98 leaves quick connect fuel hose sizes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all!I'm planning on replacing 3 fuel his s,98 buick lesabre. Got them from dealer other day. Send hose is bigger,connects too fuel filter.return and evap appear the same sizes. I want too use a quick disconnect tool..what sizes are the hoses,all 3, ir,which size took do I need?looks like I'll need 2 sizes.
Fuel sender lines,look rusted. I'm Gun na be careful,....p!an on rep!acting the sender ,too of fuel tank myself,spring.

Last edited:
Thanks!sending arms,are 20 years old,rusted..think. I will be ok?hoping they don't snap off...don't think so..

https://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result/index/?dir=asc&order=EAScore%2Cf%2CEAFeatured+Weight%2Cf%2CSale+Rank%2Cf&q=fuel+disconnect

Well,stopped at AutoZone today.bought a metal scissor looking one,one side 5/16,other side,3/8.they fit the line perfect but......the actual part that connects,is thicker,and half a connect . Connectors,have 2 plastic edges,you squeeze, then lol the hose off the line...2 hoses,have thicker connector ends,and a plastic button you press in,square shaped,not 2 edges on side.a white plastic square,the connect arms,are inside the connector ends. Disconnect tool dosn t fit over that,and don't have thinks it's necessary. To be out tomorrow if it works!

The clips like @mattwithcats posted do not require tools. Remove by squeezing the outer tabs together and pull out.

You've said you have R&R fuel filter before so I don't understand the confusion here.

Got it!I have been under the car,jacked up.for hours,I've been trying too squeeze the tabs,thie r is not enough clearance,for my fingers,at all.moved around on my backordered positions.I tried too wrap fuel tape wrk nd line connector.it's impossible,no clearance. The only thing I can do,is fuel tank..part removal.2 bolts where tank strap is, can I loosen just those 2 boost? Let exhaust pipe hold tank? Only way I can get my fingers in thier...without removing entire tank. Leak is below d,as I pushed send line up shutter onto fuel line.

Last edited:
I also discovered today,the leak,is coming,from the quick connect too fuel sender line. I cannot tell,if it's the white clip?or maybe the metal line is cracked,inside connector? Is their an o ring in them?

There is an o-ring but the problem is rust on the metal. You've got this, keep at it. Be cautious if you drop the fuel tank; there may be a path for fuel to spill that is part of your leak.

Sending units do rust out often.

Rust can be a big problem on removing fuel lines if tubes are steel and not stainless or plastic and also alot of GM cars have a plate over top of fuel pump to access fuel pump and lines. it fuel filter connection is real rusty and threads on rear try to unscrew it and not fight quick connect and anti seeze threaded end and fluid film all quick connections.

Autozone,800-913.but in o ring assortment..is that hat it? I have an o ring assortment,few years old,I bought,black o rings.have 3/8 and 5/16, use those?
The lines,are on top the tank.I looked in trunk,their is technicaly,an access for top of tanj,but....it's welder shut.used a large screwdriver too try n let at it.the access was on 2000 and later lesabres.my tank is quarter full only.planes in loosening the 2 tank bokts,so tank sits on exhaust pipe,all I need is 1/2 inch or 75% of an inch more room,too squeeze tabs.25 degrees dry air outside,4 hours,of trying too squeeze my hands,fingers inbetween tank,hose,wrapping fuel repair taoe,which didntwork,,for nothing.but,pushing the hose up,stopped the small leaj.vibrations,driving,are causing o ring,libe,or both,too leak.it slides down,apparently,the connector ,or I don't shot.push it up,leak stops.fuel was coming,from where the tab on connector is.watched it,with engine on.

I bought 3 kibes,buick dealer.they don't have o rings in them.but the send linee,is designed a little different..no tab,but theirs a white square,outside of conbector,and inside,clamp type plastic arms,connected too that square.press the white square,the arms slightly open.re designed?

I have an o ring out i bought few years ago,has the 5/16 and 3/8 size,and others.but their black o rings.not brown,ect.could I use those? I plan on loosening tank strap bolkts,with quarter a tank of gas only.plus,it's closed up,as the lines,are on top of tank, and part of a housing in tank,the lock ring locks the lines too too of tan..no spilling.
It really sucks,theirs no easy access.trunk,has the access area,but..its. welded over.tried a big screwdriver,didn't work.the access,was for 2000 and later lesabres.

You would have been done days ago using high pressure hose. I replaced all three lines on my 97 Lesabre in two hours, less if car is on a lift and for about $75 dollars..

Last edited:
So you could cut your trunk (without throwing sparks) or remove your exhaust from its hangars so you can shove it sideways to get the tank down. Be careful with the exhaust as a lot of weight hanging on the front flex pipe or cat flanges can break them when they're already tired from 20 years of life.

It will be easier to drop the tank the less gas it has in it. And 1/4 full is still a lot of gas-- each gallon weighs 6 pounds. Disconnect one of the supply lines and rig a hose to a gas can then jump the fuel pump relay to pump it out.

Never ever replace a Viton fuel line o-ring with a standard Nitrile o-ring.

You have to use viton (Fluorocarbon) o-rings in the fuel line connectors. You can buy quality replacement viton o-rings at most auto parts stores and they will be black. Just because the replacement viton o-rings are black don't confuse them with standard Nitrile o-rings that are also black.

Go to any auto parts web site and look up Fuel Line O-ring Kit for your car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back