Front wheel bearing grease for my 96 Ram CTD

JHZR2

Staff member
Want to do the front wheel bearings.

On my MB cars, which have the same packable bearing setup, I use MB green grease. It’s weighed out very specifically.

Dodge doesn’t give such specifics.

I have M1 grease, but that gets runny in grease guns.

Tractor supply has a crimson, cerulean, and cobalt grease as I recall. The cobalt grease looks interesting, though I’m not sure it says it’s suitable for disc brake wheel bearings. It was tested to d942.

This is a heavy truck, and is loaded heavily.

What would you use?

I do have schaeffers greases, but they’re high moly, for suspensions.

Id be interested in knowing if what I use for the wheel bearings would also be suitable for the driveshaft u joints...

I always just get the grease that is specified for wheel bearings usually Valvoline or Pennzoil grease is what I use and what I have used in the past with no issues so I would not hesitate to use that again.

The cerulean is a good grease for wheel bearings I've used it before without any issues and it's been my go to for a while.

The cobalt is also a good grease and should work fine it's GC rated and has a plenty high dropping point never used it in a bearing before personally but it's on my list to try next time.

I wouldn't use the crimson. It has a low dropping point and is really only suitable for use as a chassis lube.

All three are excellent chassis lubes as well and would work without issue in a u joint.

Valvoline makes a grease just for you're wheel bearings.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210211-190307.jpg
    Screenshot_20210211-190307.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 37
I’ve used Pennzoil grease without separation. I’ve had it for a few years hasn’t started to break down or anything it’s just a standard red grease for brakes and wheel bearings. The Valvoline in the blue or red tub too is good I was looking at it last night at Auto Zone they had a high moly grey grease too but I don’t think that is what you are looking for.

You can use the MB green stuff for your Ram. I think it’s Fuchs Renolit EP 2.

My rule of thumb for wheel bearing grease is that it meets or exceeds GC-LB, has no moly and a high drop point. I’m using Chevron Delo ESI EP #2 in a friend’s explorer. Chevron says it exceeds GC-LB but is officially certified for LB and it’s Mercedes approved.

You can use the MB green stuff for your Ram. I think it’s Fuchs Renolit EP 2.

My rule of thumb for wheel bearing grease is that it meets or exceeds GC-LB, has no moly and a high drop point. I’m using Chevron Delo ESI EP #2 in a friend’s explorer. Chevron says it exceeds GC-LB but is officially certified for LB and it’s Mercedes approved.

Getting more tubes of MB green grease has passed through my mind... as has getting thst ESI EP2 grease. What held me back on the delo stuff is thst it is very viscous, look at the KV at 40/100, compared to the renolit or the 219 or anything else.

ESI is 261/21.5
Renolit is 170/14
219 is 142/14.6

Back