Fuel Filters. Are they really necessary?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does gas from the pump contain dirt, sand, and other debris? Why do cars come with fuel filters? I would think that the gasoline at the pumps would be clean since the crude oil goes through a lot of steps to get to gasoline?

The orifices in a fuel injector are tiny so all it would take is one grain of sand to do major plugging.

Many Japanese vehicles consider fuel filters a "lifetime" part so they don't put them in accessible places.

You would be surprised.

In my 1988 Mercury COugar, enough dirt got past the screen on the in-tank pump to grind up and sieze the gerotor.

In general, though, I think the biggest risk is wearing out injectors.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
The orifices in a fuel injector are tiny so all it would take is one grain of sand to do major plugging.

Many Japanese vehicles consider fuel filters a "lifetime" part so they don't put them in accessible places.

My Subaru has a "Non serviceable" fuel filter. If it's for the life of the car, I would think that at some point it would get clogged, unless gasoline is clean to begin with.

dont trust the gas tanks at stations to be clean, they are supposed to be cleaned periodically and monitored for water, your gas filter is the final line of defence including stuff from your own tank.
The filter on our Malibu and G6 is "nonseviceable"

"Lifetime" fuel filter?

Remember that the car company defines what "lifetime" actually means. That might not mean more than 10 years as defined by them.

I doubt that there won't be after market suppliers that can supply you with a new filter for those cars.

It only takes one bad tank of gas to destroy/clog a filter .

My Lexus also has the non servicable fuel filter. It does say in the manual that it can be changed but only by a qualified technician.

It's a delicate balance. On the one hand, making it inaccessible means you or a Jiffy Lube won't go round changing something that normally wouldn't need to be changed. So that's good. In the rare event it needs to be changed, then you pay extra for someone who knows what they are doing to do the work.

On the other hand, what if you have had particles filtered and your performance is suffering but you don't know? My guess is that they've thought of that already by having some sort of fuel pressure sensor that would tell you when there is a problem.

I think for the vast majority of owners, this is probably the best option. For those who want to know more about whether their car is performing optimally, it would be nice if they could expose all this data in a user friendly way eg my Lexus has a screen, I can get into the diagnostic menu, but it would be good to see some sort of history of actual readings of everything it can measure vs the original spec.

Five years ago, one of our vehicles picked up a dirty tank of gas somewhere. The fuel filter plugged to the point that the fuel pump failed under the strain ($400..grrr). After the new fuel pump was installed, I changed the filter every six months until the filter media stopped turning black and silty (four separate filters). After all of this, the car developed a hard starting problem caused by the small amount of this gunk bypassing the filter and gumming up the injectors, requiring the injectors to be taken off the car to be manually cleaned.

Yes, I believe fuel filters are necessary.

I've also heard some say that the fuel filters don't need to be changed unless contamination is suspected. That's a little too subjective for me. I stick with the manufacturers recommendation.

Every time I change a fuel filter, I blow through it to see just how clogged it really was. I always find significant restriction when compared with the new filter.

A fuel filter is absolutely necessary with modern fuel injectors.
They are made quite large for long life without flow restriction.

Originally Posted By: jimvegas
My wife's 1998 Metro has no servicable filter.

I serviced a 98 Suszuki Swift for a while. Same car. The books say it does have a fuel filter... along the frame rail under the passenger cabin. I was never able to find it though.

I also agree they are necessary and are typically oversized to allow for long life without need for service. Most of them can actually be changed, but you have to drop the fuel tank. It may not be a paper media filter at all, but a very fine screen that can be cleaned out and reinstalled.

A filter won't do anything to help you with a tank of bad gas, as in fuel contaminated with diesel, etc. All it will do in that case is provide one more item that needs to be replaced in the fuel system. It's mostly just there to pick up any small particulate matter that may slough off the fuel tank from long term deposits, filler nozzles, tiny particles from pump wear, etc.

At 150,000 miles I changed out the fuel filter on my Taurus. It had been done around 60,000 miles, but I was feeling like I should do it.

When I pulled it and drained it the thing was full of sand and junk.
I was astonished. The filter was the size of my fist, and it seemed like it was almost totally loaded with junk. All that junk came from the gas stations!
I got a NAPA GOLD filter that fit the application to replace the old filter.

YES, YOU NEED A FUEL FILTER!
And you need to replace them regularly if you can.

Most major brand gas stations use a 5u filter in their pumps. I've seen our Texaco change them about once a month. However: I change my filter at the recommended intervals and am amazed at the crude that back flushing produces. The filter is also good if small amounts of water gets into the gas as some types of media swell up and will stop gas flow before major damage is don't to injectors .

Originally Posted By: Kestas
Every time I change a fuel filter, I blow through it to see just how clogged it really was. I always find significant restriction when compared with the new filter.

Correct!,i do that too, so whats that tell us? blockage hello.

Originally Posted By: daman

great,i have that stupid for life screen or something in mine.(like the op mentioned with his lexus)

Originally Posted By: lexus114
Originally Posted By: daman

great,i have that stupid for life screen or something in mine.(like the op mentioned with his lexus)

Obviously some manufactures think regular paper type filtration for fuel systems isn't necessary, i cant see running one with out it,wow call me crazy.

i would be modifying BITOG style.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back