Fuel Tank Air Filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is this part? Is it sensitive to over filling the fuel tank? How does it wear out?

Thanks guys

I suspect this question is regarding a Hyundai or KIA. They list a fuel tank air filter as a serviceable part on many vehicles. I don't remember how often, but I seem to think every 40,000 miles or so. I do not recall seeing this part mentioned for other manufacturers, but it may be used on some other cars.

I've been told (by a service manager at a dealer) that you can hold off on replacing it since it won't harm anything. You might get a check engine light if you let it go too long. The part is not expensive. It should only wear out when it is clogged like any other air filter. Over filling the tank seems like it would damage the canister long before the tank air filter based on most of the diagrams.

The fuel tank air filter connects to the charcoal vapor canister. The only purpose I can think is to extend the life of the more expensive and more difficult to service canister from outside contaminants, but I could be wrong. There is not a lot of information available about this part.

If this is in fact for a Kia or Hyundai, check http://www.kiatechinfo.com or http://www.hmaservice.com for diagrams and replacement instructions.

Yeah, its for a couple of Kias and maybe another Hyundai. According to the manuals its due ever 15-30K miles depending on service schedule you choose.

My question is geared to determining why it would need serviced.

Yes, I'm thinking it's simply another name for the "charcoal canister"....Kia and Hyundai just chose to rename it :p

Makes more sense really, since that's kind of what it is, it filters the "gas" vapor so you don't get gas vapors leaking out of your tank.....the "charcoal" media filters the vapors
smile.gif

And yes, I heard over-filling the tank (say, hitting the pump once or twice after it shuts off automatically...) is the biggest killer of the charcoal canister - once it gets wet, it's defeating it's purpose.

Originally Posted By: ahoier
Yes, I'm thinking it's simply another name for the "charcoal canister"....Kia and Hyundai just chose to rename it :p

It's a separate part with separate servicing instructions listed in the manual. It is not a replacement for the canister.

I know for sure this is a Hyundai thing. My 2008 Santa Fe specs it. Some 'enterprising' dealer service departments will push this service, some will give you the glassy-eyed stare at the very mention. It's just a tiny filter canister plugged into a vacuum line for the EVAP system and probably a very lucrative service procedure for a dealer. I would ignore it unless you were getting EVAP system related codes (which I've not heard of with Hyundais).

Per the hmaservice website, here's a simple block diagram of the EVAP system on my 2008 Santa Fe's 2.7L:

bekg001s.gif

Joel

Last edited:
It's likely just a simple foam filter. It's there to prevent dirty air from entering the system during normal tank pressure equalization and canister purging. I've never changed one ever! For years these canister vents didn't even have any type of filter, only since they started hiding them under the vehicle did they become "necessary"
Don't loose sleep over it.

Originally Posted By: JTK
some will give you the glassy-eyed stare at the very mention.
Joel

Don't take it personally, that's their natural expression.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back