Full Synthetic Brake Fluid?

DR1

I would guess to say that the majority of people on this website use synthetic lubricants in most areas through out their vehicle/vehicles.

The question is also always asked from time to time "who makes the best full synthetic motor oil"?

How in the world can anyone tell who makes the best full synthetic brake fluid?

I know I try to use what is recognized as being the best or one of the best synthetic lubricants in my engine,transmission,rear differential,power steering,etc.

So does anyone consider a full synthetic brake fluid brand as being #1 ?

#1 is subjective, as there is racing brake fluid with a higher boiling point but it needs to be changed annually, if not every race.

All brake fluid is synthetic, BTW, so it's a meaningless marketing term.

All brake fluid is synthetic.

That said, some fluids will have higher claimed boiling points.... and usually comes in a metal can. I tend to gravitate towards those for the motorcycle. Everything else gets O'Reilly brand brake fluid.

How high is up?
ALL brake fluid is synthetic
DOT 5.1 has the highest boiling point but absorbs more water and should be changed more often
DOT 5 is silicone and totally different

Everyone claims Amsoil as the King of all full synthetic lubricants and I see that they offer brake fluid.

Bosch ES 16 is a really good brake fluid. Check it out. And it is made by Bosch which is the company that designed and builds most ABS systems. Amazon carries it, and is a good place to buy it at a price that is about 1/2 of what some other places want for it.

Bosch ES 16 is a really good brake fluid. Check it out. And it is made by Bosch which is the company that designed and builds most ABS systems. Amazon carries it, and is a good place to buy it at a price that is about 1/2 of what some other places want for it.
How much would your friends spend on brake fluid, to get the best? The best brake fluids are somewhat pricey, and are intended for racing. Motul 600, Castrol React, Ravenol Racing. But most of us don't need to sort of temperature performance that these brake fluids meet.

For most people out there, the Prestone DOT 4 will perform just fine. But for those of us that like an occasional spirited drive, tow, or drive in mountain conditions, and for those of us that just like to use a better product in our cars, there are better choices.

I would recommend either ATS Typ 200 or Bosch ES1632N. They both have significantly better temperature performance than the entry level offerings at a reasonable price. The ATS used to be my first choice. But when the Bosch brake fluid was introduced, it has very similar performance to Typ 200, and is a few dollars less. It's also a little easier to find.

The Bosch would be my recommendation if my friends were looking for advice on which brake fluid to use.

If I were to get my entire braking system replace all 4 pads,4 rotors,4 calipers,etc would I need to remove all the current brake fluid and put in brand new brake fluid?

If I were to get my entire braking system replace all 4 pads,4 rotors,4 calipers,etc would I need to remove all the current brake fluid and put in brand new brake fluid?
If I were replacing all 4 calipers, I'd want fresh fluid through the entire system. Pretty easy to do at that point, as you'll need to do quite a bit of bleeding (bench bleeding, too, maybe) to get air out of the system with new calipers. Use a suction device like Mityvac to remove the old fluid from the master cylinder first, fill with fresh fluid, and then proceed. It may be best to get it to the point where you have fresh fluid all the way out to the calipers first, that way you aren't sucking or pushing old fluid through your new calipers.

Dot 5.1 is probably overkill. I'd probably go with a Dot 4 fluid and go with one with the highest boiling point. There's several flavors of Dot 4, I think Pentosin Dot 4 or ATE Dot 4 have higher boiling points than regular Dot 4 fluids. For a reasonably priced Dot 4 fluid, there's always Walmart's Supertech Dot 4 in the 32 oz bottle.

Bosch ES15-32N in everything. Extra mental comfort in the motorcycle, MB, and, admittedly, overkill in the others.
Plus it says I can extend to three year flushes vice 2 year flushes.

Bosch ESI6-32N​

Bosch ES15-32N in everything. Extra mental comfort in the motorcycle, MB, and, admittedly, overkill in the others.
Plus it says I can extend to three year flushes vice 2 year flushes.

Bosch ESI6-32N​

Well there's also ATE Typ 200. A 388 wet boiling temp vs 360 for the Bosch. Same deal with 3 years. A bit more than Bosch though.

Back