Fuel System cleaner and oil analysis?

Going out on a limb but I think any FI cleaner may lower fuel dilution but adding it just before an oil change wouldn't necessarily help the uoa immediately following application.

Going out on a limb but I think any FI cleaner may lower fuel dilution but adding it just before an oil change wouldn't necessarily help the uoa immediately following application.
Help (or hurt) in what way? What is the cleaner going to do to the oil that would make it show up at all in a UOA? Most fuel additives/cleaners come in a 10 ounce bottle which equates to 7.8% of a gallon and if added to 10 gallons it is less than 1% of the make-up of the fuel. I typically add it when I fill up so it is going into a 20 gallon tank which makes it about 0.39% of the total tank. At that level of dilution, I would question what if anything it is going to do to the oil in the amount of time that it is in the tank.

Help (or hurt) in what way? What is the cleaner going to do to the oil that would make it show up at all in a UOA? Most fuel additives/cleaners come in a 10 ounce bottle which equates to 7.8% of a gallon and if added to 10 gallons it is less than 1% of the make-up of the fuel. I typically add it when I fill up so it is going into a 20 gallon tank which makes it about 0.39% of the total tank. At that level of dilution, I would question what if anything it is going to do to the oil in the amount of time that it is in the tank.
The fuel injector cleaner would correct the spray pattern to fully atomize the fuel and burn cleaner reducing fuel dilution. Like I said it wouldn't do anything for a uoa taken right after applying but may decrease fuel dilution in future samples.
The FI cleaner itself won't show in the uoa but may affect future uoa fuel dilution levels

I guess the best thing is to send in your sample exactly the way you ran the engine before adding a fuel system cleaner. Also, no top ups during the oci if at all possible.

The fuel injector cleaner would correct the spray pattern to fully atomize the fuel and burn cleaner reducing fuel dilution.
yes exactly this.
some di engines can dilute oil very much. mostly in winter time. indirect injection will almost not dilute oil.
anyway, fuel cleaners are ashless type, so not sure what you want to look for in the oil analysis.:unsure:

our local additive maker invested lots of money and resources to testing, results are even better than shell premium fuels.. ;)
the shock when you realize a normal gasoline can dirt the engine so quick.
if i understand correctly, this has pea+piba type additives. (blue fluid with fish smell)
quite concentrated, even compared to some world name producers.
it seems, using additives once a year is not enough, in meantime a thick crud can grow from using virgin fuel.
which an additive used once a year, can have hard time removing it..

I've used a Fuel system cleaner in my Toyota since it was about 3 years old. Because about that time the Stealership wanted to clean my injectors $140. I run it about once a year $12 or less. The car still have very good MPG and performance for a 1.8. Every time I take it to the dealer not often now they want to do an injector clean. You think they would be asking this just to steal from me? 😡
NOT really steal, the injectors do need cleaning the filter in the injector needs to be cleaned, if you can observe LTFT, and STFT, then you can monitor how much extra fuel is being added due to possible dirty injectors.

Did a quick search and couldn't find an answer. Doing an oil change on my 19 Renegade with the 1.3L turbo within the next few hundred miles and planning on sending an oil analysis in to Blackstone. Will using Techron or Redline fuel system cleaner mess with the oil analysis? Got about 13k miles on it (5k on the oil, Mobil 1 AFE 0w30).

Thanks!
I just declined an apparent upsale fuel system cleaning for. Y 60k maintenance. I always use top tier. I said. “Just do the plugs rotate my tires and check my breaks. “

Because over the years this topic comes up from time to time and respected members suggested adding FI cleaner a tank or two before changing your oil. That pretty much guarantees it won't skew a UOA. I added a bottle of FI cleaner to my van last week that I found cleaning up my garage. It was a Valvoline product and on the bottle it said add to the gas before changing the oil. I found that interesting, and it backs up what I've been doing for a very long time.
Yes, I know what you're saying but wouldn't you think that it would be more apt to show up the closer you are adding it to sample time?

Yes, I know what you're saying but wouldn't you think that it would be more apt to show up the closer you are adding it to sample time?
Maybe, but wouldn't it be better not to have the residual effects [if any] of it in the oil for as short a time as possible? In doing it my way at the end of the OCI it does its cleaning, anything that goes into the oil is drained with the oil a tank or two later.

Last edited:
Maybe, but wouldn't it be better not to have the residual effects [if any] of it in the oil for as short a time as possible? In doing it my way at the end of the OCI it does its cleaning, anything that goes into the oil is drained with the oil a tank or two later.
:)

I've used a Fuel system cleaner in my Toyota since it was about 3 years old. Because about that time the Stealership wanted to clean my injectors $140. I run it about once a year $12 or less. The car still have very good MPG and performance for a 1.8. Every time I take it to the dealer not often now they want to do an injector clean. You think they would be asking this just to steal from me? 😡
Yes, I think they would. I ran some injector cleaner that I've had in my garage for years through one of my cars a couple months ago. It was the time in years I'd ran a cleaner. I use the cheapest gas available and never have any fuel mileage/fuel system delivery problems

Back