Fuel Filters. Are they really necessary?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: daman
Obviously some manufactures think regular paper type filtration for fuel systems isn't necessary, i cant see running one with out it,wow call me crazy.

i would be modifying BITOG style.

as soon as i discovered that on my 01 rx (was the same way) i thought,what are they trying to prove by doing away with a serviceable filter ? ah well,what ever.

I alway tickle the ignition with the fuel filter out, just in case there's some dirt in the backwash. I want to give the new filter a good start.

I don't waste the gas. It goes in the lawnmower.

Fuel does need to be filtered. Cut one from any car open and it will have a bit of fine rust colored dust with the consistency of talcum powder.

Never have run into an actual clogged fuel filter in the shop, at least any filter clogged enough to cause a driveability problem.

A far as blowing through the filter to determine whether it's clogged, it will always be hard to blow through if the filter element is wet regardless of how much crud is in it.

Originally Posted By: punisher
Fuel does need to be filtered. Cut one from any car open and it will have a bit of fine rust colored dust with the consistency of talcum powder.

Never have run into an actual clogged fuel filter in the shop, at least any filter clogged enough to cause a driveability problem.

A far as blowing through the filter to determine whether it's clogged, it will always be hard to blow through if the filter element is wet regardless of how much crud is in it.

Well you can run no filter on your stuff,not me, you would [censored] if you seen the stuff i have in filters.

So does this mean that if someone were to do the "old fashioned" sugar in the gas tank it would have no affect because the filter would keep the sugar grains from reaching the combustion chamber to caramelize and cause damage?

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Most definitely they are needed. On diesels they can cause all sorts of issues if they are not changed.

EXPENSIVE issues.

Originally Posted By: daman
Most definitely they are needed. On diesels they can cause all sorts of issues if they are not changed.

EXPENSIVE issues.

We have one in now, a 6.0 thats getting 8 injectors due to never changing the filter, putting gas in instead of diesel ended it though lol.

We have one in now, a 6.0 thats getting 8 injectors due to never changing the filter, putting gas in instead of diesel ended it though lol.

Doh!!!

my 96 sunfire fuel filter got plugged and my car wouldn't start. I got 160K miles and 13 yrs out of it.

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
my 96 sunfire fuel filter got plugged and my car wouldn't start.

Didn't think to change it before that? a little preventative maintenance?

that's another thing that could take out a FP,try blowing through a hose that's mostly plugged by your finger it's hard to do and that makes it hard and stresses the pump and can burn it out, over heat when ran low on gas in the tank.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
When your fuel pump fails you change it.

LOL, that was the maintenance schedule I was on prior to that fuel pump failing. This was in my pre-BITOG days when I was more than a bit lax about doing maintenance. You can bet I change the fuel filter on a yearly basis now. I just wish our one Toyota vehicle had a serviceable fuel filter.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
Every time I change a fuel filter, I blow through it to see just how clogged it really was. I always find significant restriction when compared with the new filter.

I do the same thing too. I always find there is more restriction than the new filter.. sometimes a LOT more.

But I wonder.. how much more does wet, fuel saturated media restrict air flow than a dry filter? Some blame for that restriction we find, I will assume, could be placed on the wet media. But the other reallly plugged filters I've found...surely had to be dirt/gunk.

In my never ending quest to burn something big until it's not recognizable I wonder about splicing a generic filter in the return line.

-- It should not have much pressure, just dumping in the tank, so a generic barb setup should work.

-- if it plugs up, it'll still make the fuel pump work harder, but the pressure at the injectors will go UP, so the car will still run, albeit rich.

-- yeah if you get some junk it might hit the injectors the first time around, but under normal cruise I bet 90-95% of gas gets recirculated. Bet the filter will still fill with junk.

I'm just musing, not suggesting anyone try this.

Originally Posted By: Marukai
Does gas from the pump contain dirt, sand, and other debris? Why do cars come with fuel filters? I would think that the gasoline at the pumps would be clean since the crude oil goes through a lot of steps to get to gasoline?

Fuel filters clog. That proves you wrong, if nothing else does.

Dirt in fuel isn't left over from refining, its from transportation and distribution. When the fuel tank truck fills up at the depot, any dirt in the fuel connectors gets put into the fuel in the truck. When the truck gets to your gas station, any dirt in the connector in the ground drops into the tank when the delivery driver opens it. Dust and dirt blows into his fuelling hoses when he's driving the truck down the road. Water and dirt get into the gas stations underground tanks through the venting system.

There are a thousand other places where dirt and grime get into fuel before you put it into your tank (not to mention WHILE you're putting it in your tank).

If they were necessary the manufacturer would have put one on your car. I personally have never changed the fuel filters on any of my Honda's that didnt have a service interval for the filter. I put over 250,000 miles on them too- no issues.

Originally Posted By: Jeepster_nut
If they were necessary the manufacturer would have put one on your car. I personally have never changed the fuel filters on any of my Honda's that didnt have a service interval for the filter. I put over 250,000 miles on them too- no issues.

Evidently many manufacturers feel fuel filters are necessary. I change the fuel filter in my '99 Mercury every 15,000 miles, even though the owners manual says its good to 30,000 miles. I've had fuel filters clog so badly on other vehicles that my top speed was gradually being limited slower and slower, eventually to the point the engine couldn't even get enough fuel to idle. I don't think I'd want to own a vehicle without a changeable fuel filter. I'd seriously wonder how much concern that manufacturer had for engine longevity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back