Friends experience with Royal Purple so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sid

So I'd like to think what everyone thinks of this. My buddy has always been a believer in using Mobil1 Synthetic Motor Oil and Mobil1 Oil Filter. Used it in his 1995 Camaro Z28 for years (and boy did he take care of that thing). He now owns a 1997 Buick Riviera with the L67 engine (Supercharged 3.8). Well right after he bought the Buick Riviera he started using Mobil1 5W-30 Synthetic oil and Mobil1 filter. As of recently he would hear a whining noise coming from his belt area somewhere whenever he first started the car. It would go away for a couple of weeks after a fresh oil change and then would come back. And I've always noticed that with the Mobil1 Synthetic he would lose a lot of oil over 6 months/5-7000 miles. He has a very slow leak and I'm sure the Supercharger puts added stress on the oil. When oil change time came his car would pour 3 quarts out of the pan if he was lucky. Well a few months back he switched to Royal Purple 5W-30 and a FRAM Extraguard after much suggesting by me and to his surprise the noise at startup has not come back for months and the car still has 4.5 quarts on the dipstick. He says the car feels the same though.

I wonder if it's the oil or the filter or both that did the trick. I'm trying to convince him to try AMSOIL to see what happens but he just doesn't like the idea of using AMSOIL for some reason.

I'm NOT knocking Mobil1 in anyways and I'm not a fan of Fram oil filters. I've used Mobil1 and I have no complaints. So please don't get defensive.

Tell him he needs to check his Supercharger oil. It is seperate and needs to be topped off with special oil available at the dealer.

We sunctioned out all of his supercharger oil and replaced it with the appropriate GM Supercharger Oil about 30K miles ago. Should still be good to go. Weird thing with that was his supercharger whine got a lot louder when we did that. Functioned fine though. We called a GM Dealership that we trust and always go to and they said they don't even change the oil. Just top off when and if it's ever low.

That sound could also be the supercharger coupler inside starting to get sloppy. They do have a aftermarket one that is made better than the stocker( For the people that put smaller pullies on, people like me
tongue.gif
). Have a look at that possibly.

I'd sure like to know how a Fram Extraguard cured his start-up noise since it has nothing in it but false hope.
lol.gif

Also like you know what filter you discarded for the Fram. I'll bet it was made south of our border.

quote:

I'd sure like to know how a Fram Extraguard cured his start-up noise since it has nothing in it but false hope.

Also like you know what filter you discarded for the Fram. I'll bet it was made south of our border.

Does it matter where the Mobil1 filter was made? And if it was south of the border? Is FRAM really that bad? We weren't hoping the FRAM would do anything it was just the other option that was left that he liked. What exactly are you stating in your post?

Fram = Paper ends on the paper filter media, which allows unfiltered oil to seep past the filter material.

Their Anti Drain Back Valves are also teh suck from what I've read. Don't bother with Fram. Stock AC-Delco filters are of much better quality.

"From what I've read" in the previous post, it would seem Malaclypse has no experience with Fram oil filters.

Care to offer any more advice on things you don't know about, Malaclypse?

Parroting things you read is not credible - especially when it constitutes spreading dubious rumors.

^^ To let you know, I've seen several cutaways of Fram's basic oil filter (orange canister with black grip-tape base) and the ends of the filter media were capped with paper. This filter also included an ADBV composed of stamped aluminum and a small rubber gasket at the bottom of the canister. Not to mention five holes for oil return to the engine block compared to the typical 6 holes offered by AC-Delco filters.

The only reason I tossed in the "as I've read" bit was about the Fram Anti-Drain-Back-Valve. I haven't performed any emperical testing on Fram oil filters for possible oil-drain-back, so I rely on the posts I find here on BITOG.

Since many people don't have the resources or time to devote to the study of engine lubricants and filtration means, the majority of us must rely on what experiments and studies other folks have performed. Reguardless of how methodical and/or scientific they are, the majority of people have little choice but to trust what their fellow lubrication-enthusiests can provide to them.

Sorry, what were you saying?

[ December 03, 2005, 10:05 AM: Message edited by: Malaclypse ]

Some people have noticed startup noise and consumption with Mobil 1, so it is not unusual. Sounds like he may have found an oil his car prefers. Which Royal Purple product is he using?

Just the regular 5W-30 Motor Oil found at Murray's. Not the Full Racing Products.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back