Fuel Hose or Tygon?

Planning to replace a fuel hose on a motorcycle and looking for a 1/4" size, is tygon any better than 'black' hose? Looking for anything cheap and which can get the job done.

Thank you
thumbsup2.gif

tygon fuel line is good, its very flexible though.. might be too flexible for your application?

I replaced the transmission sight(level) line and fuel lines on my deere 316 with it.

"anything cheap and get the job done" means just use automotive fuel line..cut it off the roll at the parts store.

tygon and other synthetic fuel line will last longer and stay flexible.

The black rubber fuel line you can get at auto parts stores like NAPA are much more likely to shed a very small piece of rubber that is too big to get past the needle valve and cause the needle valve to stick open. Tygon will not do that. McMaster-Carr has a big assortment of Tygon tubing with different id.

If you are going to use cheap black rubber fuel tubing it would be a good idea to place a fuel filter before the carburetor and then use only Tygon after the fuel filter.

Originally Posted by maverickfhs
Where do you buy Tygon from locally or online?
thumbsup2.gif

Online or by phone, McMaster-Carr. You can check out there online catalog. They do have a very big paper catalog, but you have to be a fairly big regular customer before they will give you one, and they do not sell them. Sometimes you can find a McMaster-Carr catalog for sale on e-bay. Usually the ones you find on e-bay are older versions. The most recent version ones will go for a significantly higher price. Only huge customers of McMaster-Carr get more than one catalog and then sell some of the recent ones. When McMaster-Carr sends out new versions of the catalog the older versions go on sale on e-bay. You really do not need to get a paper catalog, everything they sell is on their web-site, but the paper catalog is organized into sections and sometimes that makes finding stuff easier if you have one. There is nothing wrong with buying one of their catalogs that is only one version older than the most recent, and those ones cost much less.

McMaster-Carr is one of the biggest customers of UPS, and as as such they have a very special arrangement with UPS. They get super cheap rates that they pass on to their customers, and along with the very low rates they get super fast service. Place the order before noon eastern standard time, and you can expect the item to appear at your location the next day more than 90 % of the time. They are very fast about filling orders, and the low cost fast service of UPS is almost unbelievable.

The variety of products that McMaster-Carr sells is huge. You can find just about anything related to any kind of hardware and many other items on their site. Need a special bearing, they probably have it, need a special bolt, or drill bit, or tool they probably have it.

BTW, there are different types of Tygon tubing. If you read the McMaster-Carr catalog they will tell you which one is suitable for use with gasoline. Be sure the type you get is rated for gasoline.

Last edited:
The F-4040-A is the nice, flexible, fuel version.
There's a CARB-compliant LP1100 version that is pretty stiff. Has a hard outer layer for low-permeation.

Originally Posted by maverickfhs
The variety of products that McMaster-Carr sells is huge. You can find just about anything related to any kind of hardware and many other items on their site. Need a special bearing, they probably have it, need a special bolt, or drill bit, or tool they probably have it.
And there's nothing like them worldwide. As an engineer I've relied on them for decades and hope they remain viable in the future.

I have to admit that I've used Tygon in the lab for years, but never would have thought of putting any kind of solvent through it.

In fact, a trick I've often used is to soak it in hexane to soften it to fit over a tough hose barb or something like that.

It's definitely good stuff(and you want the real Tygon brand stuff as the off-brand duplicates are often stiff) but it would have never occurred to me to use it as a fuel line.

Back