Fuchs Titan Pro S (Ester) 5w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok, but you're mandatory to use LL04 spec because you have DPF on your X5, on my 535i I think it is not important if I use LL01 instead LL04.
I've ever read that high sulfured oils are better for the engine if they have between 1.0 and 1.5% of Sulfated Ash.
If someone can confirm that...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kaiser
ok, but you're mandatory to use LL04 spec because you have DPF on your X5, on my 535i I think it is not important if I use LL01 instead LL04.
I've ever read that high sulfured oils are better for the engine if they have between 1.0 and 1.5% of Sulfated Ash.
If someone can confirm that...

Yes, sorry I forgot you drive 535i.
You can use M1 0W40 that is available in Europe since that is old VISOM version. Here in the U.S. M1 0W40 FS does not meet LL-01 anymore.
However, I used M1 0W40 that you can get in my VW Tiguan, my previous car, VW CC 2.0T, Passat B5.5 1.8T and found that Castrol 0W40 behaves much btter. Engine is smoother and has better cold start. You will not make mistake with M1, but if I had 535i, I would go with Castrol 0W40 FST.

ok, with the Castrol 0w40 FST Titanium the flashpoint is very low, it's a problem for me even the Fuchs Titan 5w30 has a better flashpoint (230°C)
There is a detailed PDS of the Mobil1 0w40 ? (not the ESP version)
I have these data but the Noack is not mentioned

The flashpoint and TBN are very good

ok, with the Castrol 0w40 FST Titanium the flashpoint is very low, it's a problem for me even the Fuchs Titan 5w30 has a better flashpoint (230°C)
There is a detailed PDS of the Mobil1 0w40 ? (not the ESP version)
I have these data but the Noack is not mentioned

The flashpoint and TBN are very good

Castrol is using ASTM D93 method to determine flashpoint.
Also I did several used oil analysis on Mobil1. While Mobil1 has very good TBN, retention rate is not good. But you will not have that problem in EU considering sulfur level there (ULSG).
However, in EU you do not ahve to worry about stuff we worry here. Burn is different in EU, gas is better, you can drive much faster and worry less about carbon build up. If you go with Castrol 0W40 you will be fine, if you go with M1 you will be fine. Take into consideration that Castrol is also "true" synthetic (PAO based) and Mobil1 that is available in Germany is HC based. In the end final product matters, but you will be fine with both.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: edyvw

Also I did several used oil analysis on Mobil1. While Mobil1 has very good TBN, retention rate is not good. But you will not have that problem in EU considering sulfur level there (ULSG).
However, in EU you do not ahve to worry about stuff we worry here. Burn is different in EU, gas is better, you can drive much faster and worry less about carbon build up. If you go with Castrol 0W40 you will be fine, if you go with M1 you will be fine. Take into consideration that Castrol is also "true" synthetic (PAO based) and Mobil1 that is available in Germany is HC based. In the end final product matters, but you will be fine with both.

What does it mean ?

What does it mean ?

I think that is where the difference is bcs. Castrol 0W40 with Titanium that I am using has flashpoint of 230c.
I am not sure what is real difference, but I would say that could be a reason.
Also, take into consideration that that Castrol meets BMW LL-01, which what really matters in your case. For example, M1 0W40 FS that is now available in the U.S. has flashpoint of 230 (I think) but does not meet LL-01.

I think that is where the difference is bcs. Castrol 0W40 with Titanium that I am using has flashpoint of 230c.
Also, take into consideration that that Castrol meets BMW LL-01, which what really matters in your case. For example, M1 0W40 FS that is now available in the U.S. has flashpoint of 230 (I think) but does not meet LL-01.

That you are using ? So there are several type of Castrol 0w40?

In Germany the Castrol 0w40 meets BMW LL01 but I noticed that in Netherland and Österreich Castrol 0w40 meets BMW LL04

That you are using ? So there are several type of Castrol 0w40?

In Germany the Castrol 0w40 meets BMW LL01 but I noticed that in Netherland and Österreich Castrol 0w40 meets BMW LL04

Yes, there are several version, or there have been. We are using Castrol made in Germany, 13.5cst and HTHS of 3.7cp.
I know in EU you have 0W30 LL-04 did not see 0W40.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: bobbydavro
What is flashpoint relevant to ?

Your oil bursting into flames.

Actually thats the auto ignition temperature
crazy.gif

Originally Posted By: bobbydavro
Actually thats the auto ignition temperature
crazy.gif

Sorry, yes all on its own of course.

Oil vapors in the presence of an ignition source then. I just remember doing those tests in a fuels & lubricants class in college and waiting for the pop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back