change unless it started consuming or leaking. I'd keep running the 5w-20 blend all the way until the engine expires!

My 207000 mile engine is 16 years old and gets synthetic (not high mileage) in the recommended grade.

Originally Posted By: datsago
But I also want to reduce any more wear and tear that is already on the engine.

This would require overhauling the unit.

I believe the OP wishes to minimize future wear the best economical way. I went synthetic to keep my rides last a bit longer and maybe get some better mileage. The mileage is usually pretty readily aparent, the engines wear and tear not so easy.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bioburner
I believe the OP wishes to minimize future wear the best economical way.

Keep the vehicle the maintained and don't abuse it. He already said it's overdue for an oil change. Go figure.

As you can see in my signature, 221k miles on my Camry, running full synthetic. I switched it over to synthetic at 205k miles.

No leaks.

No leaks or issues, then no need for a HM oil.

But HM oils are fine for general use, so it's also no problem to use one.

Changing to a full synthetic should also not cause any leaks or problems.

Most oils work well in most cars, it's not a big issue. This forum is for splitting hairs, more as a hobby, than a need.

Me ? Valvoline red bottle MaxLife 5W30 HM semi-synthetic with the Dexos1 spec. Why? Just because it's affordable and well respected, plus I like a thicker oil. Also consider Castrol Magnatec 5W20 (full syn) or Castrol Magnatec 5W30 (semi-syn). Both the CM are Dexos1 (but not HM). I think Dexos is a good oil standard, for more than just GM cars.

If you want a full synthetic, apart from the CM 5W20 above, or the full syn version of MaxLife, there is always the ever popular M1 5W20 or 5W30. Also the GTL Pennzoil Plat is an excellent choice too.

Or just keep doing what you are doing. Nothing wrong with that.

I have used just about every combination of Full Synthetic, Semi Synthetic, Conventional, and High Mileage. In the wife's Focus it has about 90K miles. It is clean on the inside of the engine and it does consume a bit when using 5W20 not a big issue because it almost always consumed 20 grades a bit.

Enough rambling use what you can buy for the least amount of $.

Just use a high mileage synthetic and call it good,or go half like pennzoil hm and half pennzoil synthetic hm. High mileage oil is more favoured towards negligence than anything else.

I drive a 2010 Chrysler Sebring that just hit 143,000 miles and I still run regular Platinum 5w20. I run 6000-6500 between oil changes and only lose about a half to two thirds quart during that time. No reason to change oils if you aren't having any leak issues.

L8R,
Matt

Just continue with the oil you are using. If it ain't broke don't fix it. No need for HM oil.

No need to use an HM oil or stop leak additive unless your motor has oil leaks that are beyong economic repair.
With an older engine it's worth moving up one SAE group when the oil consumption starts to increase, as that is a good guide to how worn the block is.

There is nothing wrong with changing to a major brand full synthetic unless you have oil leaks. Even then the only issue will be a temporary increase in the drip rates due to the false oil seal effect where the higher level of detergents can dissolve the sludge or varnish that helps some worn oil seals or bad gaskets function.
My own oil consumption dropped after changing from Mobil 10w40 to Liqui Moly Synthoil High Tech 5w40 and has stayed the same at half a liter per 15K km when using Shell Ultra 5w40 (All Acea A3/B4).

I think 75K is just a marketing number. I have about 155K of hard use towing and off road on my V8 4Runner using 0w-30 synthetic oil and it does not burn enough between 10K oil changes to measure on the dipstick. I'm sure it burns some but evidently not very much. There are no leaks and I consider this engine just nicely broken in and ready for a long life. As I understand the Toyota 2UZ FE 4.7 V8 engine is a very good engine. I have no plans to ever sell this 4Runner. The idea that 75K is high mileage does not sound reasonable.

Originally Posted By: datsago
I have a Ford Focus 2.0L (4 cylinder Zetec engine, 5-speed manual) which is overdue for an oil change. In the past, I've gone with a synthetic blend 5W20 motor oil as that is what is recommended by Ford. But the car now has passed that magical 75,000 mile barrier, and it is considered "high mileage." Conventional wisdom would say that since high mileage cars may leak, to go with a higher viscosity oil. But I also want to reduce any more wear and tear that is already on the engine. As of now, the car does not have any leaks of any sort, but I know that if I go with a full synthetic, leaks may appear.

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

Hi there, datsago! Have you considered trying Pennzoil Synthetics in your Focus? We are currently running our Pennzoil Used Oil Analysis Program this year, and we'd love for you to participate. Through this study, you'll receive a sample of Pennzoil Synthetics to be tested in your vehicle along with complimentary and unbiased lab results from Blackstone. If you're interested in participating, please send us a private message for more details. Looking forward to your response! - Gena & The Pennzoil Team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back