Fuel Additive Chemistry and effectiveness??

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are two mainstream fule addititves/cleaners out there. One is solvent naphtha, aslo called stoddard solvent, that is used in most carb/injector and combustion chamber cleaners such as Seafoam, MMO, Gumout, STP, etc.

Seemingly the more active or effective solvent is polyether amine in "stronger" full fuel system and combustion chamber cleaners highly concentrated in additives such as Gumout Regane, CRC Marine Fule System Cleaner and Stabilizer, STP Complete Fuel System Treatment.

many people in the marine industry swear by Seafoam, but all it is is really jet fuel with 10% solvent Naphtha.

can some enlighten me on the effectiveness of solvent naphtha and polyether amine as fuels system and combustion chamber cleaners??

Napths solvent types IMHO are no better than gasoline and at most only clean when allowed to puddle and soak in.
Polyether amines WILL react with acid sludge and residue to dosperse it.
bruce

That's what I thought, well they have the ability to clean up slight varnish and such, but I doubt they actively affect carbon deposits.

Neutra smells like cresylic acid...great for cleaning cooked-on carbon off the steam tubes in heavy fuel oil heaters.

N-Butyl Alcohol & cresylic acid are the active ingredients in Neutra 131.

Ken

Quote:

bruce

so what would the harm be of adding 12oz of Techron to your OIL?
confused.gif

Have some Sunoco with Xylene,Ethylbenzene and isopropyl alcohol

Also some Blaster with CAS Number: 64742-54-Hydrotreated heavy paraffinic distillate and CAS Number: 64742-52-5Hydrotreated Naphthenic

Appear to be standard BigLot "bargain" additives....

Quote:

Quote:

bruce

so what would the harm be of adding 12oz of Techron to your OIL?
confused.gif

I would be worried for 2 reasons,

1. It is VERY thin. Its not made for your oil.
2. There has been discussion of PEA leading to increased wear of softmetals(bearings) if it makes its way into the oil. This was in the setting that it made its way there by combustion blowby. Dumping it directly INTO the oil if the theory of increase wear is correct, could be a very bad idea.

Most likely, it would flash off pretty quick. It would likely delivery similar results as dumping in B12, Seafoam, or a flush product in the oil. I am of the opinion that if sludge has built up over miles, it should be removed like that as well. I just don't like the idea of pieces of gunk flying loose suddenly. Its all too easy to plug an oil passage.

i agree...but dumped in 32 oz of MMO (over time, as a top off) and 12oz Seafoam...changing to MaxLife tomorrow.

WAS going to drop the pan and check it out, but i have a new pan in the mail and will be here next week...but can't wait until then for the oil change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back