Gumout - Which Persona are You?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wwillson

Staff member
Gumout Performance Additives would like to thank you for the great interaction you had with us in our prior forum sessions.

This time, we’d like to get your feedback on a particular topic. In an effort to help consumers decide on the right Gumout product for their vehicles, we’ve developed a series of consumer “personas” that tie back to particular Gumout products.

We’re aware that these personas are not all encompassing, but we think that they cover a vast majority of individuals. We feel confident that after answering three simple questions, most consumers will feel comfortable in making a Gumout product purchase after seeing the persona that they’ve been led to and the products recommended for it.

We’re including below a decision tree with the three questions so you can see the paths to each persona, along with a write-up of each persona in full, including the suggested Gumout products for each of them.

We’re interested in learning three things from you regarding this project:
1. What persona do you fall under based on decision tree
2. Do you feel the persona you were led to is appropriate for you?
3. Do you have any suggestions or ideas of things we may want to consider changing in our persona descriptions or
decision tree paths?

As always, thank you for your valuable input and ideas!

The Gumout Decision Tree

The Four Gumout Persona’s

The Gearhead Driver
For the driver who expects the most out of their vehicles and will do everything in their power to get it. They only use premium gas and oil and are very cautious about what they put in their engine/fuel tank – paying more isn’t an issue if the benefits are justified. They’re constantly in the garage tinkering with their vehicles and making improvements to make sure they squeeze every bit of performance out of their engine.

Recommended Products:

1st: Gumout All-In-One Complete Fuel System Cleaner + Ethanol Treatment
2nd: Gumout One N Done Complete Fuel System Cleaner
3rd: Gumout Regane Complete Fuel System Cleaner

The Everyday Driver For drivers who see their vehicle as a tool to get them from point A to point B. They may top off their windshield washer fluid or their tires on occasion, but defer to mechanics for just about everything else. Their car is running well and they want it to keep running well for the foreseeable future. They take care of their vehicles not from a performance aspect, but because they need it to get to and from work, pick up groceries and run other errands for their family.

Recommended Products:

1st: Gumout Regane Complete Fuel System Cleaner
2nd: Gumout Multi-System Tune Up
3rd: Gumout One N Done Complete Fuel System Cleaner

The End is Near Driver For drivers who own a car that's been around for a few years. They’ve been through a lot with their vehicle, and they want to keep it running longer and stronger. They take care of the vehicle because major repairs may be more than the car is worth. They want to make sure their old, faithful vehicle continues to maintain its performance until the day they say their final goodbyes.

Recommended Products:

1st: Gumout High Mileage Regane
2nd: Gumout High Mileage Fuel Injector Cleaner
3rd: Gumout Fuel System Treatment

The Jack-of-All-Trades Driver For drivers who are looking for one product to use on all their engines including the entire family’s vehicles, riding lawnmowers, ATVs, boats, etc. These drivers have vehicles and small engines that they will soon have to put away for months at a time, but when it comes time to fire them back up, they want them in pristine condition.

Recommended Products:

1st: Gumout Multi-System Tune-Up
2nd: Gumout All-In-One Complete Fuel System Cleaner + Ethanol Treatment
3rd: Gumout Fuel System Treatment

Quote:
Edit: Gumout has answered some questions that were asked later in this thread:

Q: Regane complete vs all in one? What’s the difference? It seems complicated to me and I don’t consider myself the average consumer, I can’t imagine the avg consumer. If you look at Chevron, you have fuel injector cleaner and fuel system cleaner. It’s pretty easy to decipher. Give us a pro option with maximum potency!!
A: All in One: Treats more gallons than Regane 35 vs 21, has a friction modifier that helps reduce wear and increase horsepower and fuel economy, has more ethanol fighting additives than Regane (this is due to having more product in the bottle to do it, but just leave the copy as is because it could confuse him even more). We don’t want to have a “me too” product that is similar to Chevron. We want to offer better formulations and more options.

Q: Is there a Regane product aimed at carbs and wet manifolds?
A: For carbs, we have Gumout Jet Spray Aerosol Carb & Choke spray that will clean the carb inside and out. The whole line of pour-in products works well with carbureted vehicles to clean up the jets, intake manifold and intake ports. The Regane line with PEA is also good for cleaning the engine wherever gasoline flows or sprays. In addition, the PEA formulas are excellent for the hotter areas of the intake port and the combustion chamber.
If the vehicle is stored for long periods of time the fuel should be treated with Gumout Multi-System Tune-Up at about an ounce per gallon to prevent corrosion and fuel oxidation. This will stabilize the fuel both in the gas can and in the engine for easier starts. It also helps prevent damage due to ethanol and water since it can help remove condensation from the fuel tank.
The wet manifold is at the other end of the engine. It is used on marine engines to cool the exhaust. This is not an area we cover with our products.

Last edited:
Gumout is great stuff, I love their High Mileage Regane treatment with PEA.
I tend to fall closer to the "End is Nigh" driver profile.
happy2.gif

Im not sure that just because i take care of other small engines that i want a one size fits all solution. I might want the best for each specific application. (This would also generate more revenue for gumout). Also, even though my car has over 75k miles wont mean that i consider it high mileage and I still might be the everyday driver, not sure why this isnt an option if i go to the left side of the diagram.

I dont think it clearly clarifies the differences between your product set. I think having it go like this makes more sense. Separate products by naturally aspirated and direct injection (since needs would differ) and focus products to better focus on the areas that DI struggles with. Or range products as good, better and best. And keep the HM line separate. Create a line focused on small engines based on their needs. Regane complete vs all in one? Whats the difference? It seems complicated to me and i dont consider myself the average consumer, i cant imagine the avg consumer. If you look at Chevron, you have fuel injector cleaner and fuel system cleaner. Its pretty easy to decipher. Give us a pro option with maximum potency!!
smile.gif

Last edited:
I got the end is near and I agree with the description and matches me well. Only thing I disagree with is that 75k miles is high mileage :p

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
happy2.gif

Same here. While I don't think that 75,000 miles is a lot, their high mileage product is a good one and can be pretty cost effective up here. Most of our Walmarts don't carry any Regane products, but the ones that do carry only the HM one, and cheaper than the regular Regane at other stores, so it's a pretty easy choice.

The decision tree might be oversimplifying things, but I'm sure it can be helpful to make a more casual customer arrive at a simpler decision.

Maybe dispense with the flowchart and just tell us which product contains the highest concentration of PEA.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
happy2.gif

Same here. While I don't think that 75,000 miles is a lot, their high mileage product is a good one and can be pretty cost effective up here. Most of our Walmarts don't carry any Regane products, but the ones that do carry only the HM one, and cheaper than the regular Regane at other stores, so it's a pretty easy choice.

The decision tree might be oversimplifying things, but I'm sure it can be helpful to make a more casual customer arrive at a simpler decision.
High mileage has a 1000 opinions in people's minds. To many of my old road friends had 300k to 800k miles on their cargo vans,,chevy, ford and so on...

I don't fit into any one of their categories, but then I don't use their products either. Neither of us will cry ourselves to sleep over it though.

Claud.

I'm mostly a "Buy a bunch of Regane when O'Reilly had it on clearance" Driver.

The end is near! But compression is good and oil use is immeasurable, plus there isn't a spot of rust on the chassis or body.

Is there a Regane product aimed at carbs and wet manifolds?

I believe that a machine is only as good as the maintenance it receives.

I toss in a bottle of injector cleaner containing PEA annually because I've learned here that PEA works.
I have no proof.

The 4 classifications read like store display copy. I found the routing questions highly simplistic.

Hmmm..the chart puts me in "The End is Near" bin rather than "The Gearhead" bin simply because the sled has more than 75,000 miles! Interesting that. I tend to fall into the later as I do all repairs, maintainence, upkeep, washing, interior, etc.

I've long thought of Gunout's product choices as 'confusing' due to the lack of boundaries and information. I simplified by only buying their products labeled as REGANE.

I use it about once every 5000 mi.

I guess according to Gumout I'm an "The End is Near Driver". LOL In the Regane family of Fuel System Cleaners I'm a High Mileage user because I like the PEA level, benefits and dosing. I'd use it over the standard CFC whether I reached 75k miles or not though.

Most of my driving is commuting on a fairly long and relaxed route with some long trips thrown in.
We have a number of vehicles with various years and miles in use.
That said, I run a high PEA cleaner before each oil change if I remember to do so.
I've used plenty of Gumout Regane.
I don't think that anyone slots neatly into the categories presented.

I don't fit any of these 4 simplified categories. I fall somewhere between Jack Of All Trades and Gearhead. We don't put much OPE away for long oeriods in my climate except the chainsaw, and I look for best value in what I buy, not just the perception of "this is the most expensive so it must be the best product".

I run Gumout All In One twice a year in our vehicles and dose our OPE fuel cans with the same. I used to use Techron before Chevron got so limiting with approved retailers on their rebates and wouldn't honor rebates on BOGO sales. I bought a bottle of Once & Done with rebate at AZ; it'll be months before I try it in a vehicle but I'm close to needing to refill my 4 cycle OPE fuel cans.

Well, it says I'm a "The End is Near" driver. Based on the details they provide, it makes sense - I almost always buy my cars used, and I tend to keep them WAAY past 100,000 miles. Heck, my current DD is just about to hit 235,000 miles.

I do take issue with their 'cutoff' for "high-mileage" vehicles being only 75,000 miles. IMHO, any vehicle less than 10-12 years old doesn't really become "high-mileage" until at least 100,000 nowadays.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back