fuel system additive dosage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tom, I think you're reading into it too much. I think the concentration in the bottle is designed to treat up to a certain volume and will allow for as much cleaning as possible without damage to the components. So, should you add a bottle every tankfull? Probably not....but, I think every 3k is about right (from what I see on most bottles) or at every oil change.

actually i should simplify the question;
is fuel system cleaner more effective when added to a full tank (i.e. 10 gallons) or when added to less than a tank (i.e. 4 gallons).
or another way
is it more effective in a lower concentration over a longer period of time (i.e. 350 miles)or more more effective concentrated for a shorter period of time (i.e. 75 miles)

I'm no chemist but more or less is not better in these fuel additive chemistries. I know that once the Fuel Power has cleaned up a engine when used as directed you can back off the recommended dosage and enjoy the improved fuel combustion efficency it affords. I use recorded MPG values to fine tune that for my own cars. I know Odis Beaver was running 1/2 to 1/4 ounce per 5 gallons fuel in heavier diesel buses and recording improved MPG values.

To answer your question tom , use as directed, and IMO the longer mileage,longer time used, lower concentration is optimum.

I PM'd you Rando. Odis is not a site supporter YET. So we can't post that info publicly. I wish someone would take on the marketing of this product on this site. Odis is a great guy but he needs marketing help.

quote:

Originally posted by tom slick:
actually i should simplify the question;
is fuel system cleaner more effective when added to a full tank (i.e. 10 gallons) or when added to less than a tank (i.e. 4 gallons).
or another way
is it more effective in a lower concentration over a longer period of time (i.e. 350 miles)or more more effective concentrated for a shorter period of time (i.e. 75 miles)

When Techron says to mix one bottle with "up to 12 gallons" of gasoline, I interpret that to mean that mixing it with less than 12 gallons is ok. So how much less? I went with about half a tank. It just stands to reason that the more you dilute it, the less effect it will have.

it is commonly recommended that when using an additive (such as techron) that you add the entire bottle it to a 1/4 tank. the thought is that the higher concentration helps to clean better.
most every bottle of fuel additive recommends on the label that you add it to a full tank, or add it right before you fill up. i know that is a safety issue, the manuf. wouldn't want it to cause damage, but is there another reason? could it be that these cleaners are more effective over time with a smaller dosage? meaning are they are more effective when they are used over the time of a full tank as opposed to a short amount of time in a concentrated amount?

tom slick, optimally you want to add the fuel treat just prior to filling the tank so that you get a good mixing of the chemistry with the fuel.

You must use for extended period of time to get full effect of cleaning, i.e. if a product cleans everthing out in one treat its strong enough to keep going and clean off coatings, seal materials, ,etc.

quote:

It just stands to reason that the more you dilute it, the less effect it will have.

but what if for the best effect it is the duration of time the parts are in contact with the cleaner at the bottle's recommended concentration to give it plenty of time to work.

for instance (although i know it's a different additive) when using auto-rx you don't dump 2 bottles in the oil then drive 200 miles and drain it. you put one bottle in, then drive 1000 miles because you need to give the additive time to do it's work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back