Fuel Pump/Top Tier Fuels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Blokey
Originally Posted By: Jaymus
... because 'Top Tier' is a company, not a type of fuel.

54.gif

Yes, it's a company when talking in terms of 'Top Tier' gasoline like in here. Google will save a lot of trouble. They have their own website. It's a good scheme. Then you get to officially say your gas it 'Top Tier' instead of the real meaning of top tier. [censored] word games and advertising.

Top Tier is not a company, it is a certification for different fuels. It was developed in partner with some big names like GM and Honda. They have a series of tests to check engine cleanliness and deposit control. Any fuel company can become top tier by submitting their fuels for testing and paying the related fees.
I know in the Gm literature they say top tier is not required but should be considered an assurance of the quality of fuel you are getting.
That said, in the area I live we have no options for top tier, the only fuel brands in my area are Mobil, Sunoco, and various no name store brand fuel. If top tier were available in my area I would use it any chance I could.

Wow. Nit picky sob's. Yeah, it's a designation given to gas companies depending on additives and whatnot.

I'm just saying, when used in this sense, it is more than just the two words top and tier. It's a certification, that I'm sure someone is making money off of, that your fuels meet the standards of Top Tier Detergent Gasoline's standards (notice the capitalization). Then you get to be on their list.

Of the manufacturers who made the list (BMW, General Motors, Honda, Toyota, Volkswagen and Audi), two of them have asked for a government bailout. GM and Toyota. Does that make this list look better or worse? It casts a little doubt in my eyes.

Then you have BP saying they assure us that they do exceed the Top Tier Detergent Gasoline standards in all grades of their gasoline. Not to mention, Ford recommends BP gasoline. So, it can't be that bad, eh? Maybe they already have a deal with Ford, and can't be on the TTDG list.

Originally Posted By: Jaymus

Of the manufacturers who made the list (BMW, General Motors, Honda, Toyota, Volkswagen and Audi), two of them have asked for a government bailout. GM and Toyota. Does that make this list look better or worse? It casts a little doubt in my eyes.

Makes no difference.

Especially when Top Tier has been around for years, even when these companies were doing well.

If BP is so great, they should put their money where their mouth is and pony up for the Top Tier certification.
Not saying its bad fuel, but come on, I think the oil companies are the only ones in this country making a profit right now.

It kind of burns me that we have none of the Top Tier fuels available in WNY...

Sunoco comes closest, but only listed as "Sunoco of Canada"...

Sunoco and Mobil are the two main "big" oil companies in New York state...

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
It kind of burns me that we have none of the Top Tier fuels available in WNY...

Sunoco comes closest, but only listed as "Sunoco of Canada"...

Sunoco and Mobil are the two main "big" oil companies in New York state...

I'm from Watertown, same deal up here.
Mobil, Sunoco, and a dozen store brands, some of which, I don't know if can scientifically be called gasoline!

all i can say is, i get a mile per gallon more with a top tier fuel i keep track of my mpg and have tracked with this truck for 20,000 miles.

i have tried it summer and winter and the results are always the same.

I suppose Api ratings are horse whooie to sell products as well?
Its pretty much the same idea, except for gas.
But if people want to remain in a state or ignorance, nothing I say will change your mind.

Originally Posted By: cronk
I suppose Api ratings are horse whooie to sell products as well?
Its pretty much the same idea, except for gas.
But if people want to remain in a state or ignorance, nothing I say will change your mind.

I second everything you've just said. Well done. Top Tier is an open standard. There is no mystery as to what it requires to meet the specification.

I like having standards like Top Tier provides. I just wonder why it has not been publicized more. Outside of places like this forum, I doubt whether 2 people out of a hundred could tell you what Top Tier is. Until that changes there will be little incentive for more companies to adopt the standard.

http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html

When "Turkey Hill Minit Markets" can afford and be certified for Top Tier, I would never put BP or Mobil gas into my cars unless I am in a desert, with fuel light on, and they are the only gas station within 30 miles.

I have no interest in arguing whether BP or Mobil may or may not exceed Top Tier quality, and if so, why they do not get certified.

Originally Posted By: SilverGGA

When "Turkey Hill Minit Markets" can afford and be certified for Top Tier, I would never put BP or Mobil gas into my cars unless I am in a desert, with fuel light on, and they are the only gas station within 30 miles.

I have no interest in arguing whether BP or Mobil may or may not exceed Top Tier quality, and if so, why they do not get certified.

Haha, Turkey hill, I have them near me. They are a very small outfit.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ted s
another marketing pile of horse whooie to sell a product.

I don't know how it is at all marketing as I've never actually seen any advertisements on it. Actually, in my area as I have previously mentioned, Mobil and Sunoco are the big dogs and I suspect this is the case for you too. Both Mobil (for their Premium, 93-Octane gas) and Sunoco (on all their lines) used to have signs bragging about how they had a higher level of detergency than their competition at their local stations. I haven't seen any of this for a while...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: frank83

I live in the heart of Turkey Hill country. I'm actually right across the Susquehanna River from their headquarters. The website says they have over 240 locations but what I didn't know until now was that the convenience store division is actually owned by the Kroger grocery store chain. It said they own 5 convenience store chains all across the country. I would assume they use the same top tier designation at all of them.

Not such a small outfit after all.

Depends on who you compare them to. I bet they are pretty small compared to Mobil or BP...

Originally Posted By: Canawler
Originally Posted By: frank83

I live in the heart of Turkey Hill country. I'm actually right across the Susquehanna River from their headquarters. The website says they have over 240 locations but what I didn't know until now was that the convenience store division is actually owned by the Kroger grocery store chain. It said they own 5 convenience store chains all across the country. I would assume they use the same top tier designation at all of them.

Not such a small outfit after all.

For over 16 years, Amoco fuels have been rated #1 in quality by a national survey of drivers in America. In 2006, the survey was conducted by The NPD Group, Inc.

Does that mean anything? Not really. Does being Top-Tier mean anything? Yeah, it means it's good, but there are gas stations that aren't Top-Tier that are just as good or better. I choose my gas by what gives me the best power and best mileage, and that happens to be BP w/ Invigorate (93 octane).

I am also going to get in contact with Amoco/BP and see what's up with the Top-Tier list.

BTW, 'Top-Tier' mandates that to meet their specifications, the gasoline must have no less than 8% and no more than 10% ethanol. Maybe Amoco/BP and Exxon/Mobil prefer to use less than 8%. Fine with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back